Proposal: Florida and Edmonton (Draisaitl)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
The Florida Panthers are the 1st team in NHL history to ice 3 of the top 4 overall picks in the same draft year, on the same team.
2014 1st overall Aaron Ekblad, 2nd overall Sam Reinhart and 4th overall Sam Bennett

Florida can solidify that record into gretzky-esque separation by icing all top 4 overall picks in the 2014 draft.
They're just missing 3rd overall pick Leon Draisaitl

In a parallel universe let's assume a scenario where Leon is up for grabs, right now, for whatever reason.
What assets could the Panthers package that would facilitate a balanced trade for the German? The only untouchables are those three 2014 picks, because Bill Zito all of a sudden became obsessed with that idea.

Barkov? Huberdeau? Knight?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
As much as I like Barkov, it would probably have to be Barkov (sign and trade) + another piece. Barkov is UFA after this year, so that detracts from his value in a deal for Leon who has 4 more years on his deal, unless Barkov comes signed. Even if he does come signed, Leon is the bigger offensive piece and I think he'd have more value.

Wouldn't make sense to give up more than that from a Florida perspective anyway.

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
Florida wouldn't trade Barkov, let's just stop that on its tracks. Unless we add to the scenario a sideplot where Barkov doesn't want to commit long-term. Otherwise Florida has plenty of assets to trade for Drai that are not named Barkov.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
This is pointless. Let’s keep trading picks and prospects till we have all 30 first rounders. Didn’t make the show, we want ya!!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Florida wouldn't trade Barkov, let's just stop that on its tracks. Unless we add to the scenario a sideplot where Barkov doesn't want to commit long-term. Otherwise Florida has plenty of assets to trade for Drai that are not named Barkov.
Like what? What are you giving up for a young top player? Goalies don't have that kind of value so unless you're going for a package deal that is too good to pass up and would destroy Florida, I don't see these other assets that would get it done.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Edmonton rightfully should insist Barkov be a part of any deal in which Draisaitl is involved.

Personally I don’t think there’s a massive skill gap between the two and I think both are pretty even in value of what they can do as a player. However, Draisaitl is on a really good contract given what he’s been accomplishing along side McDavid.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Edmonton rightfully should insist Barkov be a part of any deal in which Draisaitl is involved.

Personally I don’t think there’s a massive skill gap between the two and I think both are pretty even in value of what they can do as a player. However, Draisaitl is on a really good contract given what he’s been accomplishing along side McDavid.
I think Drai is more valuable as he put up great numbers even when McD was injured. The offensive difference more than makes up for the difference defensively. Also players signed to good deals with term, correct me if I'm wrong but Drai is significantly younger and he already has a hart under his belt.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think Drai is more valuable as he put up great numbers even when McD was injured. The offensive difference more than makes up for the difference defensively. Also players signed to good deals with term, correct me if I'm wrong but Drai is significantly younger and he already has a hart under his belt.
If you're referring to Barkov vs Draisaitl age gap, if I remember correctly it's pretty minimal.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Draisaitl contract makes it too hard to deal for him. Top 3 contract in the league IMO. The ask would probably be Barkov signed+ Knight + another piece or Barkov + Huberdeau which Florida shouldn’t do.

I feel like it’s too hard to accurately trade for draisaitl without overpaying due to his contract + play

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Why not Eichel for Draisaitl? Same logic applies?
Eichel for Draisaitl IMO is actually fair ish in value alone. No chance Edmonton trades him at all, let alone for picks and players, considering he’s signed with term at 8.5.

In said parallel universe where he would be up for grabs there is , I would say less than 10 players in the league he would be traded for.

Matthews, Eichel, Mackinnon, Makar, Vasilevsky to name a few who would hold similar value.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Eichel for Draisaitl IMO is actually fair ish in value alone. No chance Edmonton trades him at all, let alone for picks and players, considering he’s signed with term at 8.5.

In said parallel universe where he would be up for grabs there is , I would say less than 10 players in the league he would be traded for.

Matthews, Eichel, Mackinnon, Makar, Vasilevsky to name a few who would hold similar value.
You’d trade drai for a goalie? Vasilevsky? I’m only making that trade if Hedman is also coming back. Would definitely be a parallel world where eichel is healthy and signed to same contract as Drai.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I think contracts aside though you could very reasonably argue either player versus the other and not be worlds apart.

Draisaitl certainly has shown to produce more offensively than barkov thus far. However, Barkov has also had a very very good career to this point. The funny part about the whole situation is that I think Edmonton could stand to benefit from having a more defensive superstar like Barkov opposed to a Draisaitl given what they have currently

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think contracts aside though you could very reasonably argue either player versus the other and not be worlds apart.

Draisaitl certainly has shown to produce more offensively than barkov thus far. However, Barkov has also had a very very good career to this point. The funny part about the whole situation is that I think Edmonton could stand to benefit from having a more defensive superstar like Barkov opposed to a Draisaitl given what they have currently
And I disagree that you could argue either player and think Drai is better and that the offense he produces is more value than the D barkov produces. That said I agree that Edmonton could benefit from what Barkov brings but that doesn't mean you trade them in this world one for one. Especially since you can't put contracts aside.
I'd argue it's the same case for most of the top players that they all trade offense for D and I wouldn't trade Matthews or Mackinnon for Barkov either. That said, if it's Barkov at 8 mil and Matthew at his current contract I'd easily take Barkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad