Flint Firebirds 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Fun game last night. They played really well. Day continues to make the big saves to keep them in games. Zurawski is really starting to find his way. Martin has been skating his butt off the last 3-4 games and despite the fact he didn’t have a point until last night he’s played well lately. Positive comments all done, I don’t think this is the year. They’ve had a relatively soft schedule to start and they’re under .500. This looks like a team that’s a 5-7 seed right now and I’m betting we see a repeat of 22-23. Middle of the pack team down the stretch that occasionally shows flashes of greatness, GM wastes picks on an inconsequential player that doesn’t move the needle and they get bounced in the first round. If they want to prove me wrong I’m all for it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Fun game last night. They played really well. Day continues to make the big saves to keep them in games. Zurawski is really starting to find his way. Martin has been skating his butt off the last 3-4 games and despite the fact he didn’t have a point until last night he’s played well lately. Positive comments all done, I don’t think this is the year. They’ve had a relatively soft schedule to start and they’re under .500. This looks like a team that’s a 5-7 seed right now and I’m betting we see a repeat of 22-23. Middle of the pack team down the stretch that occasionally shows flashes of greatness, GM wastes picks on an inconsequential player that doesn’t move the needle and they get bounced in the first round. If they want to prove me wrong I’m all for it.
I think that as the '23 deadline approached, the firebirds were not seen as being one of real contenders by the players they hoped to acquire. Kind of a catch-22.
Flint is really just a couple of very good 19 yr olds shy of seriously contending for a top seed imo. The team has the picks and young, very replaceble later players to get a game changer like Musty.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think that as the '23 deadline approached, the firebirds were not seen as being one of real contenders by the players they hoped to acquire. Kind of a catch-22.
Flint is really just a couple of very good 19 yr olds shy of seriously contending for a top seed imo. The team has the picks and young, very replaceble later players to get a game changer like Musty.
Last year we debated about whether Flint should go for it in 23-24 or 24-25. I stated that you were wrong about 23-24 and I was proven right. I posted I might be wrong too and it very much appears right now I was. They’re currently in 8th. I’m sure the players they want to acquire don’t view them as contenders right now either. Nobody on this team can finish right now and they’ve had a relatively soft schedule so far. The only player who has been consistently good is Day. They need a D that can generate offense. They need a 1C and they need a LW that can finish. They don’t have the assets to acquire all that. I don’t think mgmt has the foresight to realize they are a first or second round exit at best right now and they repeat 22-23 where they waste assets on another ineffective Nolan Dann/Oliver Peer type player. They don’t really have guys that will garner a ton if they sell either but I think they should. They’ve been playing decent D with great goaltending but OHL games aren’t won 2-1. I will gladly admit I was wrong if they get rolling but I’ve been far from impressed so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad