Speculation: Fix Canucks Right Side- Extra 3mil Cap Space if Hamonic opts out/retires

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
This is the only logical reason as to why he won't show up at camp on time.

No it isn’t. It MIGHT be true. But, as poster above me noted, he could
be opting out to protect family. Her circumstances may have changed. I have no more patience for the anti-vax set. But this has the possibility of being very different.

Reactions: Snazu

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
“Hamonic will be here,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “We’ll be 100 per cent vaccinated by the first game of the season. We have a strict policy in place, and as an organization we put a lot of importance on making sure.

This is what Benning said a few days ago. Does this context sound like a family related problem?

Reactions: David71 and Snazu

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You're probably not fixing it by taking everyone from the core off the table and protecting your firsts when the fix is a bonafide first pair right defeseman.
They can help fix the defense by acquiring a decent top four guy somewhere down the line this year. Zeroing in on a bonafide top pairing guy is a fools errand right now.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The GM's are dumb and boring AF. Someone offersheet Pettersson already. How often will you get an opportunity like this again.

Offer him $10M AAV with term, Canucks need to re-sign him and Hughes, good luck.

Pettersson is worth the compensation if you're a good/very good team. 4 late 1st for him and you don't have to gut your prospect pool.

Come on Drury, you lil bitch.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
It isn't the only logical reason.

Apparently he has a daughter with serious medical issues. He might not be comfortable with the league's procedures. He's one of the guys who opted out of the league's restart and it wasn't because he was antivax, he thought the league wasn't strict enough to safely restart. Plus, there are some media people who have been emphatic that he ISN'T antivax.

Dhaliwal for one.

“Everything he is doing in this decision… is family related,” Dhaliwal added. “I am not hearing that he’s anti-vaxx. I am not hearing that.”

Contracting the virus, along with pretty much the rest of the team probably didn't sit well with him either.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The GM's are dumb and boring AF. Someone offersheet Pettersson already. How often will you get an opportunity like this again.

Offer him $10M AAV with term, Canucks need to re-sign him and Hughes, good luck.

Pettersson is worth the compensation if you're a good/very good team. 4 late 1st for him and you don't have to gut your prospect pool.

Come on Drury, you lil bitch.
How many teams actually have 10mil in cap space? How many of those teams would Petterson want to lock into term with?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
How many teams actually have 10mil in cap space? How many of those teams would Petterson want to lock into term with?

If Seattle deals one of their lefties, such as Soucy or Dunn, they could offer sheet Pettersson at around 7x$11M AAV. I'm pretty sure that Ronnie Franchise ain't the kind of GM to risk trading 4 first round picks, though.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Can MDumba play the right side?

Losing POD hurts but it could be the basis of a trade?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Is it possible he is waiting for the roster to be greatly reduced to reduce his exposure?

The Canucks have said they will be fully vaccinated but does that mean everyone at camp and all the players who flew in from other countries states and provinces?

Maybe overthinking it here but as a person who has taken such a strong defensive stance on Covid and had management so furious with Gaudette last year as his ignorance brought Covid to him and his family. Maybe he just wants to things to settle down before he joins the actual group he will be living with and can trust.

I guess we'll find out soon enough but Hamonic is a great team/family guy and will be a BIG loss if he decides he's unwilling to live with a certain degree of risk.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
“Hamonic will be here,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “We’ll be 100 per cent vaccinated by the first game of the season. We have a strict policy in place, and as an organization we put a lot of importance on making sure.

This is what Benning said a few days ago. Does this context sound like a family related problem?
perhaps Hamonic was waiting for the unvaccinated player to get vaccinated?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Isn't vaccinated
Spreading rumours doesn't move the discussion in a very good direction, there is zero proof of that.
It's just as likely quite the opposite and is worried about exposing his daughter.
As for his replacement playing one of our LHD on his off side kills two birds since both Joulevi and Hunt require waivers. Woo might play himself into that spot as well.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I think Benning has enough on his hands with trying to get Hughes and Petey signed. For Canucks fans sake, I hope that's completed quickly. They can start the season with what they've got and go from there.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If Seattle deals one of their lefties, such as Soucy or Dunn, they could offer sheet Pettersson at around 7x$11M AAV. I'm pretty sure that Ronnie Franchise ain't the kind of GM to risk trading 4 first round picks, though.
It would be absurd for a new franchise to deal 4 of their first 5 1st round picks before they played a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think it is what it is at this point. Canucks don't have much time and with the season around the corner, i doubt they do more than pick up someone on waivers or make a lateral trade, if even that.

Sometimes things work out even if you don't do anything. Their RHD probably isn't going to determine what the team can do. Scoring and creating more, good goaltending and their best dmen playing up to their potential are bigger factors in my opinion. If those things don't happen, then i doubt one serviceable top 4 defenseman would make enough of a difference either way. If they do, the team will feel confident and the guys playing RHD will likely step up in the process. Poolman went through it in Winnipeg, Schenn is a veteran guy with experience and almost every team ices a dman worse than Myers. If the guys keep it simple, defend and compete with a bit of extra chip on their shoulder, they can manage for however long it takes to make a trade.

There's also a benefit in already knowing what you're targeting at the TDL, so you can carefully go through options and plant the seeds for the deal throughout the year.

I have a good feeling about the Canucks forward group, combined with Demko and Hughes/OEL both looking for better seasons. I don't think the situation is all that grim just because they lose Hamonic. For all i know, it's forgotten by November.

But, that's my feeling looking from the outside. Maybe the situation ends up in a tire fire.

Jul 6, 2016
These unvaccinated (and unwilling to do so) players will cause lots of havoc this season throughout the NHL.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hamonic being labelled an "anti-vaxxer" is probably the most moronic thing ive read in a while.

As a few mentioned, if anything Hamonic doesnt want to play because the league is allowing for unvaxxed players to play.

Hamonic is family first and has an immune compromised kid at home.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad