OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Youre in your 60s, either you go with the better be safe than sorry mantra or the YOLO one, not sure these studies are designed with you in mind.
Thanks a lot... I'll just shuffle to the grocery store, buy my oatmeal, and take a nap. :laugh:

Seriously, I'm not giving up bacon & eggs anytime soon, I just limit the bad stuff and try to add more good stuff to my meals. So far, so good.

(I had to Google "YOLO" – sounds like it applies more to my dating life than my diet.)

Reactions: Mrb1p

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
1000008958.jpg

The max pro is currently on clearance at wal mart for 20 bucks instead of 40.

The other one is 7 bucks down from 8, but they have another that's down to 5 from 10 I believe.

Likely the stores aren't going to carry them anymore, so possibility they're on sale at every wal mart.

Figured I'd pass it along

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Training has been going very well since I got back on skis this winter. It really kickstarted me and while I've lost fat and gained muscle, the summer has been a bit brutal on the diet, but I'm going back on track. The two things I've enjoyed most about being very active again are my sleep and my recovery. I've always been a good sleeper, but I need 6-7 hours now rather than 8. This gives me a full hour or two more for productivity and play, which was very needed with two young kids and a career. I've been surprised at my recovery too. While I can't do hard physical activities 6-7 days a week anymore, the more I've trained, the better I've recovered to the point I'm seeing there might be more potential there than I thought.

LDL cholesterol as raises by higher sat fat intake

This is a good starting point
The specific LDL related study I can’t remember the name of but it’s always cited.. I’ll update when I can remember it
Yeah, I'd be interested in it. If you have any other systematic reviews that were done more in a concerted effort rather than a single journalist as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the more the better.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Heading to Costco soon and was wondering if there's any things people would recommend.

Like a good snack that's surprising low in calories, high in protein, anything that has a nice benefit.

Anything they sell that's a good pick up for a lazy super, or quick lunch that's similar. Drinks, too.

Hopefully the west end Costco in Ottawa has the suggestions
Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and pecans are must for me from Costco. Much more affordable there than anywhere else.

I really like the Balderson old cheese as well, it is so good.

The chicken pot pies are good, rotisserie price can’t be beat, although I’m not crazy on the salty taste.

They also have these chicken strips that are amazing. Their canned chicken is quite good and it is exactly what they use to make their packaged chicken salad with. Cheaper to buy the chicken and make yourself. Sardines and kippers are good too , but not for everyone. I’ve always got them in stock home as I love them.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Got an appointment because I have debilitating sciatica that prevents me from physical activity and sleeping. When things go too well...
I hope you are able to get some relief. I have been recovering nicely. Last week I was able to log 58km jogging with no pain. Aiming for 63 this week. I did long run 17km on Sunday. 5.km recovery run Monday. 11km easy run Tuesday, 11km Wednesday. Will take a rest day today I think. Then 11km tomorrow, 8km with strides Saturday.

I have really put an emphasis on improving hip mobility and warmup, cooldown which I sometimes half assed in the past. Getting too old to wing it. The kettlebell goblet squats and side lunges are really helping.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hope you are able to get some relief. I have been recovering nicely. Last week I was able to log 58km jogging with no pain. Aiming for 63 this week. I did long run 17km on Sunday. 5.km recovery run Monday. 11km easy run Tuesday, 11km Wednesday. Will take a rest day today I think. Then 11km tomorrow, 8km with strides Saturday.

I have really put an emphasis on improving hip mobility and warmup, cooldown which I sometimes half assed in the past. Getting too old to wing it. The kettlebell goblet squats and side lunges are really helping.
I hope so too. Very tough mentally to go from so much physical activity to basically nothing. I am leaving for Thailand to train Muay thai in 7 days and I have a lot of trouble negotiating the fact I will not be training unless there is a miracle.

I know there's worse places to be injured than an island in Thailand but still...

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Heading to Costco soon and was wondering if there's any things people would recommend.

Like a good snack that's surprising low in calories, high in protein, anything that has a nice benefit.

Anything they sell that's a good pick up for a lazy super, or quick lunch that's similar. Drinks, too.

See if they have smoke free Yerba Mate(a tea).

Thank me later.

If they do, ONLY drink it cold, don't heat it up because that's when it becomes carcinogenic.

Talk to your doctor about it as well if you're not sure, but it does TONS of good stuff for your body.

Everyone I've recommended it to has lost weight(if that's your goal) it is one of the best hunger suppression drinks around.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Thank me later.

If they do, ONLY drink it cold, don't heat it up because that's when it becomes carcinogenic.

Talk to your doctor about it as well if you're not sure, but it does TONS of good stuff for your body.

Everyone I've recommended it to has lost weight(if that's your goal) it is one of the best hunger suppression drinks around.
A tea that becomes carcinogenic when heated? I wouldn’t want to make that mistake.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Thank me later.

Usually stuff that's healthy for you tastes like shit, so what's the taste like ?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Zevia

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

They have really good beef jerkey.

I also like their protein bars, the Robert Irvine ones. They're the only ones I can eat.

Nuts in bulk are pretty much the cheapest there.

The beef pot roast is really good:

1724976608425.png

Their "cheap" shrimps are the most affordable I find.

I think they have other high protein snacks, but you'll have to look around as every costco has some of its own products.

If you can find them, they used to have cooked sealed pork chops that were amazing, but haven't seen them in a year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I haven't really tried anything but rest and walking so far. Walking makes it feel much better.

I don't want to make it worse than it is, if that even can happen. I passed a radiography today well see what the doctor says.
Good luck man. You have my sympathies. I was stuck with a bum shoulder for a year and a half. Hopefully your recovery is much quicker.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I trained Muay thai this morning without much pain. A welcome development.

My back only hurt when I blocked Teeps, I imagine because it puts stress on the hips. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Hey, so due to some hormonal stuff my general appetite has plummeted recently. It's not all bad since I did want to lose some weight rofl but what worries me a bit is that I can easily skip meals or not eat for upwards of eight hours. So, just wanted some more ideas of healthy snacks? Or things that can help me maintain what I generally need in a day. Proteins and stuff like this are probably fine, hate most sweets. Thanks!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hey, so due to some hormonal stuff my general appetite has plummeted recently. It's not all bad since I did want to lose some weight rofl but what worries me a bit is that I can easily skip meals or not eat for upwards of eight hours. So, just wanted some more ideas of healthy snacks? Or things that can help me maintain what I generally need in a day. Proteins and stuff like this are probably fine, hate most sweets. Thanks!
Shakes are good. You can put egg whites and protein powder in there as well as berries, spinach, chia and almond milk. Cocoa and cinnamon are tasty and healthy to add as well.

Reactions: Garo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Shakes are good. You can put egg whites and protein powder in there as well as berries, spinach, chia and almond milk. Cocoa and cinnamon are tasty and healthy to add as well.
Probably best to just drink whey and use your egg whites to eat as it's pretty expensive and not as nutrients dense as whey. If you like the taste of whey, that is.

Nuts are good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Probably best to just drink whey and use your egg whites to eat as it's pretty expensive and not as nutrients dense as whey. If you like the taste of whey, that is.

Nuts are good.
If your appetite is gone though, its a good way to turbocharge getting your protein.

I wouldn't do this unless you're strength training though.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
3 months progress
Only 8 pounds weight loss (No pounds lost since end of June)
2.5 inches off waist consistently lowered over time
0 to 4 consecutive chin ups

A little more than half a pound a week on average but most in the first month. The last few weeks haven’t really been in a deficit. But the strength gains are there and the pants are falling off in some cases. So I’d call it a success. I continue to progress on lifts so that’s awesome too.

I’m going to be a little better on the diet in September because October is always tough. Here’s to more progress going forward.

Reactions: Paddyjack and Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad