GDT: Flames @ Senators | Mad about Mads Edition | Mon Feb 13th 2023, 7:30PM | SN, RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why would I be a big DJ fan? Because I don't spend every waking moment on HF talking about him getting fired, regardless of what thread or conversation I'm partaking in? Some of us don't need to describe everything with extreme partisanship. I don't think he's the worst coach in the league, like some on here do. And I don't think he's a great coach, even if he hasn't really had a chance to play with a full deck of cards yet.

Like everything else that this fanbase hates, he's caricatured to an absurd degree and he's constantly attacked with blindly repeated epithets like "no structure", a concept 90%+ of the chaff on here couldn't even describe with any degree of complexity. I make comments in jest to highlight the absurdities of some of the posts because it's funny to me and it feels like hitting back at a mouthy echo chamber that's driven so many good posters away over the years.

You know what else? When people deal with circumstances that are out of their control, I actually feel for them. I feel for a person who spent his entire post-professional hockey career working towards the ultimate goal in his field and has had to endure rancid rosters of fringe NHLers, outcasts and career minor leaguers while he waits for a team talented enough to knock on the door of postseason contention. I feel for someone who had that roster for all of 5 minutes before a catastrophic injury derailed the season of one of the brightest spots on the roster. I feel for a guy who's constantly dumped on by brainless imbeciles on a hockey forum who call him names and denigrate his worth as a human being to make themselves feel better about a f***ing game. So, I don't have to like him to know how much I dislike them.
I don't understand why people don't want change at this point. Even if you think DJ has good structure or is a good coach something needs to change here. Try something new.

I never understood why some here are against that with the current situation of the team and what we see on the ice. For whatever reason the team can't get past the hump and have continuously started the season slow

Change is good. Will it make us better? Hopefully...but staying the same does not make sense.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I don't understand why people don't want change at this point. Even if you think DJ has good structure or is a good coach something needs to change here. Try something new.

I never understood why some here are against that with the current situation of the team and what we see on the ice. For whatever reason the team can't get past the hump and have continuously started the season slow

Change is good. Will it make us better? Hopefully...but staying the same does not make sense.
Set aside whether he's a good coach or not. Why is he first on the list of things that needs to be changed? Is your opinion that this roster is good enough, with identical health and player availability, to be a much better team than what they've shown?

I don't buy that for a second. This roster can't be good enough to make the playoffs as-is while also needing desperate improvements to the bottom 3 D, the bottom 6F and in nets.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Set aside whether he's a good coach or not. Why is he first on the list of things that needs to be changed? Is your opinion that this roster is good enough, with identical health and player availability, to be a much better team than what they've shown?

I don't buy that for a second. This roster can't be good enough to make the playoffs as-is while also needing desperate improvements to the bottom 3 D, the bottom 6F and in nets.

I agree that DJ is not the biggest problem right now. It's clearly Pierre Dorion.

At, or near, the top of the list of Dorion's list of shortcomings is his handling of our coaching staff including hiring and retaining DJ Smith for so many years. Get rid of them both but Dorion goes first hopefully. This snake needs to be beheaded.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why would I be a big DJ fan? Because I don't spend every waking moment on HF talking about him getting fired, regardless of what thread or conversation I'm partaking in? Some of us don't need to describe everything with extreme partisanship. I don't think he's the worst coach in the league, like some on here do. And I don't think he's a great coach, even if he hasn't really had a chance to play with a full deck of cards yet.

Like everything else that this fanbase hates, he's caricatured to an absurd degree and he's constantly attacked with blindly repeated epithets like "no structure", a concept 90%+ of the chaff on here couldn't even describe with any degree of complexity. I make comments in jest to highlight the absurdities of some of the posts because it's funny to me and it feels like hitting back at a mouthy echo chamber that's driven so many good posters away over the years.

You know what else? When people deal with circumstances that are out of their control, I actually feel for them. I feel for a person who spent his entire post-professional hockey career working towards the ultimate goal in his field and has had to endure rancid rosters of fringe NHLers, outcasts and career minor leaguers while he waits for a team talented enough to knock on the door of postseason contention. I feel for someone who had that roster for all of 5 minutes before a catastrophic injury derailed the season of one of the brightest spots on the roster. I feel for a guy who's constantly dumped on by brainless imbeciles on a hockey forum who call him names and denigrate his worth as a human being to make themselves feel better about a f***ing game. So, I don't have to like him to know how much I dislike them.
I see

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Lol watching the isles is fun, Barzal needs to be playing better, Horvat isn't enough and they have wayy too much money tied up on depth players that are too old. NYI is screwed

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I dunno, this year is a dissapointment but before this year was rebuilding years, if anything we weren't bad enough!

I think we can still make some noice the next couple of years but the rebuild has not been GMd very well, we should not have waisted multiple second rounders on wash ups and so on. This is the first year of contention we wasted but we should have had like half a dozen more promising prospects (maybe traded som of them for young roster players)

Yeah 2018-19 and 2019-20 were definitely rebuilding years (2017-18 was the first year where the wheels fell off, counts more or less as a rebuilding year (like the Habs last year, they finished last after making the SCF)

But the thing is we could have been better earlier* and get closer to the playoffs, or even make them because you need to learn to lose before winning. We are wasting time

* Note : due to prospect pool in 2018 and the prime assets we had for trade (Karlsson, Stone, Duchene Pageau, etc!), I have never seen a team in a better position for a rebuild, like not close. But the way it has been managed, it almost looked like we were tanking the last 2 years... But tanking to... trade a 7th OA pick and draft Tyler freaking Boucher with the other 10th OA pick? Wouldn't make a lot of sense lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad