OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Anybody else getting ready for their own hockey? Been a few weeks now and many of our league players have been skating and scrimmaging and through a rep got a good deal on some CCM composite sticks, still a lot of money for a hockey stick but man does the puck rocket off compared to what I usually use. That's the good the bad is broke one during the first scrimmage and am paranoid now that the others will break so easily.
Not trying to derail, but the newer sticks tend to break if their integrity is damaged. By that I mean a decent slash might cause an impression and if that's in the range for the flex of your shot, your twig will snap easily.

That's the downside of the new sticks.

If you have a VR hockey sense arena is really good. I used it for goalie just as a workout and loved it, but realized it was costing me like 40 bucks a month and canceled it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I got super lucky and found a home gym bowflex in goo's condition for 50 bucks. Buddy even dropped it off at my house.

My question is... I have it and other things set up in my basement. With the colder months coming it's fine, but in the warmer months my basement ends up being really cold, so I'm wondering is that a bad environment to workout in, or should I turn on the baseboards that the previous owners had installed likely because it gets so cold in the basement ?
Cold is good in the summer. And you'll appreciate it during a workout as you work up a sweat.

Make sure you warm up though. 5 mins on a treadmill or something like that before you start lifting.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Not trying to derail, but the newer sticks tend to break if their integrity is damaged. By that I mean a decent slash might cause an impression and if that's in the range for the flex of your shot, your twig will snap easily.

That's the downside of the new sticks.

If you have a VR hockey sense arena is really good. I used it for goalie just as a workout and loved it, but realized it was costing me like 40 bucks a month and canceled it.
Coming to site like this you have to expect derailment.
Sticks breaking easily is not new news, been a while that they have.
This is our old timers league and many, including myself, have played, coached and I officiate games as well, we know what we need to do to get ready for the season and are set in our ways but THX anyways.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Heading to Costco soon and was wondering if there's any things people would recommend.

Like a good snack that's surprising low in calories, high in protein, anything that has a nice benefit.

Anything they sell that's a good pick up for a lazy super, or quick lunch that's similar. Drinks, too.

Hopefully the west end Costco in Ottawa has the suggestions

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Heading to Costco soon and was wondering if there's any things people would recommend.

Like a good snack that's surprising low in calories, high in protein, anything that has a nice benefit.

Anything they sell that's a good pick up for a lazy super, or quick lunch that's similar. Drinks, too.

They have low calorie fudcicles, at like 100 ish calories. Theyre very good.

Natrel protein milk if they have is legit, especially chocolate.
Fairlife Chocolate protein milk is amazing (they sell 24 packs)
LeanFit Whey protein is great and cheap
Try your brand of protein bars, personally I like the RX but the macros arent super and its expensive. The kirkland brand are "good" to me and the macros are nice. I buy the pure protein whenever theyre on sale, very good price.
They have pre-cooked meat if youre really feeling lazy, but its bound to be low quality and much nastier than if you did yourself.
Beef jerky is amazing if you can afford.
Of course the Skyr and Greek yogourt selection is always good. Just grab anything below 2% and youre good to go, if you want the best macros grab the no fat/no flavour. Nasty but you get used to it, its also excellent to make tatziki.
Nuts are underrated, Pumpkin seeds have the highest calorie to protein ratio and the roasted ones are delicious.
Of course the rotisserie chicken.
Smart pop Orville popcorn of course.
Canned tuna and if you can stomach it (I surely can't) canned chicken and salmon.
PB2 if you like PB (And or no jelly) toasts, it's dried PB peanut butter that you rehydrate with water. Add a tiny bit of honey and salt and youre good to go.

Theres a lot of stuff at costco.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Cold is good in the summer. And you'll appreciate it during a workout as you work up a sweat.

Make sure you warm up though. 5 mins on a treadmill or something like that before you start lifting.

I prefer it when my home gym is warm.

Somehow being sweaty in my workouts helps me get in the "zone".

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Cottage cheese is the only food in history i can't eat. I'd rather eat a whole ghostpepper than a tub of cottage cheese.

You gotta make sure you get the 4% fat one. For some reason, most grocery stores here stock the super low fat ones and they taste like complete ass. I used to source all my cottage cheese from Plattsburgh until I found some 4% stuff here recently. Scoop it with pepperoni crisps or quinoa crackers or wtv the f***. Spoon is cool too.

1724460481117.png

it's just so beautiful

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You gotta make sure you get the 4% fat one. For some reason, most grocery stores here stock the super low fat ones and they taste like complete ass. I used to source all my cottage cheese from Plattsburgh until I found some 4% stuff here recently. Scoop it with pepperoni crisps or quinoa crackers or wtv the f***. Spoon is cool too.

View attachment 902867

it's just so beautiful
Its the consistency for me. Feels like I'm eating my GFs discharge.

• Wow
Reactions: overlords

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Cottage cheese is the only food in history i can't eat. I'd rather eat a whole ghostpepper than a tub of cottage cheese.
Low fat ricotta is my alternative. You can eat it in a low of different ways. Cottage cheese sucks.

Anybody else getting ready for their own hockey? Been a few weeks now and many of our league players have been skating and scrimmaging and through a rep got a good deal on some CCM composite sticks, still a lot of money for a hockey stick but man does the puck rocket off compared to what I usually use. That's the good the bad is broke one during the first scrimmage and am paranoid now that the others will break so easily.

I play year round, but how much are you paying and for which sticks ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Plain Greek yogurt 0% is great. You can also add in a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder for a bit of taste.

Egg whites are great for adding into shakes. You don’t even know it’s there and one cup packs 30 something grams of protein.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Plain Greek yogurt 0% is great. You can also add in a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder for a bit of taste.

Egg whites are great for adding into shakes. You don’t even know it’s there and one cup packs 30 something grams of protein.
Egg whites are also fantastic as a base for french toasts. 300g egg whites for 3 slices of regular ass bread with a bit of maple syrup is a godly breakfast and it takes 5 minutes to make.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Egg whites are also fantastic as a base for french toasts. 300g egg whites for 3 slices of regular ass bread with a bit of maple syrup is a godly breakfast and it takes 5 minutes to make.
I found hitting protein levels in a reduced calorie diet to be difficult. Egg whites solve the problem and it keeps you satiated.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I found hitting protein levels in a reduced calorie diet to be difficult. Egg whites solve the problem and it keeps you satiated.
Eggs are fantastic. They add a big load of nutrients, plus, as you said, studies support that eggs really do lower hunger and increase satiation.

I love eggs and would have an omelette every day if it wasn't for the cholesterol. Egg whites don't do it for me... I love the yolk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Eggs are fantastic. They add a big load of nutrients, plus, as you said, studies support that eggs really do lower hunger and increase satiation.

I love eggs and would have an omelette every day if it wasn't for the cholesterol. Egg whites don't do it for me... I love the yolk.
I think it was found that in the average male, consumption of less than 3 eggs a day was not impactful on health.

Egg whites and chicken breast are king.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Cholesterol is a myth

Just drink milk. If you can find it, they make fortified milks with even more protein and they taste the same. I often get Natrel Plus.

1724513918475.png

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Cholesterol is a myth

Just drink milk. If you can find it, they make fortified milks with even more protein and they taste the same. I often get Natrel Plus.

View attachment 902932
Natrel plus chocolate is like my all-time favorite treat. I could drinka straight two liters any day any time. 18 grams of protein on 170 calories and a bunch of that is casein, so it works before sleep, in the morning, as a snack. It's the perfect blend.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A few research's on dietary cholesterol and it's impact on health:

The current literature does not support the notion that dietary cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease in a healthy individuals. However, there is an ample evidence that saturated fatty acids and trans-fats increase cardiovascular disease risk. The fact that dietary cholesterol is common in foods that are high in saturated fatty acids might have contributed to the hypothesis that dietary cholesterol is atherogenic. In contrast, eggs are affordable, rich in protein and micronutrients, nutrient-dense and low in saturated fatty acids. The healthy eating pattern can incorporate nutrient-dense, calorie controlled meals with balanced nutrients and a variety of colorful vegetables and fruits. The body of literature regarding dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular disease in patients diagnosed with diabetes is still inconclusive and warrants further research.
Soliman, G. A. (2018). Dietary Cholesterol and the Lack of Evidence in Cardiovascular Disease. Nutrients, 10(6), 780. Dietary Cholesterol and the Lack of Evidence in Cardiovascular Disease

We confirm from the review of the literature on epidemiological data, meta-analysis, and clinical interventions where dietary cholesterol challenges were utilized that there is not a direct correlation between cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol. This lack of correlation is mainly due to the compensatory mechanisms exerted by the organism to manage excess dietary cholesterol, including decreases in cholesterol absorption and down-regulation of cholesterol synthesis. A great number of epidemiological studies and meta-analysis indicate that dietary cholesterol is not associated with CVD risk nor with elevated plasma cholesterol concentrations. Clinical interventions in the last 20 years demonstrate that challenges with dietary cholesterol do not increase the biomarkers associated with heart disease risk. Further, in the specific circumstances where eggs are the source of dietary cholesterol, an improvement in dyslipidemias is observed due to the formation of less atherogenic lipoproteins and changes in HDL associated with a more efficient reverse cholesterol transport.
Fernandez, M. L. et Murillo, A. G. (2022). Is There a Correlation between Dietary and Blood Cholesterol? Evidence from Epidemiological Data and Clinical Interventions. Nutrients, 14(10), 2168. Is There a Correlation between Dietary and Blood Cholesterol? Evidence from Epidemiological Data and Clinical Interventions

One systematic review on cholesterol conducted in 2015 and two on eggs conducted in 2017–2018 were included. As discussed in the most recent systematic review, there may be large individual differences in response to dietary cholesterol, which may partly explain the inconsistency of the results. However, with regard to the overall claim that dietary cholesterol and eggs can increase LDL cholesterol, the evidence was considered low for a small effect.
Schoeneck, M. et Iggman, D. (2021). The effects of foods on LDL cholesterol levels: A systematic review of the accumulated evidence from systematic reviews and meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, 31(5), 1325‑1338. Redirecting

Reactions: Lshap and overlords

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think it was found that in the average male, consumption of less than 3 eggs a day was not impactful on health.
You've mentioned that before. Believe me, I want you to be right, but plenty of prestigious journals still maintain a safety limit of one-egg-a-day.

I'm in very good shape, but I'm also in my 60s, so even though I eat everything I'm cautious of portions and frequency.

Cholesterol is a myth
Most theories on cholesterol floating around the internet combine selective facts with an agenda. Happy to consider all opinions, but I'll give more weight to medical centres like the Mayo Clinic, who see cholesterol as one of many markers for heart disease.

EDIT: Just now saw the post above mine. Good info... will read up on it...

Reactions: Mrb1p

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Cholesterol is a myth

View attachment 902932
Literally true, take a look at the conflict of interest section of papers declaring it to be bad for you and you’ll find that every company that funded the study makes an LDL lowering drug

Really makes you think

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You've mentioned that before. Believe me, I want you to be right, but plenty of prestigious journals still maintain a safety limit of one-egg-a-day.

I'm in very good shape, but I'm also in my 60s, so even though I eat everything I'm cautious of portions and frequency.

Most theories on cholesterol floating around the internet combine selective facts with an agenda. Happy to consider all opinions, but I'll give more weight to medical centres like the Mayo Clinic, who see cholesterol as one of many markers for heart disease.

EDIT: Just now saw the post above mine. Good info... will read up on it...
Youre in your 60s, either you go with the better be safe than sorry mantra or the YOLO one, not sure these studies are designed with you in mind.
Literally true, take a look at the conflict of interest section of papers declaring it to be bad for you and you’ll find that every company that funded the study makes an LDL lowering drug

Really makes you think
A lot of studies are founded by someone that "tries" to be right.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Really makes you think

Are you talking strictly dietary cholesterol, LDL cholesterol or the statin studies ? And if so, which specific studies are you referring to ?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Are you talking strictly dietary cholesterol, LDL cholesterol or the statin studies ? And if so, which specific studies are you referring to ?
LDL cholesterol as raises by higher sat fat intake

This is a good starting point
The specific LDL related study I can’t remember the name of but it’s always cited.. I’ll update when I can remember it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad