HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Flames pick up another point with an OTL in Seattle.

Calgary will finish ahead of the usual dregs of the league SJ/ANA/CHI/CBJ/MTL. Can they finish ahead of 5 more teams? I like the odds more and more every day. They already have a 9 point lead on Nashville. Lol

West is not that strong and the Flames "pride" is going to push them to win more than expected. Still expecting to get the Panthers pick (20+) but if the Flames finish outside of the bottom 10, that's just awesome!

99% Chance that's going to be Florida pick

I would have had it at 99% before the season started. After the Flames start, I'd lower it to 75%

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Flames 1st + for Rasmus Anderson?

I think KH may try to wait to sign him in the summer for free!
That would be a missed opportunity, and I don't think he's going to be GM long enough to afford skipping those too often. Berg only lasted so long and his predecessor, 1 year. Hughes demonstrated he can gamble with Dach, Newhook, Barron & Laine, now it's time to show he can do hockey trades with a strong hand.

I don't think any MTL GM ever had strong cards like he has. Not in the last 2 decades anyhow.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
That would be a missed opportunity, and I don't think he's going to be GM long enough to afford skipping those too often. Berg only lasted so long and his predecessor, 1 year. Hughes demonstrated he can gamble with Dach, Newhook, Barron & Laine, now it's time to show he can do hockey trades with a strong hand.

I don't think any MTL GM ever had strong cards like he has. Not in the last 2 decades anyhow.
Wasn’t Bergevin here for 9,10 years? That’s pretty long. I’d be shocked if Hughes isn’t here that long or longer

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Flames 1st + for Rasmus Anderson?

I think KH may try to wait to sign him in the summer for free!

I doubt we are major players for Anderson... regardless of how we want to improve the RD vet side. Anderson is on a value contract and cup contenders will be all over that. We should not be getting in bidding wars as a playoff pretender.

I rather wait for someone to become UFA (like R Anderson) or trade for someone younger who is under team control. Aside from making an exception for guys like Crosby, I would stay away from trading for a short term gain and using futures to acquire.

No way should we be trading for short term gains when we don't even know how close to the playoffs we are. It's premature. Wait till they become UFA or if it's a circumstantial trade like Laine (cheap). R Anderson won't be cheap... cup contenders will be all over this and very aggressive. Especially for a value contract.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt we are major players for Anderson... regardless of how we want to improve the RD vet side. Anderson is on a value contract and cup contenders will be all over that. We should not be getting in bidding wars as a playoff pretender.

I rather wait for someone to become UFA (like R Anderson) or trade for someone younger who is under team control. Aside from making an exception for guys like Crosby, I would stay away from trading for a short term gain and using futures to acquire.

No way should we be trading for short term gains when we don't even know how close to the playoffs we are. It's premature. Wait till they become UFA or if it's a circumstantial trade like Laine (cheap). R Anderson won't be cheap... cup contenders will be all over this and very aggressive. Especially for a value contract.
Anderson will turn 28 this year. He can be part of the short term and the long term.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
High risks if he chooses UFA and we paid a huge price to acquire. Very risky IMO. Rather wait till he becomes UFA
Yes, I only trade for him if there's a contract in place or a conversation with his agent that he'll sign in Montreal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, I only trade for him if there's a contract in place or a conversation with his agent that he'll sign in Montreal.

Something to watch our for. He has a 5-6 NTC. Surely, we are not on that list right?

I do fear a bidding war to come though. A RD on a value contract? The list of teams in on him will be 10+

Way riskier to wait until he is ufa than to find out if he wants to sign with us now and make a deal to do it before every other team can make room and offer him money

What do you think the price is? I see 10+ teams bidding. This will be a 1st and B+ prospect at worse IMO. The advantage we do have is cap space and assets but I worry about trading our 1st (even with protection). Will be interesting to see how the Panthers/Flames 1st tracks close to the TDL.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Panthers are the only team in the top 16 with a - goal differential. I do believe they lost some depth but they are off to a good record. Not 100% sold that they are a top 5 team and they have played a lot of hockey over the last 2 years.

Not going to hold my breath but there is a chance they slip to top 10-15 range vs top 5.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Something to watch our for. He has a 5-6 NTC. Surely, we are not on that list right?

I do fear a bidding war to come though. A RD on a value contract? The list of teams in on him will be 10+

What do you think the price is? I see 10+ teams bidding. This will be a 1st and B+ prospect at worse IMO. The advantage we do have is cap space and assets but I worry about trading our 1st (even with protection). Will be interesting to see how the Panthers/Flames 1st tracks close to the TDL.
Rasmus is definitely worth a 1st and b prospect, and also a long term contract, in my opinion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rasmus is definitely worth a 1st and b prospect, and also a long term contract, in my opinion

Doubt it gets to 1st and A prospect because that is rare. I guess whoever has the best 1st to offer as well as the B+ prospect (trending well). Or would they flip it and ask for a Grade A prospect and B+ or 2nd rounder instead?

Possible a cup contender offers them the A prospect and they like that better than the 1st.

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
No way should we be trading for short term gains...
No one said trading a lottery pick for short term gains is an idea anywhere on this thread.

Wasn’t Bergevin here for 9,10 years? That’s pretty long. I’d be shocked if Hughes isn’t here that long or longer
It isn't long considering they take at least 3 years up to 5 of patience on each of their draft picks.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
No one said trading a lottery pick for short term gains is an idea anywhere on this thread.

It isn't long considering they take at least 3 years up to 5 of patience on each of their draft picks.
If it’s an overhaul/rebuild, then ya.

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If it’s an overhaul/rebuild, then ya.
It's the same if you have a GM who religulously drafts BPA without any kind of medium/long term view of his project. A decade is a pretty short span of time to find or replace any core player. Right now we are missing several, they can't skip on opportunities to get a top pairing dman or a top line center, or any other piece for the price of middling first.

They got Dach for a middling first no? As an example, it's just not panning out. So if the Flames 1st becomes a middling first, maybe they should trade for another potential core player again. They may not get that opportunity in the remaining years of their tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad