Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
A few Ranger fans/friends seemed all too thrilled at that idea.

Probably another case of fans knowing better than a front office what would jolt their team. I'm glad Jake didn't end up in NY tbh lol - BUTTT that package would have been a great get. Bunting was a nice second option I just wasn't sure about the prospects over picks idea.

Ya but the gym stated he wasn’t giving up a player from the roster which was dumb and being cheap cost them

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sid could’ve easily gotten 5-8M more on that term tbh. It’s obviously easier to do when you have a NW of ~$100M but that’s a lot of money to turn down over 24 months.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think a 2 year deal makes the most sense for both sides. Takes him through the 2026-2027 season, which is also when Karlsson's deal expires. I'd be curious to see if Malkin takes a 1 year deal after his current deal is done as well, but I think he's likely KHL bound after his current deal is done.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Thank god that's taken care of. I never want to see him traded, but damn, that's a pretty valuable asset to a team looking to put themselves over the top.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Even though the Penguins are making rebuild style moves, I still think there is an expectation from the core that this team should still be going for it to a degree. I think Dubas has done pretty well with the moves he has made to add assets, but I think he also needs to look at adding young talent with some of the assets he has acquired.

Similar to McGroarty, if there is a young player available, I think Dubas should be willing to trade picks and prospects to get them. Ideally it wouldn't cost another Yager caliber guy but they should be willing to throw 2nd rounders and B prospects for young NHLers (23 or younger) if the opportunity arises. It's pretty rare, but if someone like 2022 Hagel were to become available, I'd want the Penguins to be all over that.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love that he signed "for less" and kept it at $8.7mil. That's such a Sid thing to do. All of the reports of "it will be $10mil+" just seemed so weird. Like, why does he cash in NOW? When they need max flexibility, why does he opt for more? Never believed that. 2yr puts him in a really good spot honestly. I think that also opens the door to one year deals after that which is exactly what he should be doing. I can see him doing what Bergy did too, those last years you take something like $3mil.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sid could’ve easily gotten 5-8M more on that term tbh. It’s obviously easier to do when you have a NW of ~$100M but that’s a lot of money to turn down over 24 months.

I'm pretty surprised at the cap hit. Specifically because we're poised to suck. Like, cash in big bro you've earned more than that.

So...to spool the rumors up here, does that mean Dubas intends to get more help on the roster?

Also, doesn't Sid still have the same house/same whips all these years? Not only does it help that he's made money, but he's also seemingly not spent the lot. Be cool if we learned post-retirement he was some huge investor on top of everything else.

I love that he signed "for less" and kept it at $8.7mil. That's such a Sid thing to do. All of the reports of "it will be $10mil+" just seemed so weird. Like, why does he cash in NOW? When they need max flexibility, why does he opt for more? Never believed that. 2yr puts him in a really good spot honestly. I think that also opens the door to one year deals after that which is exactly what he should be doing. I can see him doing what Bergy did too, those last years you take something like $3mil.

I thought the opposite. Take less during prime window - cash out in the end. What does saving this team any money at all accomplish right now? Team isn't very good (at all), cap goes up, they could pay him 20M a season and probably finish within the same position in the East.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I thought the opposite. Take less during prime window - cash out in the end. What does saving this team any money at all accomplish right now? Team isn't very good (at all), cap goes up, they could pay him 20M a season and probably finish within the same position in the East.
I think he made A LOT of money on endorsements as well. Pretty sure he's the top hockey earner ever. Well over $100mil and that doesn't include the endorsements so I can't imagine money is a big concern for him. If it is, maybe his wife can pick up a job once they retire.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So...to spool the rumors up here, does that mean Dubas intends to get more help on the roster?

lol no

If the Penguins miracle themselves into playoff position by the TDL you MIGHT see the team dish one of it's precious second rounders and a half-busted prospect for "help for the bottom six" or whatever. That's about it IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think he does but it remains open to debate whether anyone would be available that fits what he'd be looking for.

I don't think he trades for any rentals or older players, but would take a shot at a Hagel type of guy if he'd become available. It's just an issue of who like that may be available?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I find it hard to get worked up about the roster tbh. Idk how good we really ever were gonna be when the core was 37. Good bit of $ spent on getting picks too.

Like even if the post-B2B years were perfectly ran and we won even more cups, mediocrity/suckitude was probably always in the cards for this core in ‘23-24 and beyond. Unless they had rebuilt starting in like 2019 lmao.

Enjoy the lack of expectations people!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it hard to get worked up about the roster tbh. Idk how good we really ever were gonna be when the core was 37. Good bit of $ spent on getting picks too.

Like even if the post-B2B years were perfectly ran and we won even more cups, mediocrity/suckitude was probably always in the cards for this core in ‘23-24 and beyond. Unless they had rebuilt starting in like 2019 lmao.

Enjoy the lack of expectations people!

Yeah that is something that has always confused me here. People say non-stop that this team sucks and won't accomplish anything, but then get mad when they lose. Like if you think the team sucks, why are you expecting anything other than a loss?

I tolerate the Pirates going 75-87 because I don't expect them to be any better. With the Penguins, I don't expect them to be any better than a fringe playoff team that may make the playoffs and lose quickly in round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad