Post-Game Talk: Flames vs Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Michalek gets two solid goals & the least amount of votes. I wonder if it was Spezza or Karlsson that got two goals how outraged people would be if they didn't get the most votes. :shakehead
i think people will place importance on the 3rd period because the 2nd period almost nullified our play in the 1st.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Most TOI other than Karlsson 20+. Is this 5/6 time? He keeps getting all the toughest defensive assignments. My guess is your perspective must be based on previous bias . Look at Boychuks. Brewer, Schenn, Jorges Beuachemin's numbers etc and tell me what is different other than games played.

Hahahahaha. You're funny.

Anyway, I have already said that Gryba is a quality D who plays within his limits. There is nothing wrong with that. He will settle into a 5/6 role, and I am very happy to have him there.

Yes, he has had quite a bit of ice time this year. However if you use raw TOI data you have to consider who kills the majority of penalties. If you select for only 5V5 data you clearly see that his TOI is roughly where you would expect it to be at the upper edge of a 5/6 role. There is also context. We have 2 legit top 4 D (Karlsson and Methot). As long as this situation stays this way I would expect guys better suited for a 5/6 role to be getting extra minutes and duties that they probably should not have.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
2.3%

Our new odds.

2.3%?

They may as well just hand us the Cup and give Turris the Conn Smythe right now :sarcasm:

It would've mattered a lot more if they took care of him when it happened, instead of Carkner waiting until the next game to go after him.

Carks didn't "wait" until the next game. He wasn't dressed for game 1 in that series. He came in as soon as he was able and addressed the situation. Besides, do you want Neil to go and fight Boyle right after it happens? I doubt that Boyle would have taken the fight, and unlike Carkner, we couldn't afford to have Neil suspended for a playoff game. As much as Boyle deserved to have his teeth force fed to him, it was better that Carkner do the force feeding that Neil.

Last edited:

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's frustrating how well our top 6 is playing right now. Both the Spezza/Hemsky/Milo and Turris/Mac/Stone lines look incredible. It's too bad we couldn't have had this sooner.

Stone doesn't look out of place on that line either. He could very well challenge for a permanent top 6 spot next year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
But the Rangers didn't bury us and Carkner was awesome.

I think there is a different between "fights" and "proper aggression" that people get mixed up here.

For instance, if Kassian isn't fighting... HE DOESN'T DO ****. Heck, he doesn't even do anything when we look intimidated.

Neil too, nowadays, he'll throw a big hit now and again but he doesn't step up to the other team's face and agitate them when we needed him most.

Carkner would always respond whenever anyone even looked at our players funny. That's why I loved him.

That's why Boro will be loved here. He plays with consistent physicality all the time, not just when he is squaring off.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I think there is a different between "fights" and "proper aggression" that people get mixed up here.

For instance, if Kassian isn't fighting... HE DOESN'T DO ****. Heck, he doesn't even do anything when we look intimidated.

Neil too, nowadays, he'll throw a big hit now and again but he doesn't step up to the other team's face and agitate them when we needed him most.

Carkner would always respond whenever anyone even looked at our players funny. That's why I loved him.

That's why Boro will be loved here. He plays with consistent physicality all the time, not just when he is squaring off.

I kinda wish Boro was up here now. I miss his hits and his physical play. He was like a human highlight reel of ass-kicking. I miss Carks too. I understand why they let him go... but still, his presence in a game was always easy to see. Seems like the only guy who ever wanted to fight him was Toronto's mega-goon Orr.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Carks didn't "wait" until the next game. He wasn't dressed for game 1 in that series. He came in as soon as he was able and addressed the situation. Besides, do you want Neil to go and fight Boyle right after it happens? I doubt that Boyle would have taken the fight, and unlike Carkner, we couldn't afford to have Neil suspended for a playoff game. As much as Boyle deserved to have his teeth force fed to him, it was better that Carkner do the force feeding that Neil.

The problem is, waiting until Game 2 gave Karlsson a lot of time to think about the 6-foot-7 monster that went after him in the first game. It's all about head games. No matter who was on the ice, you have to take care of that cheap stuff right away, or the seeds take root in the brain. Even if it means guys who aren't fighters all pile up and give the instigator some shots...that's what you do. Respond right away. Don't let any doubts or fear take hold.

While I do like that Carkner did step up in game 2, it was just too late. The damage had already been done. We're just damned lucky that Boyle is the biggest marshmallow in the league (for a guy his size).

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I kinda wish Boro was up here now. I miss his hits and his physical play. He was like a human highlight reel of ass-kicking. I miss Carks too. I understand why they let him go... but still, his presence in a game was always easy to see. Seems like the only guy who ever wanted to fight him was Toronto's mega-goon Orr.

The problem with having a tough guy D is you're down to 5 D for five minutes.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Hahahahaha. You're funny.

Anyway, I have already said that Gryba is a quality D who plays within his limits. There is nothing wrong with that. He will settle into a 5/6 role, and I am very happy to have him there.

Yes, he has had quite a bit of ice time this year. However if you use raw TOI data you have to consider who kills the majority of penalties. If you select for only 5V5 data you clearly see that his TOI is roughly where you would expect it to be at the upper edge of a 5/6 role. There is also context. We have 2 legit top 4 D (Karlsson and Methot). As long as this situation stays this way I would expect guys better suited for a 5/6 role to be getting extra minutes and duties that they probably should not have.

So do PK minutes not really count from your "real 5x5" time on ice? Is it offence that gives a player your 1-4 status? So would PW46 be a 3/4 because he's on the PP.
Do 5/6 players usually play against the other teams top lines? Is it offence that gives a player your 1-4 status? What , hypothetically,would he need to do(seems to have best defensive numbers) in your mind to be, let's say, a 4 as you have him tagged as a 5/6.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I love the PP with Karlsson, Hoffman, Hemsky, Michalek and Spezza. Yes they were guilty of overpassing but man that puck movement is beautiful. I'd like to see them set up Hoffman for a few more one timers but this looks like a beautiful unit.

The guys on the broadcast commented on it but it's difficult to imagine MacArthur being in Carlyle's doghouse. The guy has been just a great, great top 6 winger all year long. Consistently brings the effort.

Anyone notice McGrattan's skating? Looks so much better than in his Ottawa days. Good for him.

Remember when everyone was pissed about Kassian's fight? Woke the team up right after that, Kassian is great.

Fans get pizza! I asked someone that went.

Kassian is on the team to fight bums like Westgarth who finish checks on Karlsson. That is literally his only purpose on the team. How could someone be mad at that?

Last edited:

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Kassian is on the team to fight bums like Westgarth who finish checks on Karlsson. That is literally his only purpose on the team. How could someone be mad at that?

many ppl didnt like his fight.

LOL Kassian YOU IDIOT

Kassian is so worthless :D

Thanks for taking away offense, Kassian. So pointless.

Kassian gets an instigator!?!?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

#resignkassassassin

He just took away a potential scoring chance from our team, while at the same time giving Calgary a PP

What the hell was the point of that?

Well that fight was a bad idea wasn't it.

Karlsson just got into the O Zone nicely pressure was on, and bam Kassian kills it i love him, but he has has to see whats going on before a fight.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i was peeved with Kassian b/c we were going on offense and I'm indifferent about fighting.

After watching the replay, I'm very happy with what Kassian did, but I can't see how he can avoid getting suspended. It's clear he came off the bench, and went straight to Westgarth. 50k is a lot of money but rules are rules

Last edited:

Jorec

Mar 4, 2011

i7qZfWV3W4P4P.gif

:bow:

Me too

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some people have such a heavy pro-Spezza agenda, they'll pimp him up and throw #65 (and others) under the bus no matter what happened on the ice. It's getting hilarious. Those guys are fun to read just for the massive lols.

Some people are so anti-Spezza they will go out of their way to pimp every player but him despite how great he's been down the stretch and will even hate on people for being his fans (I know, sounds weird when he's been with the team for over a decade and is one of the most prolific players in the league..oh and the Captain). Those guys are sad to read it makes Sens fans look bad. Almost as bad as Leafs fans.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
my respect at least has increased for Kassian, even though the hit by Westgarth was perfectly fine.

fight is here and below is why it happened

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
So do PK minutes not really count from your "real 5x5" time on ice? Is it offence that gives a player your 1-4 status? So would PW46 be a 3/4 because he's on the PP.
Do 5/6 players usually play against the other teams top lines? Is it offence that gives a player your 1-4 status? What , hypothetically,would he need to do(seems to have best defensive numbers) in your mind to be, let's say, a 4 as you have him tagged as a 5/6.

*yawn*

We lead the league in minor penalties taken. If we were an average team all of that would come out in the wash. If we are on the PK way more than most other team it is skews the ice time stat towards guys who PK. 5V5 ice time is a better indicator of where a guy slots in for that reason.

Not rocket science.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's frustrating how well our top 6 is playing right now. Both the Spezza/Hemsky/Milo and Turris/Mac/Stone lines look incredible. It's too bad we couldn't have had this sooner.

Stone doesn't look out of place on that line either. He could very well challenge for a permanent top 6 spot next year.

If we could retain Michalek and Hemsky, once Ryan's back we could have Stone slot in alongside Z and Hoff

That could be pretty sexy

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
my respect at least has increased for Kassian, even though the hit by Westgarth was perfectly fine.

fight is here and below is why it happened

I was good with what Kassian did because if he doesn't do that, then why is he in the lineup......Earned his money last night

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There were some good things in this game (in terms of the offensive zone play) but still more of the same in our own zone (gift-wrapping high scoring opportunities in the slot and around the net).

This is a woeful Calgary team and a goalie who really didn't show up.

Still lots of work to do, but pleased to see our two top lines contributing at the same time.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
There were some good things in this game (in terms of the offensive zone play) but still more of the same in our own zone (gift-wrapping high scoring opportunities in the slot and around the net).

This is a woeful Calgary team and a goalie who really didn't show up.

Still lots of work to do, but pleased to see our two top lines contributing at the same time.

Not trying to pick on the Spezza line but every time someone is wide open in the slot, it is always this line that is on. They never pick up the late guy coming in and almost always results in a goal against. The coaching staff hasn't been able to get the guys to change their d-zone coverage and they always allow 40+ shots a game. Very frustrating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad