Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Great point by Rosen about how there was no one in the room who disagreed that PLD would help the team. What does that tell you about everyone in the room?

As for Lombardi, he should have been given the chance to rebuild. I don’t care what bad trades were made. He deserved the benefit of the doubt. It’s clear Luc was in ownership’s ears telling them he knew how to continue generating playoff revenue. Yes, the direction needed to be changed, but unfortunately, Luc came in and changed the culture again.
Good points, I think when it came to Lombardi I get the feeling he was absolutely getting burned out, you had the Slava problem, the Mike Richards problem then on top of that you had Luc in ownerships ears telling them look I can do a better job with my people. Is it a coincidence that so many of Lombardi's people have left or have been forced out of the organization. The way to resolve situation is to either clean house, which is the preferred solution or bring someone in to replace Luc as President of all hockey operations and then let that person make changes they feel are necessary and that should be someone with zero ties to organization.
You can put Luc back In marketing or a so called consultant for public relations.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Why has “get uncomfortable” become the main talking point of the offseason instead of the reason for needing to get uncomfortable in the first place? Blake openly admitted that the team’s “desire to win” is not high enough. I mean it’s so damning that they canceled a rebuild to build around two 30 year olds because they were supposed to be these two battle-tested playoff warriors who know how to win and then emptied the cupboard to import vets to fill every important position while preaching about intangibles and “unmeasurables”, and NOW they’re like “oh wait, our actual problem is they just don’t want to win enough, whoops.”

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The deeper the hole the team is in, the deeper the navel gaze hardcore fans indulge in. It’s a measure of management’s incompetence to see the state of Kings fans discussions. Even the marketing department is unsure of what to expect next season. Last year it was superior depth down the middle unlocking a deep playoff run.

Anyone keeping score can see how the messaging shifts with the tides. The palace coup started with a promise of keeping draft picks and changing style to an offensive minded team. We see what happened to those picks and how quickly the style has shifted to a team full of snot. And we’re also back to celebrating keeping picks because that is BLuc’s brilliant strategy.

These jokers in charge will change the narrative at every turn that suits their advantage. And their sycophants will work overtime to spin their message to the pathetic fan base who cling to any positive message.

Luc started his explanation for why the Kings are right there by calling out the org’s tagline emblazoned on the wall of the facility. If he’s being honest, they should tear down whatever propaganda they have up and replace it with the truth.

Silver, black and the crown may be the branding by overpaid committee. But the true values of the Robitaille and Blake legacy will be written as Job Security, Nepotism, and Mediocrity.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Completely, respectfully disagree. Reinhart and Stamkos were the top UFAs last year. Both signed in no income tax states. The Kings would have had to pay Reinhart $10mm just to match Florida's offer when you figure in taxes ($8,625,000/(1-.13)). Players are taxed in the state where the game is played- Reinhart plays over half his games on a $0 income tax state. On what planet are the Kings getting Gustav Forsling for the $5.75mm Florida is paying him? Stamkos and Marschesault both went to Nashville after playing in $0 income tax states. Next to the chance to win the Cup, AFTER TAX income is the biggest driver of UFA decisions. That trumps nice weather every single time. Want more proof? Why has no Canadian team won the Cup in 30+ years? Heck, only 1 Canadian-based team has even made the finals in quite a while. In baseball with no salary Cap, the big market teams can offer a lot more money to offset higher taxes. In the NHL with finite dollars to dole out, taxes matter, a lot. Ask yourself. why did Tkachuk want out of hockey-mad Calgary and immediately sign long term in Florida? This is an emerging theme that will increasingly dominate competitiveness in the NHL.
Taxes matter, but every player weighs the pros and cons of each team differently.

Rangers have always attracted more UFA's than any other team.

Wives and family often heavily influence decisions.

The primary reason Canadian teams haven't won is because there's less of them.

Reactions: Fripp

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Really damning thing about PLD was that the big caveat came true—“Vilardi could outscore him this season” saw Gabe with 22 goals in 47 games to PLDs full season 16. And Gabe was only 4 total points behind him in just over half the games too.

Even the rosiest outlook thought it could go bad—it went cataclysmic. How does an entire department of millionaires f*** that up so, so badly? That was milbury levels of incompetence and EVERYONE saw it. That he gets to keep his job after that is dereliction of duty by AEG.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Really damning thing about PLD was that the big caveat came true—“Vilardi could outscore him this season” saw Gabe with 22 goals in 47 games to PLDs full season 16. And Gabe was only 4 total points behind him in just over half the games too.

Even the rosiest outlook thought it could go bad—it went cataclysmic. How does an entire department of millionaires f*** that up so, so badly? That was milbury levels of incompetence and EVERYONE saw it. That he gets to keep his job after that is dereliction of duty by AEG.
i think the only thing that saved his job was that they still made the playoffs and he was able to make PLD go away without costing AEG real dollars. kuemper's contract is still cheaper than PLD's theoretical 1/3 buyout no? and LTIRetirement/buyoutable himself. and it resolved the goalie problem (ha ha). probably just savvy enough to keep AEG out of it while serving as the final straw

just saying that i think AEG might ignore/minimize the stagnancy because he weaseled his way out of the real damage

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Taxes matter, but every player weighs the pros and cons of each team differently.

Rangers have always attracted more UFA's than any other team.

Wives and family often heavily influence decisions.

The primary reason Canadian teams haven't won is because there's less of them.
I read this as "Texas matters", I tell you hwat.
hwat.png

Canada is also perma-cursed Cup wise thanks to McSorley's stick in 93. They can thank Montreal for that one.

Reactions: psych3man

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

Vilardi's issue is he's constantly getting injured & you can't count on him being healthy when the team needs him. Tons of skill & his body just won't do it. Sucks. I've moved on.

Edit; & suffers from foot in mouth disease.
i think the only thing that saved his job was that they still made the playoffs and he was able to make PLD go away without costing AEG real dollars. kuemper's contract is still cheaper than PLD's theoretical 1/3 buyout no? and LTIRetirement/buyoutable himself. and it resolved the goalie problem (ha ha). probably just savvy enough to keep AEG out of it while serving as the final straw

just saying that i think AEG might ignore/minimize the stagnancy because he weaseled his way out of the real damage
Believe Kuemper has some bonuses in his contract so a buyout on his deal isn't great.

The size of PL's contract makes me think it caught ownership's attention.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Thats why ultimately I think Beckerman and the Salt guy are the big moron here... he admitted in an interview he was a big fanboy of Luc in the 90s.. my guess is that clouds his evaluation of Luc's performance. A guess - but when things are this bad and they all still have jobs, you have consider the inane and absurd.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Interesting part of the article I am not sure many touched on: the last photo.

In the end, AEG is a business and if Anschutz starts losing money, changes will be made. Looking at the executive suites being empty is a canary in the coalmine for current management saying problems are here.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Interesting part of the article I am not sure many touched on: the last photo.

In the end, AEG is a business and if Anschutz starts losing money, changes will be made. Looking at the executive suites being empty is a canary in the coalmine for current management saying problems are here.

That doesn't really say much if the suites are sold and paid for. AEG probably couldn't care less if those suites are occupied, so long as they have their money.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
That doesn't really say much if the suites are sold and paid for. AEG probably couldn't care less if those suites are occupied, so long as they have their money.

Great point. AEG couldn't care less so long the profit keeps rolling.

2022-2023 Revenue for the LA kings was third in the league at 279 million. Only the Leafs and Oilers were higher.

Maybe there won't be any change unless those numbers go down like the stock market when covid hit.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Luc brings in money. That’s all that matters. Winning is secondary as long as the line for the trough is more pigs than the eye can behold.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Most large orgs have a customer advisory board.. do Kings still meet for Q and A with the season ticket holders? That would be the place to say your piece

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kings have had plenty of black hole seasons. Next one feels like it’ll land in the middle of that bunch.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ownership cares about winning.

Ownership is also very patient.

Maybe too patient.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
LA Kings block former coach Todd McLellan from taking new job

:huh:

445695.webp

If a new contract is signed for less than the old one, the coach still gets top up payments from his former team. It's possible McLellan would be taking less money with Columbus than he was getting with the Kings, and LA didn't want to pay the difference hoping that Columbus would come back with a better offer. That remains to be seen.

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009

445695.webp

If a new contract is signed for less than the old one, the coach still gets top up payments from his former team. It's possible McLellan would be taking less money with Columbus than he was getting with the Kings, and LA didn't want to pay the difference hoping that Columbus would come back with a better offer. That remains to be seen.
Dumb signing in the past coming back to bite management in the ass. Guess which Kings signing I’m talking about.

Reactions: Omni Owl

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah that's the best I can make of it. AEG doesn't give a shit about picks/prospects/kids as much as we do, inasmuch as they are a means to that sweet sweet 2 games of playoff revenue yearly, and thus far Blake is just good enough to f*** the team up into the black hole for the forseeable future.

445695.webp

Now THAT would get them some side eye around the league

Reactions: Schrute farms

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think Dean was going to drastically change the direction based on his last interview with Bob Miller. Luc promised he could still win with Kopitar and Doughty as the core, but that thought was delusional.
And the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. I used to love Luc and I’ve completely soured on him at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad