OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Guys, I have a very specific objective in mind.

I want to be faster. More specifically, I want to be more explosive at hockey. My skating technique is fine as I'm what some would call a perfectionist regarding my hobbies. However, I can see I need to change the way I train.

One thing I'll do is lose weight. I've always been sub 10%, except when I was powerlifting around 190lbs, but even then I had visible abs. Fatherhood and work has done its wonders though, so I have a few pounds to shed.

Secondly, I'll try to regain my strength, though I can't train like I used to when I was powerlifting due to time restraints and my body simply can't handle it anymore.

I need some good exercises though. Powerful exercises that will make me powerful and fast and really fast. Also, maybe some pointers to improve my sprint technique as I'm like a mule and a really dumb and awkward one at that (I run at the heel, causing all kinds of medical issues).
One thing I've found to make me faster, beyond of course weighing less, is to move faster in training. I've incorporated things such as bag drills where I'll just try to do the most hops I could (I call them hops but there's more technical terms for BJJ that I will spare you) over a boxing bag and my speed has been noticeably faster, especially since I can count each reps. Is that because I've become more proficient at it? Perhaps. But then that will count as explosiveness anyway, as I am still faster over the body.

A chronometer and repetitions will get you far. Weighing yourself while you move horizontally also, sled drags, pulls, pushes, band drags, etc. Sprints. Also, the basics.
The answer is probably what you dread, lol, more days being active towards your goal.

I've researched this subject a bit before:

Acute Effects of a Speed Training Program on Sprinting Step Kinematics and Performance
4 weeks but in-line with what I'm saying. (Basics).

I have the full PDFs if you require.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Down two inches off my waist since June 1. Only lost two pounds in that time. I started taking creatine this week so that may have something to do with the lack of weight loss.

Still, it’s a reminder to me that taking measurements is essential. If I was only looking at the scale I’d be wondering what the hell went wrong.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
One thing I've found to make me faster, beyond of course weighing less, is to move faster in training. I've incorporated things such as bag drills where I'll just try to do the most hops I could (I call them hops but there's more technical terms for BJJ that I will spare you) over a boxing bag and my speed has been noticeably faster, especially since I can count each reps. Is that because I've become more proficient at it? Perhaps. But then that will count as explosiveness anyway, as I am still faster over the body.

A chronometer and repetitions will get you far. Weighing yourself while you move horizontally also, sled drags, pulls, pushes, band drags, etc. Sprints. Also, the basics.
The answer is probably what you dread, lol, more days being active towards your goal.

I've researched this subject a bit before:

Acute Effects of a Speed Training Program on Sprinting Step Kinematics and Performance
4 weeks but in-line with what I'm saying. (Basics).

I have the full PDFs if you require.

This is smart. I like this.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In another news I've booked my flight to Thailand. My Kru recommended a few gyms there. Exciting chapter, I will try to fight in one of the contender series there. I'll let you guys know if there's ever a livestream.
Pananeng Khai

Make sure you go to a restaurant and order this. It’s absolute heaven. Best curry in the world.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My back has been having issues off and on still. I’ve been having prolonged active rest days. I want to keep moving and not seize up.

Issue is believed to be sacroiliac joint paint, I had muscle relaxers, naproxen and this didn’t provide much relief. I have switched to alternating hot and cold, stretching and only running every other day. I did 10km Friday and it was longest run I did in a couple weeks. It felt good, at no point did I feel like stopping because of back pain. Saturday I did a kettlebell workout that consisted of swings, goblet squats, deadlifts, suitcase carries, around the world, side lunges. Afterwards, a nice cooldown with some stretches and hip mobility work. Glute bridges, dead bugs, planks etc. Feel it today, supposed to run, might have to miss it as much as I don’t want to.

I’m not sure that I can sit around and do so little to recover. I read that staying active is important, my physiotherapist agrees, but how active is enough. Should stop running altogether until I sort this out? What a shitty feeling to not be able to perform your everyday activities that you take for granted.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My back has been having issues off and on still. I’ve been having prolonged active rest days. I want to keep moving and not seize up.

Issue is believed to be sacroiliac joint paint, I had muscle relaxers, naproxen and this didn’t provide much relief. I have switched to alternating hot and cold, stretching and only running every other day. I did 10km Friday and it was longest run I did in a couple weeks. It felt good, at no point did I feel like stopping because of back pain. Saturday I did a kettlebell workout that consisted of swings, goblet squats, deadlifts, suitcase carries, around the world, side lunges. Afterwards, a nice cooldown with some stretches and hip mobility work. Glute bridges, dead bugs, planks etc. Feel it today, supposed to run, might have to miss it as much as I don’t want to.

I’m not sure that I can sit around and do so little to recover. I read that staying active is important, my physiotherapist agrees, but how active is enough. Should stop running altogether until I sort this out? What a shitty feeling to not be able to perform your everyday activities that you take for granted.
Don't stop your light jogs. Don't think there's any impact on back pain. Even if it's hurting, it's probably going to feel much better after the run. Blood flow is a very good thing.

I'm also struggling with back pain, BJJ and Muay thai are two things that make it go away. Lifting and stretching is terrible though.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don't stop your light jogs. Don't think there's any impact on back pain. Even if it's hurting, it's probably going to feel much better after the run. Blood flow is a very good thing.

I'm also struggling with back pain, BJJ and Muay thai are two things that make it go away. Lifting and stretching is terrible though.
Physio therapist has given me specific stretches to do based on my issues. She said that all the other stretching I was doing was probably making it worse.

I stick to her recommendations, it was helping. I went for a light jog already, I feel a bit of relief from it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Physio therapist has given me specific stretches to do based on my issues. She said that all the other stretching I was doing was probably making it worse.

I stick to her recommendations, it was helping. I went for a light jog already, I feel a bit of relief from it.
Did she say anything about light jogs? I'm pretty sure it's a good thing but then again I'm not PT.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Did she say anything about light jogs? I'm pretty sure it's a good thing but then again I'm not PT.
At first she said that it was likely the source of my pain. So we agreed to take 3 weeks off and then to gradually build back after that. I probably went a little quicker than she would’ve liked. This has been several months now, feels good for a couple weeks, start my routine and then end up close to square 1.

I will see what she says Wednesday when I see her again. It is low impact, but it’s repetitive, I just can’t sit out for too long. It drives me nuts. I think I am my own worst enemy when it comes to recovery.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At first she said that it was likely the source of my pain. So we agreed to take 3 weeks off and then to gradually build back after that. I probably went a little quicker than she would’ve liked. This has been several months now, feels good for a couple weeks, start my routine and then end up close to square 1.

I will see what she says Wednesday when I see her again. It is low impact, but it’s repetitive, I just can’t sit out for too long. It drives me nuts. I think I am my own worst enemy when it comes to recovery.
I am the same as you. Its very hard to take a step back. What if you tried cycling/rowing/etc instead?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I am the same as you. Its very hard to take a step back. What if you tried cycling/rowing/etc instead?
I’ve thought about this. I could get behind one of those for the short term maybe. I have a mountain bike that hasn’t been used in ages. Might be time to dust it off.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If anyone has nothing to do it's the Craig Jones invitational right now and it's all streamed for free on YouTube. Very good broadcast team. A little exposure to a different sport for anyone interested.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I got super lucky and found a home gym bowflex in goo's condition for 50 bucks. Buddy even dropped it off at my house.

My question is... I have it and other things set up in my basement. With the colder months coming it's fine, but in the warmer months my basement ends up being really cold, so I'm wondering is that a bad environment to workout in, or should I turn on the baseboards that the previous owners had installed likely because it gets so cold in the basement ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I got super lucky and found a home gym bowflex in goo's condition for 50 bucks. Buddy even dropped it off at my house.

My question is... I have it and other things set up in my basement. With the colder months coming it's fine, but in the warmer months my basement ends up being really cold, so I'm wondering is that a bad environment to workout in, or should I turn on the baseboards that the previous owners had installed likely because it gets so cold in the basement ?
Wtv makes you comfortable

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Anybody else getting ready for their own hockey? Been a few weeks now and many of our league players have been skating and scrimmaging and through a rep got a good deal on some CCM composite sticks, still a lot of money for a hockey stick but man does the puck rocket off compared to what I usually use. That's the good the bad is broke one during the first scrimmage and am paranoid now that the others will break so easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad