Proposal: Florida and Edmonton (Draisaitl)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Sina

Oct 4, 2021
The Florida Panthers are the 1st team in NHL history to ice 3 of the top 4 overall picks in the same draft year, on the same team.
2014 1st overall Aaron Ekblad, 2nd overall Sam Reinhart and 4th overall Sam Bennett

If a team was so concerned about making history for such a silly reason they can go out and acquire the the top 4 picks in the 2012 draft for so much cheaper.

1. Yakupov
2. Murray
3. Galchenyuk
4. Reinhart

See simple and easy! You're welcome.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As an Oiler fan if all things were equal I would take Barkov over Draisaitl. I think if we had Barkov we beat the Jets as we led for over 90 minutes in the 4 games but weren’t good enough defensively to close those games out . With Barkov contract looming it would take a couple of of big adds to get Edmonton to consider it . All in all both are great players . I rate them Draisaitl 9.2 and Barkov 9.3 . I value defensive forwards over offensive forwards . Offensive players can be shut down in the playoffs a defensive player is a totally different animal as they will always be useful

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Barkov played with McDavid he’d have 200 pts a season. Not to mention Draisaitl can’t touch Barkov defensively. Take off those glasses.

And why do we even need Draisaitl, we have a top 3, if not the best, forward core in the league.

Holy hyperbole Batman! :laugh:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan if all things were equal I would take Barkov over Draisaitl. I think if we had Barkov we beat the Jets as we led for over 90 minutes in the 4 games but weren’t good enough defensively to close those games out . With Barkov contract looming it would take a couple of of big adds to get Edmonton to consider it . All in all both are great players . I rate them Draisaitl 9.2 and Barkov 9.3 . I value defensive forwards over offensive forwards . Offensive players can be shut down in the playoffs a defensive player is a totally different animal as they will always be useful

Well, it is interesting you say that. I certainly like Barkov but I take Drai over him. I think in then real world you have to take in all of the factors when evaluating players, like offense and contracts. Even with Barkov's better defensive abilities Draisaitl comes out the clear better choice everything considered.

We have the two players in the league who swap Hart trophies back and forth. You don't trade one for a worse contract and better defense.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Florida wouldn't trade Barkov, let's just stop that on its tracks. Unless we add to the scenario a sideplot where Barkov doesn't want to commit long-term. Otherwise Florida has plenty of assets to trade for Drai that are not named Barkov.

Florida has plenty of assets that are very interesting pieces. But not necessarily for Drai. It needs to start with Barkov, extended at the type of contract that he won't (and shouldn't) sign.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Well, it is interesting you say that. I certainly like Barkov but I take Drai over him. I think in then real world you have to take in all of the factors when evaluating players, like offense and contracts. Even with Barkov's better defensive abilities Draisaitl comes out the clear better choice everything considered.

We have the two players in the league who swap Hart trophies back and forth. You don't trade one for a worse contract and better defense.

I see you did not fully read my post . I said all things being equal so Barkov would have to be signed at 8.5 million for the next 4 years other wise they can go pound sand

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I see you did not fully read my post . I said all things being equal so Barkov would have to be signed at 8.5 million for the next 4 years other wise they can go pound sand

Well, I did. I didn't quite get that from your post, and I was addressing your views that you value defensive forwards over offensive forwards. I don't agree, but I didn't mean to imply your views aren't valid, just that I disagree with you.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Obviously the Oilers don't trade Drai, but I think Oilers fans aren't quite getting the hypothetical. IF Edmonton is trading Drai as the OP says for the purposes of this thread, and Florida offered Barkov, that'd be basically the best case scenario for the Oilers. I think something like Lundell+Knight+another good piece also would be a decent deal IF you have to deal Drai.

So no, the Oilers aren't going to make those deals in the real world where they don't have to trade Drai (although Florida wouldn't do Barkov-Drai 1 for 1 either in the real world), but for the purposes of this discussion we don't need to get bogged down. I think the point is in a world where Edmonton is trading Drai, what offer would get it done (and be better than other offers)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
To Florida: Draisaitl

To Edmonton: 2023 1st, Lundell, Knight, Hornqvist, Vatrano

Florida get Draisaitl

Edmonton get a high-end C prospect, a 2023 1st, their goalie of the future in Knight, and a couple of capable veterans to make it all work financially
Meth……the only way I see someone thinking this is fair……meth!

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
The real question here is if a player of top talent worthy of being traded for Drai would be willing to waive the big fat NMC in their contract.
O it’s Edmonton. Nope.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think Drai is more valuable as he put up great numbers even when McD was injured. The offensive difference more than makes up for the difference defensively. Also players signed to good deals with term, correct me if I'm wrong but Drai is significantly younger and he already has a hart under his belt.
LOL Draisatl isn't even 2 month younger...but right now Draisatl is only more valuable because he has 3 more seasons left on his deal whereas Barkov is on an expiring deal otherwise they are both equal in value.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
LOL Draisatl isn't even 2 month younger...but right now Draisatl is only more valuable because he has 3 more seasons left on his deal whereas Barkov is on an expiring deal otherwise they are both equal in value.

I disagree, and Draisaitl has the hardware to prove it.

Not a knock on Barkov. Hell of a player. Underrated by fans because he plays in Florida. If he played in Toronto they'd be talking about him turning water into wine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad