First Round Grades

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Oilers: B

Future protected 1st that is likely 25 or later for this years 32nd is good when we need quality prospects in our pool as soon as possible. Oilers scouting team was high on O'Reilly, and had him much higher than 32.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow and Fraser28

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
San Jose crushed it just because Dickinson fell.

I mean, they'd get a high grade just because of Celebrini, but getting what's possibly the best dman in the draft currently is a win.

I wonder what fallout, if any will happen with Connelly, but that's a very good pick on the ice for Vegas talent wise at this point.

Didn't like his answers and the kid just random starred off when answering questions. Nerves? Maybe, but even if he wasn't a pos I could see hos interviews dropping him, or making him a ND

This draft I swear has more first round kids you really want to succeed than I think I've ever seen.

Devils getting Silayev when they did is good value imo. He's got a high ceiling.

Toronto drafted another player projected to go later. I'd like to make fun of them, but I'm eating crow from the Cowen selection so far, as I assume a lot of you are.

Anaheim fans might not like him, but Sennecke is a nice selection. His reaction to get selected that high was priceless and what a moment.

Islanders got a player who fell and will likely increase their value a lot and could help the Islanders land a solid NHLer in a deal next offseason to keep the window open.

Maybe it's that I didn't follow enough, but I can't see a team being really mad except for honeslty Philly. Trading back to pass on Buium who fell to them as a gift seems odd, but there's a lot to like about Luchenko. More than Buium, maybe not, but we'll see.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
yay, the “I’m smarter than a fleet of professional scouts” knee-jerk thread
This.

So dumb to criticize. Have an opinion so you can look back and say I told ya so but don't think for one second that you know more than what the scouts on the floor are doing.

Draft day is probably lowest form HF. The people that incessantly harp on specific players like they need to shout it from a rooftop are particularly embarrassing.

Reactions: Devonator

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
All those guys were 2020 & prior(and Stutzle was a no-brainer). Their picks have sucked ever since.
2020 is recent enough that you can actually evaluate them. It was a killer draft, by the way. Stu may have been a no-brainer in some ways, but Sanderson was controversial and Greig was a big hit considering most guys in the late 1st never make it.

It's difficult to be harsh on the scouts when they barely had any picks lol. Boucher was a huge miss but other than that, no first rounders to speak of.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
San Jose crushed it just because Dickinson fell.

I mean, they'd get a high grade just because of Celebrini, but getting what's possibly the best dman in the draft currently is a win.

I wonder what fallout, if any will happen with Connelly, but that's a very good pick on the ice for Vegas talent wise at this point.

Didn't like his answers and the kid just random starred off when answering questions. Nerves? Maybe, but even if he wasn't a pos I could see hos interviews dropping him, or making him a ND

This draft I swear has more first round kids you really want to succeed than I think I've ever seen.

Devils getting Silayev when they did is good value imo. He's got a high ceiling.

Toronto drafted another player projected to go later. I'd like to make fun of them, but I'm eating crow from the Cowen selection so far, as I assume a lot of you are.

Anaheim fans might not like him, but Sennecke is a nice selection. His reaction to get selected that high was priceless and what a moment.

Islanders got a player who fell and will likely increase their value a lot and could help the Islanders land a solid NHLer in a deal next offseason to keep the window open.

Maybe it's that I didn't follow enough, but I can't see a team being really mad except for honeslty Philly. Trading back to pass on Buium who fell to them as a gift seems odd, but there's a lot to like about Luchenko. More than Buium, maybe not, but we'll see.
With Philly I wonder if it has to do with Buium being in the NCAA. After the Cutter Gauthier situation, and McGroarty in the rumor section recently, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are gun shy and wary.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton at the bottom. Who the f*** trades a unknown first for the last pick in a previous draft?

Have they rehired Chiarelli back?
GMs almost always value this year's picks over next years. They're betting on themselves being very good again next year. If they end up with a 28 - 32 overall pick next year, this trade is a win for Edmonton. If they don't, it's probably a win for Philly.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously this is silly stuff making grades this early. But I have my draft list I can compare teams choices to, so I'll do that.

D -- Blackhawks. They spent a fortune in draft capital and in my opinion did not get one high end player. I actually had Vanacker around 17th, a bit ahead of where I ranked Levshunov and Boisvert.

C -- Flyers. I actually have Jett Luchanko 11th on my list, I think he's going to be a really good player. Good value at 13th. But you can't pass on Zeev Buium for that. Buium would have changed my outlook for the whole Flyers backend.

C+ -- Sharks. I had Celebrini and Dickinson about where they took them, so they did well. Passing on Buium though is again regrettable. Dickinson will be good, Buium will be better than good.

B+ -- Predators. Some folks are surprised Surin went 23rd, but I would have taken him even higher, closer to 15th for me.

B+ -- Ducks. A lot of draft capital and a lot of results. I had Sennecke 5th and Solberg 13th, they added so much talent to a team that is already loaded. Solberg adds a huge missing element for them with his scary physical play.

A+ -- Habs. Demidov 5th is incredible value and I like Hage anywhere in the 20s as well.

A+ -- Wild. Landing Buium at 12th when I had him at 3rd is incredible value, and he'll be amazing with Faber.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils get a player that should have been an option from 4th onward and got him at 10th.

Habs weren't stupid like the teams before them and drafted the obvious choice.

Do I give them high grades for simply being less stupid? The picks weren't hard.

Flyers and every team from 16th and after gets a D- for not drafting Chernyshov. I honestly don't get it. Chernyshov is basically a better version of Sennecke. Is the Russian factor really that big?

Reactions: NiWa and My3Sons

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Edmonton at the bottom. Who the f*** trades a unknown first for the last pick in a previous draft?

Doesn't it make sense to trade the UNKNOWN first for a KNOWN first. This year, the Oilers know exactly who was available at 32 and it's a kid they like. In 25 or 26 who knows what they will be looking at.

And also a first this year is more valuable than future firsts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

A team that's confident in the prospect that they picked who would fit their timeline better than a prospect a year or two from now and a team that is confident in their ability to compete for a Cup the next two years so that the 2025 pick (which is the one Philly is probably getting) likely falls in the late 20s to early 30s. Maybe McDavid or Draisaitl gets a season ending injury and derails the whole thing so it's a risk but there's legit reasons why the trade was made. Makes sense for Philly too since the pick will likely be higher than 32 which a rebuilding team can have the patience to wait out.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Only gonna grade them if they had a 1st round pick. Not grading if they traded out of the 1st.

SJ - A+ I would've taken Buium over Dickinson, but small gap. Celebrini best player obviously, but easy to hit on that too.

Chicago - C+ They had so much potential. Demidov>Levshunov. Boisvert and Vanacker are fine, but weren't BPA at all. After last years A+ draft, quite disappointed this time. And not just the obvious Bedard pick last year. Moore was a huge steal.

Ducks - C+ There was late buzz they'd take Sennecke, so it wasn't shocking. But yeah, that's quite too high for me. If they took Buium or Lindstrom, who they were also linked too, fine, but if you're gonna take a winger, why would it not be Demidov? Sennecke is a solid prospect, but not 3rd overall worthy. Solberg was good value. So it's a mix.

CBJ - A I mean I'd have taken Demidov, but it's an understandable pick. Lindstrom would be the next guy after Demidov for me.

Habs - A+ Going back to last, while I didn't hate them drafting Reinbacher in general, that just wasn't a high value pick at #5. This time, they absolutely got the best player. And then Hage was good value too. Essentially Habs and Chicago flip flopped this year.

Utah - C+ Iginla is good, but they really needed a top d-man. And then they added a second 1st and still didn't take a d-man. Not big on Beaudoin. Little upside.

Sens - B- They needed a RHD, but you had Parekh there. I'm not a big fan of Yakemchuk in general. Very flawed d-man. You had Buium, Dickinson, Catton.

Seattle - A+ Surprisingly didn't go for a d-man, which is their biggest need,, but pleasantly surprised they took Catton higher than I was expected. He's a top 5 player for me. So while they didn't address their big need, they got the BPA.

Calgary - C Parekh has huge upside, so can't really hate on this pick, even though I would've went Buium here. Their second 1st however was a huge reach to me.

NJ - B- I was pleasantly surprised that Silayev didn't end up being an extremely high pick. I'm not a fan of the offensive upside. He's a solid, safe player, but lacks upside. I'd still have taken him lower, but I'm glad he didn't go top 4. I will say though, he does fit well with NJ, who are full of offensive d-men and most RHD. Nemec, Hamilton, Casey, then Hughes on the left. Their defense is scarily solidified. Not the BPA or even best d-man, but is a good fit for NJ. But not the player of my liking and lacking in upside and value.

Minnesota - A+ When they traded up just 1 spot, I thought it had to be Buium finally. It wouldn't have made sense otherwise. 1 of the steals of the draft. He legit might be the best d-man in the class.

Philly - B- Luchanko was a little high for me, but I can see it. I could see his potential grow. They didn't really need a d-man and their biggest need was a Center. I would've went Helenius for a Center and I'd have taken Eiserman over Luchanko too, but it addressed their biggest need and a decent pick that could age better.

Buffalo - B+ I do like Helenius quite a bit. Buffalo's biggest need was a RHD. I would've went Jiricek here, who I like more than most and would've fit their need. Eiserman, I also valued a little more than Helenius. So while it was pretty good value, it didn't address a need at all and feels like they got more of what they already have.

Detroit - B Similar to Buffalo, this feels very, this type of pick, again? Pretty good value. I don't think Detroit's roster/pipeline is as stocked as Buffalo, so this isnt as unnecessary. I just think Detroit should swing on higher upside. I would've taken Eiserman for sure here.

Blues - A - As noted earlier, I rank Jiricek higher than others, so this was a good value pick, that aso addressed a need. I would consider Eiserman the BPA and has higher upside, but this was pretty much a perfect pick for them at this spot.

Caps - B it's a bit high for me. Again, how do you not just go Eiserman here? Both scoring wingers. This is a very boom or bust pick overall. I think many years from now, we either see Parascak much higher in a hypothetical re-draft or he doesn't have a NHL career and his stock plummets. It's a pick I can see going either way, easily.

VGK - A- Again, I go Eiserman, but Connelly is a big swing. Certainly risk, but you get amongst the highest of upsides here if he hits.

NYI - A+ they were 1 of the least likely teams that I would've thought would swing on Eiserman. So pleasantly surprised by them. Sure, there's a chance he busts, but the value at this pick is great.

Preds - B He wasn't my BPA or even the best Russian, so it's a bit surprising. But I think it's a solid pick.

Boston - C Letourneau isn't someone I'd take in the 1st round and so there were many players I'd take instead. I could see this pick aging better, but I could also just see him not panning out at all. I can see it, but not at this spot. Not the value I want.

LA - A+ Greentree was my BPA. Even though it doesn't address a need, it's the best value. I figured Greentree would fall some cause of his skating, but a lot of upside to him and I don't think he's too likely to bust either.

Dallas - B Hemming is solid, but liked a few players more. Can't hate on it.

NYR - A- Not quite my BPA, but a very solid pick.

Leafs - D Either the 1st or 2nd most puzzling pick in the whole draft. A player I ranked a lot lower than this. I thought Cowan was the worst pick last year and he had a good season, though I still don't see a star player there. Maybe Danford has the same kind of development, but as of now, I gotta say this was a strange pick. If you wanted a RHD, you go Elick or Badinka here.

Oilers - B Wasn't my BPA, but a fine pick.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Sharks: S+ -> Celebrini is the obvious one, but being able to get a player of Dickinson's calibre that late in the 1st round as well is unbelievable. This team is maybe one more bad year away from being very scary - especially if they can convince Macklin to do another lap at BU

Montreal: S- -> Demidov at 5 with their u24 pool basically locks up their core. Hage is a great pick with a ton of upside potential. Would have been S+ if Hughes traded a 3rd to move up a spot or two for Eiserman, but Hage may end up with more upside as a super skilled center. Most improved team after SJS by a mile.

Minnesota: A+ -> Buium at 12 is the steal of the draft

Kings: B+ -> Greentree slipped pretty far and that's good value - he could be a great linemate with Byfield.

Chicago: B -> I really like Levshunov, but think they could have gone Stolberg + Emery and locked down their defensive corps for the future

Rangers: B -> Emery and Miller will be a good pair in the future. Great pick.

Buffalo: B -> I think this is a team that really should have explored trading their pick but Helenius could end up being a phenomenal middle 6 guy for deep playoff runs

Utah: B -> I am really high on Tij, I just don't know if he's the right fit here ... with Cooley/Geekie | Guenther/But/Keller, I feel like they are going to end up moving Keller when they could have had a Buium or Silayev.

Kraken: B -> I love Catton, I love the pick and think they are making one hell of an offensive group - but it has to be a B because they could have gotten the same quality of offensive contribution from a Parekh or Buium but have an RD for the future - big whiff there.

Devils: B -> Silayev is a boom or bust prospect and I like the swing on him because in a few years he could be the final piece behind Jiricek/Hughes. I don't think they needed a Buium or Dickinson as much with how good their group already is, so the high upside risky pick is a W

Anaheim -> C+ - I can't believe Grant was right again, and I don't think I like the Sennecke pick, but I respect the Ducks for swinging. Stolberg is going to end up being a great pick, and I think will be a better defensive version of Arber Xhekaj for them. This draft will be looked at as a missed opportunity to lock in one of the best young groups in the NHL, or it will be another example of them swinging at a ball but hitting it out the park anyways.

Senators -> C - I like Yakemchuk a lot and I see the vision if you think he's the next Weber - but at the same time, Buium would literally revolutionize that team offensively. Parekh could have been the second coming of EK. I think the idea is to build that tough Panthers style team around Brady, but a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Flyers -> D - I just don't get why you don't take Buium and revolutionize your offensive future with him and Michkov ... really silly choice.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015

You usually have to add other futures to move up years so I have no complaints, I think Sam Orielly will have a big year in a bigger role on London next season keep that stock rising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad