Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, I don't believe in drafting someone who needs their entire development to go right just to be a 13th forward that sits in the press box.

Great for Pezzetta to beat the odds and he's a beauty person; but I still would have much preferred taking the shot on Sokolov even if he never made it.

Pezzetta's are a dime a dozen.

That's pretty much how every player is at that stage, though.

The 3rd round has so many good players after 69, unsure how it was over. After the 3rd its slimmer but there's still a few nice players that had higher potential than Florian.
I've read that numerous times, people getting upset the Habs picked a player over someone else.

Majority of the time neither player is anything good.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I've read that numerous times, people getting upset the Habs picked a player over someone else.

Well not necessarily. If Sokolov had made it, he would have been a top 6 goal scorer with size.

Pezzetta met his maximum upside, there was nothing else there. It's rare someone like him actually meets the ceiling of his ability.

You are almost always better off drafting skilled players who reinvent themselves as it goes. Gorton talked about it in the previous draft video, even in bottom 6ers, there's history of production.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Reality is about 3 or4 guys out of the 2nd round , and 1-2 out of the 3rd become top 6 players, top 4D. After that maybe 1 guy a round and not every year becomes a top player. Odds are slim. But. Odds of picking such a guy go down generally if you don't pick guys with a little something that gives them a high ceiling. Yeah, no purpose drafting a guy who if the stars align gets to the 4th line

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

True. With 2 exceptions.
1) The guy(s) after the Habs pick becomes a great player = you never stop hearing about it.
2) The guy the Habs get is the better pick than the guys after, you never hear about it.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well not necessarily. If Sokolov had made it, he would have been a top 6 goal scorer with size.

Pezzetta met his maximum upside, there was nothing else there. It's rare someone like him actually meets the ceiling of his ability.

You are almost always better off drafting skilled players who reinvent themselves as it goes. Gorton talked about it in the previous draft video, even in bottom 6ers, there's history of production.
Yes, but that history of production usually continues into whatever CHL league, or other that player goes into.

Pezzetta's production slowed as he entered the OHL and already changed his play style.

It's not impossible for players who produce less to change their role sooner and potentially easier to change how they're perceived at a younger age.

A player like Chris Terry who's also a top producing in the A can't hang in the NHL because he's got nothing else to offer and his skill isn't enough to be a regular NHLer.

Now, obviously skilled junior players have changed their game and succeeded in the NHL, but it's the same for everyone. Your lower drafted player might just not be able to change. The probability of any player being useful in the NHL is low.

Corey Locke big point producing amounted to nothing in the NHL mean while Nate Thompson just had a nice, long career and just retired.

You can find evidence of the inverse where a player produced less, but had the intangibles and went on to do nothing.

The good players with size are harder to get and tend to go higher in the draft and cost a lot to acquire. If you're going to throw darts, might as well go with a player that is more rare, but ultimately neither player later in the draft will amount to much.

On an interesting boat I was looking at the 2018 draft and it seems that from the 3rd round on Harris is the best player at this point from it.

Reactions: rve24

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes, but that history of production usually continues into whatever CHL league, or other that player goes into.

Pezzetta's production slowed as he entered the OHL and already changed his play style.

It's not impossible for players who produce less to change their role sooner and potentially easier to change how they're perceived at a younger age.

A player like Chris Terry who's also a top producing in the A can't hang in the NHL because he's got nothing else to offer and his skill isn't enough to be a regular NHLer.

Now, obviously skilled junior players have changed their game and succeeded in the NHL, but it's the same for everyone. Your lower drafted player might just not be able to change. The probability of any player being useful in the NHL is low.

Corey Locke big point producing amounted to nothing in the NHL mean while Nate Thompson just had a nice, long career and just retired.

You can find evidence of the inverse where a player produced less, but had the intangibles and went on to do nothing.

The good players with size are harder to get and tend to go higher in the draft and cost a lot to acquire. If you're going to throw darts, might as well go with a player that is more rare, but ultimately neither player later in the draft will amount to much.

On an interesting boat I was looking at the 2018 draft and it seems that from the 3rd round on Harris is the best player at this point from it.

I get it more for Florian because he's a 6'3 human who can drop the gloves.. Pezzetta isn't a fearsome fighter at all, he's just a guy.

All I'm saying is that I'd always go for someone with a tool or trait that might make them something at the NHL level, or something of a rare skill-set (a 6;3" forward who can play a bit and chuck fists at a high level would be rare, so again I like Florian more as an archetype than Pezzetta).

We were able to find Staubitz, Kostopolous, Pyatt, etc. there's no shortage of bench warming plugs who will get their faces punched in for a pay cheque. No point in drafting someone who needs everything right to get there.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I wouldn't have picked him that high but to me it felt after Fowler the draft was over, they knew the pickings would be slim perhaps. That said if he ends up half of what his brother has shown then good for us.
I think they felt he'd be gone later. At least that's what I got from that behind the scenes draft video.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Even if Florian doesn't progress his offensive game the Bash Bro's story line and watching them scare the shit out of opposing teams is practically worth the 4th rounder on its own. Add in the fact that there is the 'late bloomer' effect ala Arber and it's a worthwhile gamble.

I originally thought it was too early at the time of the draft, but the reality is if you're drafting a skill guy in the 4th he's probably got some legitimate flaws (size, skating, IQ, whatever). The hit rate of finding a legitimate full time NHL'er at that point of the draft is like 1/10. At least with Florian he can make it on his size, skating, toughness and attitude alone and will be motivated to play with his brother.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We were able to find Staubitz, Kostopolous, Pyatt, etc. there's no shortage of bench warming plugs who will get their faces punched in for a pay cheque. No point in drafting someone who needs everything right to get there.
Pezzetta is trending better than Staubitz.

Jul 6, 2016
I read yesterday that Florian has still grown up during the Summer and he is way better offensively. His Junior coach is impressed by his progress. Anything can happen.

Reactions: bopeep

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I get it more for Florian because he's a 6'3 human who can drop the gloves.. Pezzetta isn't a fearsome fighter at all, he's just a guy.

All I'm saying is that I'd always go for someone with a tool or trait that might make them something at the NHL level, or something of a rare skill-set (a 6;3" forward who can play a bit and chuck fists at a high level would be rare, so again I like Florian more as an archetype than Pezzetta).

True and Pezzetta had that trait, determination.

Not that you can't find a Pezzetta type. Nick Ritchie is there, but I don't think he's smart enough to kill penalties.

I think that's what most teams do is just take a trait.

But I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you meant go with the small player who has produced later and hope for the best, than to take others who may have produced less, but have bigger size.

Going for a player with a strong trait they can build around certainly is wise.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Pezzetta is just another Kostopolous. Energy guy who's a literal punching bag.

Except that Pezzetta occasionally wins a fight and actually produces some numbers.

It's ok to admit that he has turned into a successful sixth round draft pick. Though I suppose if the Habs are really lucky they might draft another Jake Evans, who could overachieve for a few months and then be overpaid for four years.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Except that Pezzetta occasionally wins a fight and actually produces some numbers.

It's ok to admit that he has turned into a successful sixth round draft pick. Though I suppose if the Habs are really lucky they might draft another Jake Evans, who could overachieve for a few months and then be overpaid for four years.

I already admitted he beat the odds and had his development go perfectly to achieve what he is today.. a 13th forward who gets punched in the face and eats hot dogs in the press box while not complaining.

I'm merely saying I don't think its worth investing picks in guys like that because you need everything to go right for them to play a role that can be filled. We could literally sign Comtois to a PTO like Vegas did and get the same value. The likelihood of a 6th round pick panning out is low so I'd rather bet on a trait that might bare something of actual value to a roster.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Wtk admitting he was wrong? You have a better chance of seeing a second sun in the sky.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's the case for anybody drafted in the sixth round.

Should the Habs waive the picks?

It's not the case for anybody drafted in the sixth round.

You identify people with an actual trait like a great shot but might have other things going against them that need to scale up to play. But if they hit, they can become something of value.

The guy I wanted was Sokolov who didn't hit but he had a big pedigree the year before and actually had some high end offensive traits, but heavy feet, a shoulder injury and conditioning issues.

If Sokolov hit, he's a top 6 scoring forward with size. Pezzetta was never going to be more than he is now, they got lucky he hit his upside but he's easy to find. A top 6 scorer with size is not easy to find.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
50 players were drafted after Pezzetta, and only two (Jesper Bratt and Vincent Desharnais) bring more value.

I know he didn't hit.

Are you even reading my posts?

Yes I do, you're trapped in the fallacy that Sokolov would have been a shrewd gamble.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
50 players were drafted after Pezzetta, and only two (Jesper Bratt and Vincent Desharnais) bring more value.

Yes I do, you're trapped in the fallacy that Sokolov would have been a shrewd gamble.

And you are trapped in the fallacy that the philosophy of drafting a guy who's ultimate upside is a 13th forward is a good investment of a draft pick just because it worked out in this one instance.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
And you are trapped in the fallacy that the philosophy of drafting a guy who's ultimate upside is a 13th forward is a good investment of a draft pick just because it worked out in this one instance.

My philosophy is that with a sixth round draft pick, or really anything from the 4th round onward, you take what you can get.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think you need to draft a variety of players as acquiring anyone through free agency is cost prohibitive. This includes good fourth liners. I don't have any issue with taking one or two per year, preferably past the 5th round. The issue is when you get hyper fixated on it like Bergy and draft ten of them in the top 3 rounds.

Lernout and Crisp in particular with that much talent still on the board. Sorokin went pretty closely after Lernout, as did Brayden Point. Before our next pick so did Devon Toews. Koberstein was another one of those picks and Forsling went directly after him. Don't look at all the people that went between Crisp and Andrighetto and then between Ghetto and Reway for the sake of your mental health. There are literally over a dozen guys that could have helped the Price core.

There's no problem with getting a Pezz in the 6th or 7th round. Going for that above that is ridiculous. I didn't mind Xhekaj because we had extra picks in every round. I just hope all the scouts from the 2012-2017 period have been fired.

Reactions: Durvann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad