Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Still not sold on Newhook but he sure has tools. Great skater and a good shot but feels like something is missing still. I could see him being the odd man out in a few years when some of the young prospects start making the team. Demidov is a surefire second line winger, and with Laine, he's already primed to be bumped to the third line as of next season and there is a lot of competition for third line rolls - we're already seeing that with Heineman and Kapanen this year.
I think the puckhandling is missing. Offensive flair. He is a good skater. I think he could be the 6th best forward of a contender. Or a really good 3rd line player. He is a player for milieu d’alignement

Reactions: Habs13 and Toene

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still not sold on Newhook but he sure has tools. Great skater and a good shot but feels like something is missing still. I could see him being the odd man out in a few years when some of the young prospects start making the team. Demidov is a surefire second line winger, and with Laine, he's already primed to be bumped to the third line as of next season and there is a lot of competition for third line rolls - we're already seeing that with Heineman and Kapanen this year.
I don’t think he’ll be the odd man out. I can see him on a good scoring third line who can be brought up to the second.

He’s a second line caliber player but we’ve got so much talent coming I think he winds up on the third- and that bodes really, really well for us. If he’s on your third line then you’ve got great scoring depth.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He'll be battling both Kapanen and Beck for 3rd line center. Not sure if there's a spot for him either, but think he's underrated. Had a really good game yesterday.
I think he plays with Beck and maybe Roy on the third down the road. Either Roy or Newhook could be second liners but Laine eats that spot up. A lot will depend on what happens with him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don’t think he’ll be the odd man out. I can see him on a good scoring third line who can be brought up to the second.

He’s a second line caliber player but we’ve got so much talent coming I think he winds up on the third- and that bodes really, really well for us. If he’s on your third line then you’ve got great scoring depth.
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Kapanen
Heineman-Beck-Gallagher/Anderson
Anderson/Gallagher (Tuch)

Trade Armia, Evans, Dvorak and Pezzetta this year for futures

Matheson-Guhle
Reinbacher-Hutson
Struble-Mailloux
Xhekaj (Barron)

Trade Savard this year for futures

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Kapanen
Heineman-Beck-Gallagher/Anderson
Anderson/Gallagher (Tuch)

Trade Armia, Evans, Dvorak and Pezzetta this year for futures

Matheson-Guhle
Reinbacher-Hutson
Struble-Mailloux
Xhekaj (Barron)

Trade Savard this year for futures
Where’s Roy?

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
the pittsburgh loss at the end against columbus and chicago really f***ed our rebuild up. Instread of drafting a high end forward top 16 we ended up trading 2 picks for a f***ing 3rd line player with nothing exceptionnal except speed.
Imagining a world in which we draft both Leonard at #5 and Perreault at #16 hurts quite a lot

Reactions: Trenbohabs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
the pittsburgh loss at the end against columbus and chicago really f***ed our rebuild up. Instread of drafting a high end forward top 16 we ended up trading 2 picks for a f***ing 3rd line player with nothing exceptionnal except speed
Newhook is a very good 2nd line winger. I doubt a to p16 forward would even be that good. He needs Dach to get up to speed and a good 3rd player on that line and he will produce.

Reactions: 26Mats

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Newhook is a 3rd line player at best, No IQ, no shot, no puck handling skills, no size, only speed. He's gone after this contract. He couldnt produce on the top 6 with a stacked colorado lineup and he cant produce anything on the PP, he depends on the line maters he will play with. With Caufield at 5f8 there is no room for a guy like Newhook on the habs roster when it will be time to push for playoffs next year.

Jesus a top 16 forward wouldnt be that good? the previous year we had Nazar or Mcgroarthy but decided to get an injured prone center in Dach, in 2023 if the panthers didnt get all the luck in the world we couldve drafted a good player. You build teams with good draft picks. There's an absolute red flag when an organisation is trading away a 3rd overall 20 years old 6f4 center and a 15th overall Newhook for peanuts

Fact check: this post contains copious misinformation.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
If you start the post saying he doesn't have a shot, you've already established you aren't evaluating him properly.
15 goals scorer, WHAT A SHOT!!!! he scored when Ullmark wasnt even in his net, you really think newhook is a 30+ goals scorer? Youve established you know cant evaluate players. you really gotta understand that every player in the NHL has a shot, some of them have "better" shots like Caufield, some of them have BAD shots like Gallagher. Newhook has a 4/10 shot.

If he had a shot, he wouldve scored 30 goals easy with mackinnon and ranta

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
15 goals scorer, WHAT A SHOT!!!! he scored when Ullmark wasnt even in his net, you really think newhook is a 30+ goals scorer? Youve established you know nothing about evaluating players. you really gotta understand that every player in the NHL has a shot, some of them have "better" shots like Caufield, some of them have BAD shots like Gallagher. Newhook has a 4/10 shot.
I guess you also thought Sam Bennett in 2020 that he was a very bad player and overrated that will never achieve anything because he never scored much.

Newsflash, Newhook might not become a top 6 in the future for us with Hage, Demidov eventually joining in + maybe Laine longterm BUT having a guy like him on our bottom 6 could help us compete for the cup. I am convinced that the best way to get success in the NHL is by having a very strong top 9. If we can get a better player than Newhook 3 or 4 years from now that will be even better but there are no points over reacting now.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
15 goals scorer, WHAT A SHOT!!!! he scored when Ullmark wasnt even in his net, you really think newhook is a 30+ goals scorer? Youve established you know cant evaluate players. you really gotta understand that every player in the NHL has a shot, some of them have "better" shots like Caufield, some of them have BAD shots like Gallagher. Newhook has a 4/10 shot.

Would you like to know what you've already established?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I think he's a 20-25 goal scorer, he might hit 30 on occasion but it's unlikely when he will get pushed out of the top 6 and be on PP2.

He has a good shot, he has a quick release and he can one time the puck especially from the bumper spot.

He adds team speed, and his handles are above average.

He's a valuable player due to his speed and shooting ability. He can play a bit of center. He's a flexible player who can slide from wing to c and play on line 1, 2 or 3.

You'd be lucky to get anything close to what he already is for us with the picks we traded away to get him.

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
I guess you also thought Sam Bennett in 2020 that he was a very bad player and overrated that will never achieve anything because he never scored much.

Newsflash, Newhook might not become a top 6 in the future for us with Hage, Demidov eventually joining in + maybe Laine longterm BUT having a guy like him on our bottom 6 could help us compete for the cup. I am convinced that the best way to get success in the NHL is by having a very strong top 9. If we can get a better player than Newhook 3 or 4 years from now that will be even better but there are no points over reacting now.
I guess you dont know me well. I take 3 Bennett on my 3rd line for playoffs before 3 Newhook anyday. You win with physical intelligent players in playoffs, not players with only speed like Newhook. Goals are scored around the net in playoffs and players like Bennett who go constantly in dirty areas make you win. No place for finesse

I never said he wasnt a good 3rd line player, if I did my mistake. He would end up being on the 3rd line surrounded with big physical speedy guys like Bennett, no problem there!

I think he's a 20-25 goal scorer, he might hit 30 on occasion but it's unlikely when he will get pushed out of the top 6 and be on PP2.

He has a good shot, he has a quick release and he can one time the puck especially from the bumper spot.

He adds team speed, and his handles are above average.

He's a valuable player due to his speed and shooting ability. He can play a bit of center. He's a flexible player who can slide from wing to c and play on line 1, 2 or 3.

You'd be lucky to get anything close to what he already is for us with the picks we traded away to get him.
So 20 goals scorer is considered a good shot now? I'd much rather have physical players like Barbashev with 20 goals around the net than Newhook on the 3rd line. Gallagher scored 30, does he have a good shot? My point with the picks is you can hit homeruns like Dallas did. Low probability but I like gambles. We wouldve added a vet easily with a late 1st when the time will be proper (Gallagher and andersons contracts terminated)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad