GDT: Flames @ Senators | Mad about Mads Edition | Mon Feb 13th 2023, 7:30PM | SN, RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm trolling??? We just pulled off one of the most impressive comebacks in recent memory, and are 5-1-0 in our last 6. Is it not reasonable to be annoyed with the incessant negativity?

There's a reason this thread is only 12 page. All the trolls chased everyone away.

The only reason some of us are not excited is because we are most likely going to miss the playoffs again… when we could have started to make them in 2020-21, or at least get very close…

But as you know, this team has been mismanaged and miscoached

We are just wasting years of contention away. Sure rebuilds take the time, but the position we were in by the time it started was unheard of

Reactions: Emrasie and ThaShow

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Fo5di72XsAE1Plq.jpg

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That was the sneakiest little move by DBC to momentarily make the Calgary guy bite that he was gonna drop it back before he fed Stu.

I think this game was a good example of 1) how much talent we have and 2) the complete lack of structure we play with

We have great players, we need a new coach
100%. Anyone can see that we need a coach who can teach all 3 zones.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think this game was a good example of 1) how much talent we have and 2) the complete lack of structure we play with

Yeah we should get an x's and o's coach who can install structure, like a Sittler, so we can...*checks notes*...blow a 2 goal lead in the last 2 minutes of the game to a shorthanded team that plays with no structure.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Ottawa is one of the only 5 teams in the league that has 5 players at 40 points or more in the season. But the reason we aren't more competitive according to this coach is because we are missing another top 6 forward.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Glad Sogaard played well (just one game of course). It's one of the question marks that needed to be addressed for next season.

I wonder what the plan is for JBD?

Reactions: hn777

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa is one of the only 5 teams in the league that has 5 players at 40 points or more in the season. But the reason we aren't more competitive according to this coach is because we are missing another top 6 forward.
Ha - so true. Now, having Norris does push better players further down the lineup, but if Norris was here Ridly Greig would still be in Belleville.

To me, our glaring issue is our bottom six and the lack of production we are getting from it. You look at the good teams like Boston and they have guys like Trent Frederic getting 19 points on their fourth line. Our fourth line (and some of the third, TBH) is a complete black hole. Our fourth line can't score, but makes up for it with an inability to check as well. This is where our lousy pro scouting comes back to bite us, as we have a complete inability to identify undervalued players who can effectively fill in the bottom six. Motte was a decent signing, but on a good team he is a fourth liner. Here, he's on the third line.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Great win! This team is absolutely ruthless with the extra man. Nice to see it bear fruit 6 on 5 in spectacular fashion.

Tough one coming up tonight, go Sens!

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Yeah we should get an x's and o's coach who can install structure, like a Sittler, so we can...*checks notes*...blow a 2 goal lead in the last 2 minutes of the game to a shorthanded team that plays with no structure.

Well the x's and o's team is sitting in a playoff spot and we're dead in the water so yeah. Sample size and all.

Awesome win last night. Those types of games are just standalone incredible.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
The only reason some of us are not excited is because we are most likely going to miss the playoffs again… when we could have started to make them in 2020-21, or at least get very close…

But as you know, this team has been mismanaged and miscoached

We are just wasting years of contention away. Sure rebuilds take the time, but the position we were in by the time it started was unheard of
I dunno, this year is a dissapointment but before this year was rebuilding years, if anything we weren't bad enough!

I think we can still make some noice the next couple of years but the rebuild has not been GMd very well, we should not have waisted multiple second rounders on wash ups and so on. This is the first year of contention we wasted but we should have had like half a dozen more promising prospects (maybe traded som of them for young roster players)

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

We are probably the worst team at playing without the puck. The only reason we don't have a trash record is because we have a lot of talent

Stutzle
Tkachuk
Norris
Batherson
DeBrincat
Giroux
Greig
Pinto
Formenton (?)

Yeah let's trade our 10th OA pick for another Top-6 forward that can't play defense in a no system

To me, our glaring issue is our bottom six and the lack of production we are getting from it. You look at the good teams like Boston and they have guys like Trent Frederic getting 19 points on their fourth line. Our fourth line (and some of the third, TBH) is a complete black hole. Our fourth line can't score, but makes up for it with an inability to check as well. This is where our lousy pro scouting comes back to bite us, as we have a complete inability to identify undervalued players who can effectively fill in the bottom six. Motte was a decent signing, but on a good team he is a fourth liner. Here, he's on the third line.

We need guys like Nick Paul and Connor Brown, for example (I know, broken record), guys that can play hard minutes and still provide secondary scoring at ES, even outscoring the other's team top lines. Guys like this are invaluable. Having those 2 guys would push guys like Joseph and Motte on the 4th line and then you have a very strong forward group (when healthy)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stutzle - Giroux
Paul - Pinto - Brown
Motte - Kastelic - Joseph
Kelly

You see that I don't have DeBrincat in there, because we should have Marino instead (or better, with a 7th OA pick?)

Chabot - Marino
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Holden/Zaitsev

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Calgary's coach his Sittlers other brother Darryl. I was wondering about your Sittler reference in another post.

You a big DJ fan?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Calgary's coach his Sittlers other brother Darryl. I was wondering about your Sittler reference in another post.

You a big DJ fan?
Why would I be a big DJ fan? Because I don't spend every waking moment on HF talking about him getting fired, regardless of what thread or conversation I'm partaking in? Some of us don't need to describe everything with extreme partisanship. I don't think he's the worst coach in the league, like some on here do. And I don't think he's a great coach, even if he hasn't really had a chance to play with a full deck of cards yet.

Like everything else that this fanbase hates, he's caricatured to an absurd degree and he's constantly attacked with blindly repeated epithets like "no structure", a concept 90%+ of the chaff on here couldn't even describe with any degree of complexity. I make comments in jest to highlight the absurdities of some of the posts because it's funny to me and it feels like hitting back at a mouthy echo chamber that's driven so many good posters away over the years.

You know what else? When people deal with circumstances that are out of their control, I actually feel for them. I feel for a person who spent his entire post-professional hockey career working towards the ultimate goal in his field and has had to endure rancid rosters of fringe NHLers, outcasts and career minor leaguers while he waits for a team talented enough to knock on the door of postseason contention. I feel for someone who had that roster for all of 5 minutes before a catastrophic injury derailed the season of one of the brightest spots on the roster. I feel for a guy who's constantly dumped on by brainless imbeciles on a hockey forum who call him names and denigrate his worth as a human being to make themselves feel better about a f***ing game. So, I don't have to like him to know how much I dislike them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad