Flint Firebirds 2023 - 24 Off-Season Thread

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And there’s no reason for them to take that strategy. They should never finish worst than silver. Teams in leagues have limitations to acquiring talent (cap, assets etc) so yeah role players have to be used. There is no such limitation with the talent pool Canada has for the WJC. They don’t need to use role players.

Yeah, they do; because Rehkopf and Romani for example are not best on PK Canada has to offer. (If they make the team), they can an appropriate amount even strength and every PP.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
And there’s no reason for them to take that strategy. They should never finish worst than silver. Teams in leagues have limitations to acquiring talent (cap, assets etc) so yeah role players have to be used. There is no such limitation with the talent pool Canada has for the WJC. They don’t need to use role players.
If they just went most talented sure they’d score 10 goals a game but they’d also give up 6 from guys in the bottom 6 F group that aren’t strong defensively. Always a good idea to have 2 strong lines that can score followed up by 2 defensive minded lines(that doesn’t mean they can’t score themselves- but defence is their role)

Imagine Canada only picked offensive d men like Parekh and yakemchuk?? They’d get absolutely embarrassed by the top 6 of USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia when they come back, maybe even Czechia. That’s where they need guys like Mateychuk, Dickinson, etc that do both.

There is certain roles in the team they need to fill- not everyone needs to be a Bedard and light the opposing teams up.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Just went to look something up on EliteProspects and noticed that Jalen Smereck is now 27 years old and has signed with the Toledo Walleye after leading the Cincinnati Cyclones in scoring with 71pts in 70 games last year. Sahil Panwar was 4th on the team. Hopefully both get another shot at the AHL this year and manage to stick.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Thanks for that. Amadeus is usually a good interview. I was intrigued to hear him talk about Ulysses potential. I’m not sure big brother is the most objective evaluater but he seemed to imply (infer?) that Ulysses’ ankle injury hurt his draft stock and that he has the potential to make the team and produce at some point. I don’t see that happening this year but it would be great if he could crack the lineup next season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Still early but quite a few Import picks have begun to sign with CHL clubs over the last week and number more have apparently left their home teams, leading to the assumption they are on their way to the CHL also. I’m curious about where Jokinen would play if he signs and how the D would shake out. You have to think they traded for Mania and Collins to keep and play. I can’t see Bertucci going anywhere. I personally do not want to see Blake Smith moved, but if he’s not….is Jokinen going to sign, come over and not play in the Top 4? I don’t see OA Smith or NHL drafted Bertucci, Collins or Mania playing outside of the Top 4 either. Sooooo…..? I mean if he does sign and your DCore is Smith-Bertucci, Collins-Mania and Jokinen/Jenken/Fellinger that’s pretty solid but I can’t see everybody being happy and as of right now it doesn’t even look like Bertucci or Mania will be gone for WJC.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Awesome!!! Have no idea how his game will translate to NA and how he’ll work out but I really liked the scouting report on him. Obviously, I want Jokinen to sign too but that would create a logjam on D. I mean, there kinda already IS one now. I really like the Top 6 as it stands and someone would have to be moved. If it’s Blake Smith, they damn well better fill his OA spot with Dalyn Wakely or something close because Smith would be a huge loss in my opinion. On the other hand, if they keep Smith, they’re almost certain to lose their entire Top 4 D after the year. Smith and Collins age out and I don’t see Bertucci or Mania in the O as OA’s.

Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If they’re going for it the could use a little upgrade on the wings but definetly need a center and two just came off the board.

OA Cedric Guindon for basically a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Carson Rehkopf for 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 7th.

…..and that’s why you can’t flush picks down the toilet on Nolan Dann’s and Oliver Peer’s. I think if Flint is going to truly contend for the West they’re gonna have to move one of Zurawski, Martin or Lombardi now.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If they’re going for it the could use a little upgrade on the wings but definetly need a center and two just came off the board.

OA Cedric Guindon for basically a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Carson Rehkopf for 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 7th.

…..and that’s why you can’t flush picks down the toilet on Nolan Dann’s and Oliver Peer’s. I think if Flint is going to truly contend for the West they’re gonna have to move one of Zurawski, Martin or Lombardi now.
I think Zurwaeksi will absolutely be moved.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
you answered your own question
Well that's tough to hear.

They trying to move him for a piece that will help the top 6? Or just a bunch of picks?

If they can get the top import pick to report and trade Bert in a deal for top 6 C this could work out.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well that's tough to hear.

They trying to move him for a piece that will help the top 6? Or just a bunch of picks?

If they can get the top import pick to report and trade Bert in a deal for top 6 C this could work out.
i think they are trying to do a hockey trade.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
you answered your own question
I don’t doubt the credibility of your statement but it sure seems like an odd time for him to ask out. They should be one of the better teams in the West this year and going for it. It’s the entire same staff he played for last year. There are some new guys in the room and a few that have left but it just seems weird to me that he’d play here for 3 years and now ask out. Hopefully McParlan can pull off some magic and at least make this a lateral move for the roster if not an upgrade.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don’t doubt the credibility of your statement but it sure seems like an odd time for him to ask out. They should be one of the better teams in the West this year and going for it. It’s the entire same staff he played for last year. There are some new guys in the room and a few that have left but it just seems weird to me that he’d play here for 3 years and now ask out. Hopefully McParlan can pull off some magic and at least make this a lateral move for the roster if not an upgrade.
him and Barlow are best friend, I think they want to play together

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think Zurwaeksi will absolutely be moved.
Not very often a kid picked in the top 6 gets moved. If he does get traded at the deadline I hope he factors into them not having to spend nearly as many draft picks to acquire the player they’re after.

him and Barlow are best friend, I think they want to play together
You mentioned that previously and it makes sense. Tell Colby we will welcome him with open arms and huge cheers.

• Haha
Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
We that's a plot twist I didn't see coming.
You kind of had to figure Barlow was gonna be traded this year. I was hoping Flint would be high on the list of possible destinations. I figured the only way Flint was going to be capable of truly challenging for the OHL title vs a couple teams in the West and what is shaping up to be a monster Eastern Conf would be to land a veteran 1C or 2C and a top 6 (even better, top 3) Wing such as Barlow. If Bertucci is moved, it’s imperative McParlan does well on the Tristan trade AND signs Jokinen. Then you better hope Jokinen is a quality Top 2-3-4 D in the OHL.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
just because he asked doesn’t mean they will. I think if he does move it’ll be a hockey trade not a sell
I don’t know that I’ve ever heard one negative thing about Tristan in his time as a Firebird. I hate it, but if he asked out and you can do it without torpedo-ing the season, you gotta try and take care of the kid. It does put McParlan in a pretty tough spot though. Hopefully…if he does want out….and they can’t land Barlow…a deal can be worked out that makes everybody happy. Which is easier said than done.

Reactions: MJ5

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024
I don’t know that I’ve ever heard one negative thing about Tristan in his time as a Firebird. I hate it, but if he asked out and you can do it without torpedo-ing the season, you gotta try and take care of the kid. It does put McParlan in a pretty tough spot though. Hopefully…if he does want out….and they can’t land Barlow…a deal can be worked out that makes everybody happy. Which is easier said than done.
Not sure Flint has the draft capital that will be needed to land Barlow ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad