OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sunday Morning very light morning run (30 minutes) and a leg day later in the day
Monday Chest+Tri's+Delts + Shadow Box
Tuesday Back day
Wednesday OFF (Might run in morning/Shadow box) At least do Yoga in the morning
Thursday Leg day 2
Fridays BJJ drills
Saturday BJJ open mat into Muay thai drills

My routine is amazing right now. Top it all off, I had actual fun this weekend, I went to a pottery class, ate at a dumpling restaurant, ate at my parents, chilled in my parents pool, shopped with my GF, worked in the garden with the GF.

Man, it's crazy how much life changes when you're done with the complete madness that university + full time work is.

Same here. I've been on a roll for a few months, which I didn't expect with the two kids.

Been weightlifting 2-3x/week in my home gym, I have a high end carbon bike which I'll do a few rides and I play a lot of hockey. Training consistently and eating well has made me around 20-30% more efficient at work, which helps a lot. Got rid of most of my little addictions (diet soda and scrolling cooking videos). Sleeping a bit less, but better sleep, which helps have more time. Reading consistently, keeping up with business/stock market news and putting extra time to read more for work. Before the last two years, which I was a bit burned out from, I used to read quite a bit.

I'd like to have a bit more time for video games, but I can't find any lately. I play on Fridays and a bit on weekends, but sometimes I like to have days just for gaming once in a while, which hasn't been the case in weeks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Same here. I've been on a roll for a few months, which I didn't expect with the two kids.

Been weightlifting 2-3x/week in my home gym, I have a high end carbon bike which I'll do a few rides and I play a lot of hockey. Training consistently and eating well has made me around 20-30% more efficient at work, which helps a lot. Got rid of most of my little addictions (diet soda and scrolling cooking videos). Sleeping a bit less, but better sleep, which helps have more time. Reading consistently, keeping up with business/stock market news and putting extra time to read more for work. Before the last two years, which I was a bit burned out from, I used to read quite a bit.

I'd like to have a bit more time for video games, but I can't find any lately. I play on Fridays and a bit on weekends, but sometimes I like to have days just for gaming once in a while, which hasn't been the case in weeks.
I don't game much at all either. I do miss playing with my boys but I'm short on time now. I'd rather do other things anyway, for the summer.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
For the first time since the age of 16, I’m forced away from the gym for the duration of 2 months. Really sucks.
Diet and walking is what is keeping me in shape and sane for now.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

What'd you replace the diet sodas with? That's a big one for me.

I don't game much at all either. I do miss playing with my boys but I'm short on time now. I'd rather do other things anyway, for the summer.

It's not the worst time in history to step away. The industry is in a tailspin.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Lol I'm also addicted to diet sodas. I don't actually think it's a problem though, one a day? Brush your teeth right after. Chill. I've heard some conflicting information about depression being linked to high consumption and of course the age old cancer.

I did enjoy Helldivers with the boys but aside from that meh.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I didn't replace them with anything really. Well did, I changed how I reacted to the triggers that made me drink them in the first place. I'm mostly drinking water now and if I'm feeling the craving, I do something else (train, play with my kids, read, etc).

As for gaming, the AAA is shit, but I still have a library of games I like. I'm living what would be considered a "healthy" lifestyle, but I like to game, I like to have some play time in my schedule.

Lol I'm also addicted to diet sodas. I don't actually think it's a problem though, one a day? Brush your teeth right after. Chill. I've heard some conflicting information about depression being linked to high consumption and of course the age old cancer.

I did enjoy Helldivers with the boys but aside from that meh.

Diet sodas are gods nectar. My problem was with coke zero more specifically. But even if you brush your teeth after, it's still problematic for dental health. At least that's what my dentist friends tell me. Or, as I call them, the guys who failed where I succeeded. I'm lying, I don't really say that. I just think it every time I see them.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrb1p

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I had my first run today that didn’t involve 50% or more running. Wow, I took it slow and felt ok. It was difficult to run this slow, but it didn’t hurt my back which was the most important thing.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I had my first run today that didn’t involve 50% or more running. Wow, I took it slow and felt ok. It was difficult to run this slow, but it didn’t hurt my back which was the most important thing.

i also just started running again, doing 1 k run, 2 min walks, for 4k till I get this fat burned off. Damn this extra weight is making it hard to get fit again...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think I’m finally - after two years - able to start working out again. Been strengthening that bum shoulder and it seems good to go.

I see the doc next week and I expect he’ll say it’s good to go. Fingers crossed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
@Mrb1p

Thanks for the squat bar idea. Used it, it was awesome. My shoulder could probably do the straight bar but this is great regardless. I’m looking forward to adding weight to it as I go.

My only problem - it’s bfutal to swap out bars. I’ve got a small space and that kinda sucks. But honestly- no big deal.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
@Mrb1p

Thanks for the squat bar idea. Used it, it was awesome. My shoulder could probably do the straight bar but this is great regardless. I’m looking forward to adding weight to it as I go.

My only problem - it’s bfutal to swap out bars. I’ve got a small space and that kinda sucks. But honestly- no big deal.
Try good mornings with the SSBs too. It's life changing. Probably my favorite ham exercise. Doing walking lunges if you have the space is pretty nice too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've been going on 2-3.km runs and supplementing that with 100 toes to bars mid run. It's so fun, I actually despise long distance running but having a goal and then a little break and going back home running is a fantastic way I've found to actually want to run.

Also helps that my coach says running conditions the shins for muay thai because something needs to give.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Yeah, my old 35 years old ass has pretty much embraced the "always at least 8 reps per set" lifestyle. My puny joints are just not willing to cooperate anymore... in fact, more like my puny rotator cuffs are too fragile to cooperate. They're doing great now though, thanks to an extended warmup routine done religiously before every training and a competent physiotherapist who dry-needled the shit out of them.

Right now I'm pretty much doing;

Saturday - Push
Sunday - Legs
Monday - Pull
Tuesday - 30 minutes cardio on the elliptical
Wednesday - Push
Thursday - Pull
Friday - Between 4 and 5km of jogging

Pretty much aiming around 16-20 sets a week for back, chest and legs, 6 sets for rear delts, 6 sets for side delts, maximum 3 sets for front delts, 10-12 sets for biceps, 10-12 sets for triceps, and 3 sets for calves.

Yeah, I know. I should probably divide my 16-20 sets of legs between two days. I'd just rather burn them to death once a week and have a one week break before the next torture though lol.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So I caved in and finally agreed after being asked, pleaded, begged, threatened and bribed from a small group of friends to organize and plan a cycling itinerary that will cover most of the country. Something I said I'd never do again but I guess never say never. Was asked to not exceed more than 4 hours of straight cycling so that makes things a little easier for some. There will be some multi night stays at the same location and trying to accommodate all the requested highlights, a bit challenging but it will work out. Kind of looking forward to it now, should be fun.:thumbu::thumbu:

I drank two beers yesterday and I feel like I drank two bottles of vodka.
Sounds like ALF (acute liver failure) I recommend obtaining a pickax a spade and find a nice piece of land and start digging.:nod:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, my old 35 years old ass has pretty much embraced the "always at least 8 reps per set" lifestyle. My puny joints are just not willing to cooperate anymore... in fact, more like my puny rotator cuffs are too fragile to cooperate. They're doing great now though, thanks to an extended warmup routine done religiously before every training and a competent physiotherapist who dry-needled the shit out of them.

Right now I'm pretty much doing;

Saturday - Push
Sunday - Legs
Monday - Pull
Tuesday - 30 minutes cardio on the elliptical
Wednesday - Push
Thursday - Pull
Friday - Between 4 and 5km of jogging

Pretty much aiming around 16-20 sets a week for back, chest and legs, 6 sets for rear delts, 6 sets for side delts, maximum 3 sets for front delts, 10-12 sets for biceps, 10-12 sets for triceps, and 3 sets for calves.

Yeah, I know. I should probably divide my 16-20 sets of legs between two days. I'd just rather burn them to death once a week and have a one week break before the next torture though lol.
Side and rear delt need more sets, pump those numbers up. I know it sucks but theyre soem of the smallest muscles in the body, doesn't make sense to be the least worked.

Reactions: Kents polished head

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Side and rear delt need more sets, pump those numbers up. I know it sucks but theyre soem of the smallest muscles in the body, doesn't make sense to be the least worked.

Yeah. I can definitely see some argument why I should do more work. Especially on the rear delts. Both for injury prevention and overall muscle mass.

They indeed suck to do but I absolutely should incorporate more work on them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah. I can definitely see some argument why I should do more work. Especially on the rear delts. Both for injury prevention and overall muscle mass.

They indeed suck to do but I absolutely should incorporate more work on them.
Then you could ask me if I do them and I'd tell you no lmao. I try to do 2 sets at the end of my bench and back workout so that gives me 12-16 sets per week.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Sunday Morning very light morning run (30 minutes) and a leg day later in the day
Monday Chest+Tri's+Delts + Shadow Box
Tuesday Back day
Wednesday OFF (Might run in morning/Shadow box) At least do Yoga in the morning
Thursday Leg day 2
Fridays BJJ drills
Saturday BJJ open mat into Muay thai drills
damn that is one insane routine :amazed: your "very light run" is my usual :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
damn that is one insane routine :amazed: your "very light run" is my usual :laugh:
I enjoy it. Keeps me happy. Once you get going it's hard to stop, really. I mostly do it to keep in shape for muay thai and bjj though, it's freaking unpleasant to have sub-par conditioning levels in these sports. Also my GF enjoys the runs so I'm glad I can do it with her.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
39 y.o., 5'11, 175
  • 30 min run (1-2x week)
  • 15 min VR boxing (1-2x week, don't laugh, it looks dorky but it's a good workout)
    • throw in sets of pushups and dead bugs between rounds
  • 15 min abs routine, McGill Big 3 to heal my busted lower back :confused: (1-2x week)
  • 1 hr kettlebell routine centered on kettlebell swings and Turkish get up (1x week if i'm lucky)
  • 15 min hanging + pull up routine (1-2x week)
  • have a nice rowing machine in the basement but had to put that on pause due to lower back :confused:
all of the above is done at home, i haven't seen a gym since the pandemic and i'm no longer interested in heavy weights anyways.

my routine isn't too intense like many of you guys, but I have found that variety is the way to go. on a given week if i do something every day, even a short workout, that's a good week :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad