Speculation: Firesale?

Do you want us to sell bigtime and what return do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
If we are out of the playoffs in January and they have not signed, why would we not move them?

Obviously if they don’t want to come back then you move them, but that’s different than moving them to blow up the team.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we are out of the playoffs in January and they have not signed, why would we not move them?

If they're game to re-sign in the off season then you might as well. And if they're not, then you might as well move them in that case too.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Meh. The organization is already in the midst of "keeping the streak alive", see: Detroit. They should clearly start over, but they're not going to.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
But what’s nostalgic about keeping them in a losing season?

it makes no sense. If they sign that’s fine, but why keep a UFA who potentially won’t sign who can return assets?

Hey, preaching to the choir. I'm not advocating for it at all.

If we're out of it in January, I'm all in favor of maximizing all our assets. All.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I think if we’re still sucking by January and we can get 2nds or 1sts for guys that aren’t likely to re-sign anyway we should do it. A few 2nds can be flipped for a 1st and a couple 1sts can be flipped for an early 1st and that early 1st could help you right away.

Everyone over 25 needs to go, but I don't have faith that this org knows who to draft once we get picks. This sale is going to have some turnover in staff, both forced/unforced, and usually the smart people leave on their own.

We will still suck in Dec, Jan, Feb, March, and April because our highest paid player is currently the worst player in the NHL, but he's really helping to fast track the rebuild decision.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Yea exactly. I’m fine with dealing Rust, Guentzel, Dumo, Zucker, Jarry or Kapanen or whoever for the right deal. I’m even fine with getting a new coach even though I’m not sold that it’s going to help this team. Just don’t understand the desire to close the book on the golden age of Penguins hockey without trying like, anything else.
Look at the Ducks ; the last time they were good (2017) , they didn’t sell everyone. No barn burner fire sale, they just collect a couple good young players in Drysdale and Zegras while holding onto Silfverberg, Rakell , Fowler , Getz , Gibson etc. Now they have young talent and people to actually play with them, unlike the sens or yotes. Fire sales in the NHL are a sure fired way to remain terrible for a very very long time.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Look at the Ducks ; the last time they were good (2017) , they didn’t sell everyone. No barn burner fire sale, they just collect a couple good young players in Drysdale and Zegras while holding onto Silfverberg, Rakell , Fowler , Getz , Gibson etc. Now they have young talent and people to actually play with them, unlike the sens or yotes. Fire sales in the NHL are a sure fired way to remain terrible for a very very long time.

Exactly, what’s the last fire sale that worked? Rangers? Sorry guys there’s no Panarin or Fox desperate to play in Pittsburgh.

GlennTheFrog

Dec 5, 2005
South Hills
Or how the Bruins are competitive every goddamn year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

They did trade Vatanen, Kase, Montour, etc.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Assuming Letang's camp is pressing for a big contract and we're still muddling around in abject mediocrity around mid-January;

Trade Letang at 50% retained for the best return possible at the deadline. Trade Rust at the deadline. Let the season play out however it does. Bring Sid/Geno into the office and tell them things are shifting and the era's done. If they want to stick around, so be it, but the team's gonna be selling everything not nailed down--which means Jake, Kap, Dumo, Zucker, etc. If they want to walk (Geno) or be dealt (Sid), accommodate their wishes.

Stockpile picks and prospects. Invest heavily in scouting/drafting/development and coaching at all levels. Gear up to build the team from the ground up through the draft and smart trades/signings.

Rebuild is coming whether any of us want it or not. We're short several difference makers, the coach is an egomaniac, the roster's flawed as hell, and there ain't shit worth a damn in the prospect cupboard. Accept it and get to work. It's gonna suck to watch a buncha nobodies lose a ton as we tank our way to high picks, but it's not gonna suck any more than watching recognizable names lose.

Reactions: Pens1566

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
To me this team is reminisce of the 2015 squad that had some pieces but couldn't put things together. So while some could argue coaching - I'd chalk it up to a 1-3 move scenario.

When we added Hagelin / Daley - then brought in Sully who decided to use some of the younger guys the team totally flipped and the rest was history. The Horny Matheson deal is arguably JR's worst trade in history and it's shown night in and night out....worst of all when we're playing a stingy team where we could use Horny AND have Matheson/Letang fighting for who can make the worst spin move/stretch pass.

I think you move whatever you have to to get a roster shakeup. I've felt like Guentzel was the piece for a while but to be honest I don't know. Zucker seems like a do-nothing...but so do a lot of guys. If I had to choose - I'd go back to trimming some of the cost of the D (Pettersson or Matheson), and swapping a forward or two. Blowing up the squad seems ridiculous to me and completely out of frustration. We JUST finished first in the division last year and it was goaltending and our offensive failure that costed us a run. I've beaten my own dead horse for too long but we really should target another power forward for our lineup. Carter finally happened but we need more (would have been great to add Brown at the same time) and we're not outskating many teams going forward (dead horse).

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Everyone over 25 needs to go, but I don't have faith that this org knows who to draft once we get picks. This sale is going to have some turnover in staff, both forced/unforced, and usually the smart people leave on their own.

We will still suck in Dec, Jan, Feb, March, and April because our highest paid player is currently the worst player in the NHL, but he's really helping to fast track the rebuild decision.

I'm guessing you are talking about Crosby, and you are just wrong.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Really though we could easily get a bunch of 1sts or prospects recently drafted in the 1st for Sid. There’s a few ways to blow it up and I think there’s a happy medium but kinda interesting to think about.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You're not gonna have a chance to garner as much in the way of assets as you can if you move some big pieces now. Letang should be traded with retention, that would guarantee a HUGE return! Geno also IF he's amenable to A move, not as much as Letang but pretty good nonetheless. . You can get a 1st for Jake plus a good prospect. Dumo and Rust would also command a nice return. You absolutely sell. Also, if you sell these guys off you sink in the standings thus guaranteeing a higher draft pick. Win-win-win (for the future).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
some of you don't remember the X-Generation Penguins and it shows.
Not in a hurry to get back to those days
I am, because of what the potential is to come after. IN 83-84 We were actively rooting for the team to lose and we got Mario. It's a bit different now, but you can still get cornerstone players if you're bad for a couple two three years. Might as well start that process now, instead of delaying the inevitable. Particularly when we have assets that would garner big return. That won't be the case next season.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
some of you don't remember the X-Generation Penguins and it shows.
Not in a hurry to get back to those days
We've won five of 15 games, like it or not we're at the beginning of such an era. Might as well embrace it.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
We've won five of 15 games, like it or not we're at the beginning of such an era. Might as well embrace it.
We’ve lost three in a row with a full roster just coming off covid and major injuries throughout the lineup. Pump the breaks.
If we kept this EXACT same line up healthy next year I’d still be optimistic of the playoffs. We aren’t that bad. Sometimes shit just doesn’t go our way. Why blow it up early because we’re frustrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad