Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
…why is Brandt Clarke playing in the rookie tourney?

Clearly the Kings are indicating they want him to show he deserves a spot and giving him an opportunity to tune up against lesser talent is giving him every opportunity.

He played in Ontario last year mostly, remember?

He could end up with the Reign again even right out of camp, depending on his form, defense and roster management.

The most important part of the season is after the deadline right into the playoffs.

Whatever is best for his development before that and giving the coaches and Blake time to try out guys and make moves before the deadline.
Our new core is cock blocked for multiple years moving forward.

Byfield behind Kopitar and Danault till 2028.
Clarke behind Doughty till 2027.
Portillo behind Kuemper till 2027.

I’ll be surprised if Clarke beats out Burroughs for a spot out of camp. All it takes is one case of mono for Brandt and one forgettable fight for Burroughs to win the preseason competition running away.

We’re suffering through the purple balls era and still have years to go.

The West is tough and the best chance they would have is if Fiala and Byfield pair well with a TBD player and become the number one offensive l.ine.

Probably a tough ask.

Above is my Clarke sentiments.

It's post deadline , that we most need individuals fulfilling roles on a cohesive team.
There is WAY too much tire pumping on Portillo going on here over the last week. Dude is at least two years away from contributing, if at all. Lots to work with, but his game just started moving away from "raw" being the most apt description. He has some really rough edges to refine before being considered as a viable option. The good news is that you could see the progress by years end, but this has kind of gotten out of hand here. Let him keep progressing before putting any expectations on him.

Sounds completely in line with the Kings plan.

His first challenge would be to try to supercede the other goalie on the Reign to cause serious consideration for a call up if a Kings goalie misses any games.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
There is WAY too much tire pumping on Portillo going on here over the last week. Dude is at least two years away from contributing, if at all. Lots to work with, but his game just started moving away from "raw" being the most apt description. He has some really rough edges to refine before being considered as a viable option. The good news is that you could see the progress by years end, but this has kind of gotten out of hand here. Let him keep progressing before putting any expectations on him.
It might be fans recognizing how weak the goalies ahead of Portillo are more than pumping Portillo's tires. Kuemper and Copley stunk last year. Rittich has only posted two seasons in his career with .910 sv%.

Management can't be too patient with struggling goalies if they hope to make the playoffs. The Kings starting goalie has lost the starting job 4 seasons in a row. Will it be 5?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
It might be fans recognizing how weak the goalies ahead of Portillo are more than pumping Portillo's tires. Kuemper and Copley stunk last year. Rittich has only posted two seasons in his career with .910 sv%.

Management can't be too patient with struggling goalies if they hope to make the playoffs. The Kings starting goalie has lost the starting job 4 seasons in a row. Will it be 5?
But the absolute worst thing would be to destroy the kids confidence by throwing him to the wolves while he still has big time issues controlling rebounds and reading angles.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
But the absolute worst thing would be to destroy the kids confidence by throwing him to the wolves while he still has big time issues controlling rebounds and reading angles.
1725645244173.png

Reactions: tigermask48

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

What's the difference between throwing him out there vs throwing Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke out there, which is what everyone is/was clamoring for? Different positiosn sure, but each of those had big holes in their game they had to work through....

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Am I understanding you correctly? If Kuemper, Rittich, and Copley struggle, you think it is better for Portillo to stay in Ontario all season and have the Kings get another goalie or two instead of giving Portillo a chance. I disagree. I think the organization not showing any confidence in him would be worse than playing him and learning he has stuff to work on to stay in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Am I understanding you correctly? If Kuemper, Rittich, and Copley struggle, you think it is better for Portillo to stay in Ontario all season and have the Kings get another goalie or two instead of giving Portillo a chance. I disagree. I think the organization not showing any confidence in him would be worse than playing him and learning he has stuff to work on to stay in the NHL.

I think those circumstances would be the worst for him

"Okay Erik our three NHL goalies failed, save us"

Sends like the worst possible message

I think that's all Bland is saying, not dont give him a cup of coffee.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Not sure how to even begin to explain the difference between Byfield or Laf being thrown into the NHL versus a goalie. Especially when you can look at the very recent example of Cal Peterson to see why it might be something to be careful about doing.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure how to even begin to explain the difference between Byfield or Laf being thrown into the NHL versus a goalie. Especially when you can look at the very recent example of Cal Peterson to see why it might be something to be careful about doing.
Shocker that at least one person who defended the handling of players (who would have veterans on the ice to insulate and guide them) doesn't understand how it's different from a goalie who is sort of on his own island.

Though I do think Portillo should get some backup opportunities. There should be reasonable challenges.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Shocker that at least one person who defended the handling of players (who would have veterans on the ice to insulate and guide them) doesn't understand how it's different from a goalie who is sort of on his own island.

Though I do think Portillo should get some backup opportunities. There should be reasonable challenges.

More shocking, that you can't tell the difference.......it's clear you've never been a goaltender, but they aren't on their own island, in their head maybe, on the ice, no.

No, you shouldn't throw Portillo out there and say save us, you shouldn't do that to any kid, that was the f***ing point,

• Haha

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Look in his rear view mirror Sluky, Carter St. H also in pursuit.

If he's out playing Copley in the AHL and the Kings need him, he comes up.

If he stumbles you quickly send him back down and hope for ascending Pheonix, volume 2.

Reactions: lumbergh

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
No thread or chat about the rookie camp less than one week away?

Kings brought some interesting players in as invitees.

Oliver Tulk scored 40 goals last year in the WHL.

Cole Davis and Luke Woodworth are some other junior players.

Expect some fireworks also - Kings invited Corbin Vaughan - one of the tougher players in the WHL.

Also, they signed John-Parker Jones likely for the ECHL but he’s coming to rookie camp. Dude is 6’-7” and 230 and one of the toughest players in the Coast.

We all know Ziemmer and Lawrence like to stir it up also.

Clarke, Portillo, Pinelli, and Greentree will also be there.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

If Cal Petersen failed because of mental weakness, shouldn't he have failed under those exact circumstances when he was called up in 2018-2019 at the age of 24? He put up .924sv%.

Portillo is 24 and had better stats than Cal in the AHL.

I don't think there is pressure when the player failing = status quo for the team.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Cal Petersen failed because of mental weakness, shouldn't he have failed under those exact circumstances when he was called up in 2018-2019 at the age of 24? He put up .924sv%.

Portillo is 24 and had better stats than Cal in the AHL.

I don't think there is pressure when the player failing = status quo for the team.

This is actually a great example of what I mean. He did that in 11 games backing up a franchise legend veteran goaltender AND Jack Campbell. He was effectively a #3. That would be a great scenario for Portillo this year. He was similarly great in 8 games the following year.

When he was asked to be 'the guy' in a 1B workload--not even a FT starter load--he faltered and never recovered. That's what I DONT want for Portillo, throw him into 30+ games AFTER 3 other options shit the bed.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I am saying that there are three experienced options in front of him, potentially one lost to waivers. It is HIGHLY unlikely that they would all falter so much that you give the kid a premature looksee when he is still an unpolished commodity.

Goaltending won't be the reason the Kings don't reach their likely projected level of 7th-10th in the conference. Let the kid grow at his own pace.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This is actually a great example of what I mean. He did that in 11 games backing up a franchise legend veteran goaltender AND Jack Campbell. He was effectively a #3. That would be a great scenario for Portillo this year. He was similarly great in 8 games the following year.

When he was asked to be 'the guy' in a 1B workload--not even a FT starter load--he faltered and never recovered. That's what I DONT want for Portillo, throw him into 30+ games AFTER 3 other options shit the bed.
My theory on Petersen is that he impressed enough to be given the future keys when the incumbent - who was most definitely struggling - had the backing of the elder statesmen in the room. They wanted the guy that they had won with in the net regardless of the declining play and the obvious need to look forward and not backwards. Petersen would play well, then sit. He would play poorly then get yanked and sit longer. He didn't have the backing of his teammates and lost his confidence which picked up steam with every turn. Can't doubt yourself in that position, you start thinking and you are done.

Impure speculation, of course.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
No thread or chat about the rookie camp less than one week away?

Kings brought some interesting players in as invitees.

Oliver Tulk scored 40 goals last year in the WHL.

Cole Davis and Luke Woodworth are some other junior players.

Expect some fireworks also - Kings invited Corbin Vaughan - one of the tougher players in the WHL.

Also, they signed John-Parker Jones likely for the ECHL but he’s coming to rookie camp. Dude is 6’-7” and 230 and one of the toughest players in the Coast.

We all know Ziemmer and Lawrence like to stir it up also.

Clarke, Portillo, Pinelli, and Greentree will also be there.
Kings themselves have ruined it before it started. No live feed, no way for a normal person to afford to go. Hard to get excited about it.

When the kings were hot and winning cups, I loved it. Even when they weren’t, I used to love following the rookie pipeline. The Kings have to learn that if they cant give people something to cheer about at the NHL level, they should still try and give us something in the pipeline to cheer about.

This organization really does a shitty job of selling the brand

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
6 days away from Rookie Tourney. Kind of surprised Clarke is playing. One of the first things I think of....oh great, he'll be run by goons that may never get a pro contract. Saw that Beckett Sennecke broke his ankle and out 6-8 weeks. Tough break for him and Ducks. I saw Pronman made a list of top NHL prospects under 23 and he had Byfield at #27 OA. He had Senneke, Nikishin, Catton, Silayev, Yakemchuk, Levshunov, Luke Hughes and Leo Carlsson ahead of him. That's lunacy, for most all of those, ranked ahead of QB.

This is about the least pumped I am, going into camp in all my decades of being a King fan.
There are several reasons...one being that the chances of making the playoffs is less than any recent year and much of that hinges on goaltending. I guess Talbot / Rittich / Copley VS Kuemper / Rittich / Copley is not much different, though. I actually felt better with Talbot 23-24, than I do Kuemper 24-25.

I was hoping for better upgrades than Foegele, Jeannot, Edmundson...and Jones, Burroughs, Studnika, are nothing to get excited about. I will say that jettisoning PLD was a minor miracle and just NEVER seeing him on the ice for the Kings ever again, is a win....but a loss in what could have been, if that deal never happened.

I'll miss Arvy and Roy. Lizotte and Grundstrom, not so much. Letting go of Roy, is understandable and to me, he played his most lackluster hockey a good portion of last year. Despite that, he's a good player. I just now wish the Kings were a few points out of the playoffs at the deadline and they dealt him for a #1 pick. The depleted pipeline needs more standouts than Greentree, Ziemmer, Dvorak, Slukynsky, George. Another 20-32 OA pick could have really been huge.

Things to be (somewhat) excited about:
1. QB taking 2C or 3C and building on last yr
2. Clarke taking a fulltime slot. Hope he never sits a shift for an error and gets AMPLE pp time.
3. Turcotte, Thomas (Lee, Fagemo?) getting a fulltime slot. I hope both Turcotte and Thomas surprise to the upside, in actually contributing in all areas. I will even add Laferriere here and hope his experience helps in that his overall play and production takes a step.
4. New players: Foegele, Jeannot, Edmundson. I think Foegele is a bit underrated and his 5 on 5 numbers are pretty good. Hard worker, decent skill, can finish. At 27, may yet have some more upside. Jeannot? A wildcard, but it's a contract yr for him and I have moderate high hopes that a 15 g 15 a year is a good bet. Some talk about the enforcer part and the Kings needed a legit enforcer that can skate a shift and put more fear into opponents than Englund. Few have mentioned that his 211 (on memory) hits in 57 games, is massively higher than any Kings player last year. Some games, the Kings as a team were not physical and Jeannot and Edmundson will change that. Not an Edmundson fan and was not happy with the signing - especially the number and term...but if he can be an ok 3rd pair (help PK) and help Clarke break in and protect him...? I will live with that.
I cannot imagine him playing out 4 yrs and 70+ games in any season.
5. Keeping tabs on prospects Greentree, Ziemmer, Dvorak, Conmy, Slukynsky, George...hoping Pinelli, Lee, Helenius, Portillo, take big steps in the AHL. Hope to see Lee up.
Will be interesting to see how Lawrence and Booth do, as pros...and where Dvorak and Ziemmer end up playing, If they will not get decent icetime in the AHL, send them back to WHL.
6. Kirill Kirsanov. I hope he has a big season and signs (with the KINGS!) in Spring and comes over. Other Spring signings? Conmy, Wright, Connors.

And....I suppose we'll know Arty's fate soon. I am so terribly saddened and sickened by the Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau tragedy. After a week, I was wondering if Waddell will be looking to add and made me think Arty could be a target, albeit not any kind of replacement for Gaudreau or Laine. They didn't get a forward back for Laine...so 2 holes. I think Arty for a #3 2025 would be good. CBJ #3 will be in the top 5....so #65-70 range. I don't think they'd deal a second rd. I'd prefer to see Arty sign here and get a chance.

Potential upsides unforeseen: 1. Kevin Fiala FINALLY staying on 1 line all year. I hope it is with QB and he and QB form a duo that is lethal. Add Foegele, I think would be good for him as well and a 25 goal yr is not out of the realm, with the space he would get.
2. Alex Turcotte. I'd love nothing more than to see Alex be a minor force all year and put up 15 g and 15 assists. Just be a huge asset and surprise.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
More shocking, that you can't tell the difference.......it's clear you've never been a goaltender, but they aren't on their own island, in their head maybe, on the ice, no.
Yes, they are in their own island in their own head. And a lot of goaltending is their focus, processing, and, wait for it, in their own head.

I actually started playing hockey as a goalie. So what even if I never did? You're pretending to be a coach AND goalie savant now?

No, you shouldn't throw Portillo out there and say save us, you shouldn't do that to any kid, that was the f***ing point,
And once more you're putting words in my mouth. I never said put a goalie out there to save us. I never said to that to any player. Not even Byfield. Frankly, nobody has. The closest is Kudelski suggesting that throwing Portillo out there for some games may be the only option if we see collapses of multiple vets in front of him.

Even those who advocated trading Kopitar and Doughty have suggested signing vets to a bridge contract. And I apparently have to specify this because you either struggle to understand differing talking points or you like to make up arguments, but I'm not one of those people advocating trading Kopitar and Doughty.

I HAVE said, time and time again, that prospects should get appropriate challenges and opportunity, which is what I said for Portillo here. I (and others) HAVE argued handling all skater prospects with a similar attitude is rigid and thus will lower the chance of developing star players if their treated like grinders. I HAVE argued that it's a disservice to the prospects to put countless resources and efforts into trying to let PLD find his game, but the moment a prospect has a bad shift or game, it's time to consider where to move him. Because then you have rookies playing scared to make a mistake.

You had months off from needing to spend time apologizing for Blake, and apparently none of it was spent digesting previous discussions. You're still under some assumption that people are advocating throwing prospects in without purpose. You're the equivalent of someone yelling at their partner after dreaming that their partner cheated.

I don't know how to help you with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad