Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Right or wrong, the Kings believe they're going to at least be a playoff team. They're not trading Gavrikov before the season because he's a UFA in 12 months. If they're 12th in the West and 11pts out or whatever by the deadline, they'll deal him for picks. If they're in a spot, contender or not, they're not dealing him. That's not just a Blake thing. That's not just a Kings thing. Nobody does that. If that means he chooses to walk after that, he walks.

If you're planning to suck during a season, sure. Go to the vet, say we're no longer doing this, so where do you want to go? The Kings might suck next year, but that's not the intention.
The messaging coming from management is that the King's are contenders & right there. Most King's fans aren't buying it. Doubt Blake is buying it going into a season with Rittich having a 50:50 shot at being the starter, among other things.

We've seen Blake pivot on what he believes it takes to be successful in the playoffs this summer. Quite possible Gavrikov on a 1 year deal no longer fits the plan going forward.

If the King's were contenders & going for it, they'd just treat Gavrikov like Roy. Getting burned two years in a row for 1 playoff win is going to be hilarious.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Gotcha.

If Yannetti followed his strict criteria he’d have had George in a certain tier and if he was the only player left in that tier he’s BPA and taken. I don’t actually think that was the case, so he was selected on additional criteria… I think. I don’t mind us having such a strong goalie pipeline because a lot of goalies that are expected to be NHL player fall short. I think it has bitten us in the recent past and they want to be sure it doesn’t happen again. They have probably factored in the college guys going pro later than CHL players in the prospect age distribution. So it will probably filter through ok…. If that makes any sense. So I’m not sure they are looking to move anyone, but couldn’t rule it out.
I'll see if I can find it, but Yannetti said there were extenuating circumstances. He specifically mentions an earlier pick of Nabokov.

They were expecting the first couple goalies taken to be bigger ones. When Nabokov was taken, they thought George was a higher risk of going early.

I think Yannetti called out specifically their original plan wasn't to take George in the second.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The messaging coming from management is that the King's are contenders & right there. Most King's fans aren't buying it. Doubt Blake is buying it going into a season with Rittich having a 50:50 shot at being the starter, among other things.

We've seen Blake pivot on what he believes it takes to be successful in the playoffs this summer. Quite possible Gavrikov on a 1 year deal no longer fits the plan going forward.

If the King's were contenders & going for it, they'd just treat Gavrikov like Roy. Getting burned two years in a row for 1 playoff win is going to be hilarious.

Then why trade for Jeannot with 1 year left?

If they hadn't re-signed Kopitar, then there could be a path to trading Gavrikov before the season. Then things are changing. But the signing of Caleb Jones to a nothing contract is indicative of the idea? He's cheap depth, not a replacement for one of your top 3/4 defensemen.

I don't see how free agent status has anything to do with what the Kings are doing. If there's some good trade out there with a team that Gavrikov would agree to go to, that's fine, trade him yesterday. Other than wished for asset management because the team isn't a contender though, where is this Gavrikov theory coming from?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kings better re sign Jeannot.
Yes but I think they need to see him in a Kings uniform first. If he is over his fitness issues, fits the franchise, team, coach etc then absolutely extend him. He’s definitely the type of player we need but we need to be confident he actually delivers. We can’t repeat the Kopitar mistake and sign the extension too early, especially as there are too many unknowns.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Kings are trying to win NOW.

They're not gonna trade Gavrikov, just like they didn't trade Roy.

The only scenario where he gets traded is if the Kings are for sure going to miss the playoffs.

He's more likely to get extended than traded IMO.
Only Way i see Gavrikov being traded is 1.management all of sudden becomes smart, don't see that happening. 2. Kings fall out of playoffs considerably, 50/50.
3. Gavrikov asked to be traded, doubt it, he's hoping Kings will offer another stupid $$ contract.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Then why trade for Jeannot with 1 year left?

If they hadn't re-signed Kopitar, then there could be a path to trading Gavrikov before the season. Then things are changing. But the signing of Caleb Jones to a nothing contract is indicative of the idea? He's cheap depth, not a replacement for one of your top 3/4 defensemen.

I don't see how free agent status has anything to do with what the Kings are doing. If there's some good trade out there with a team that Gavrikov would agree to go to, that's fine, trade him yesterday. Other than wished for asset management because the team isn't a contender though, where is this Gavrikov theory coming from?
Blake has pivoted in The Plan. He's now playing the youth, allegedly & picked up phisical players to protect the youth. He's saying physical players are the path to playoff success. Not buying Edmundson is the missing piece for a cup.

The King's feel like they're at a point where Byfield & Clarke aren't going to develop into impact players before Kopi & Doughty fade. Also doesn't look like the Kings are going to be able to add a player that's a bridge between them. It's a bit early still, but will become quite obvious in the near future that the King's are doing another rebuild. They're simply out of options.

Last year the focus was on winning. This year it's becoming clear the focus needs to be on the future & the future team they want to build. If Gavrikov doesn't want to be here for the long term, fine. Move him. It's time to focus on the future.

They'll probably promote Fagemo to running Kaliyev's hotdog stand after trading Kaliyev.

C. Jones is a nothing piece. Probably AHL insurance if other player get poached

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
We all know Turcotte and Thomas will make the team. I am interested to see if Fagemo can unseat Lewis and take the 4th line wing. Or the Kings bring back Kayilev. Either are better than 82 games of Lewis.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I really hope they left Gavrikov walk and finally sign Chychrun.
If they wanted Chychrun they would have traded for him, he was there for the taking. Problem is there are certain people now in organization pushing different things. Boy the thing about Lombardi is , he's word was gospel and he made final decisions. Didnt matter if you had the president of sales and marketing trying to push his opinions Dean shut that crap down. It wasn't till the end where certain voices got in ownerships ears and with losing and Dean becoming burned out and Sutter being Suttet, those people struck at the right bv time and here we are now

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Didn't mean to make that a negative connotation.

I'm honestly a bit baffled by the G Carter George choice at 57. Not to question Carter George the exemplary youung man and level of quality goalie....but I would be 50% best forward available, 50% best defenseman available at 57. 0 chance goalie. Because the Kings have Portillo and Slukynsky and they both had great seasons.

The forwards in the system: Greentree. Just selected and then forwards 21 or under in the system:
Pinelli, Ziemmer, Conmy, Wright, Connors, Hughes, Lawrence. Maybe with some luck, 1 top 6 out of this group, besides Greentree.
Defenemen in the system, under 21 not named Clarke...Dvorak, Mania, Booth, Sparkes.
Zero legit top 4 talents. Mania has skills and maybe he becomes one.

Given the above, are you taking a goalie at 57? I'm not. I think Yannetti said they saw 1 goalie on their list taken before George and they wanted him...and were nervous when it was getting close to 57...but there were 2 others (going from memory of over 3 Yannnetti interviews) in the tier where George was. I could be mistaken. But it seems there were a few skaters in the same tier. F? D?
He didn't say. If there are a few in your tier, they take the goalie? I feel 100% better about Slukynsky, Portillo, than I do about the forward or defensemen group. No doubt they probably loved a forward or defensemen there, at 57.

It may be over thinking. But I'm sure many in the upper echelon are consulted, when Blake is talking deals and GMs are not calling about Kaliyev, Booth or even a Helnius, etc. They are probably hoping the Kings esteem Portillo and they may be able to get Slukynsky. If that's even true, it may lead Blake to consult the goalie coaches and Yannetti and runs it by them that teams are calling about Slukynsky. They would probably tell him to not deal him. Maybe they brainstorm and say if a Necas could be a King, if they would move Slukynsky, they then pivot and say, there's a few goalies in the 2024 draft that may be as good as Hammer...and why not try to get one of them and then see about future deals, where they could move him. What else makes sense? Let's get 3 future NHL goalies and have a very lean crop of top end forwards and defensemen,

I'm sure many here have heard the DL interview when he was talking about the early days and building the team...he said "man, you should have heard the calls I got for Visnovsky...holy smokes!" Meaning several GMs coveted Vis and he was getting offers. He ended up moving him for Greene and Stoll. His first big move, I think. GMs see that Blake dealt Faber and they are probably thinking....let's get one of their best in their system...Blake has no issue moving them.
A lot will change by now and in the 4 years it will take George to make a dent

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings had only Portillo and Ingham in the system last summer. You can argue they made a mistake letting Villarta go after how well he played in Tuscon.

Now they have Portillo, George and Slukynsky.

Lombardi always said build from the back end out. He had Quick, Bernier, Jones…

Doughty, Spence and Clarke will all be eating up the right side of the D core for years so no point in drafting a RHD. Mania is in the prospect pool. LHD is the weakness and they drafted a player in the 6th round - the next pick after Greentree and George. Kirsanov looks like he’s coming over. They drafted Dvorak last year.

Next year the Kings have all their picks except a second. They can add some solid D and forwards and keep restocking the cabinet.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings had only Portillo and Ingham in the system last summer. You can argue they made a mistake letting Villarta go after how well he played in Tuscon.

Now they have Portillo, George and Slukynsky.

Lombardi always said build from the back end out. He had Quick, Bernier, Jones…

Doughty, Spence and Clarke will all be eating up the right side of the D core for years so no point in drafting a RHD. Mania is in the prospect pool. LHD is the weakness and they drafted a player in the 6th round - the next pick after Greentree and George. Kirsanov looks like he’s coming over. They drafted Dvorak last year.

Next year the Kings have all their picks except a second. They can add some solid D and forwards and keep restocking the cabinet.
There are things to be optimistic about.

IMO, if the Kings want to rebuild, they're in a decent position to do so.

Problem is, no one has faith in Luc/Blake to do it well. They're reactionaries. That's why there's so much pessimism around here.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yep. I will continue to defend yanetti and staff until I am blue in the face.
Agreed it’s rock solid IMO, every season right up until the end of the 7th round of the draft. Yannetti has made the odd mistake but he will recognise that.

He won’t do it publicly though until a player is no longer with us because throwing a current prospect under the bus is both dumb and shitty. I’m saying that because someone, that doesn’t like Yannetti, is bound to raise one of our current prospects at this point. I like Yannetti because he is very good at trying to be better every year, he evolves and adapts which makes him someone I hope is with us for a while yet.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I really hope they left Gavrikov walk and finally sign Chychrun.

I hope they move Gavrikov and any other UFA to be guys at the TDL (if they are out of the playoffs). But I don't want Chychrun anywhere near this team. He is the dollar store version of Erik Karlsson that doesn't play defense well, not physical, and doesn't fit with any Dman on the Kings other than Edmundson. Which those two together would make everyone on this site lose their s-h-i-t more than the Martinez/Muzzin pairing.

I'll see if I can find it, but Yannetti said there were extenuating circumstances. He specifically mentions an earlier pick of Nabokov.

They were expecting the first couple goalies taken to be bigger ones. When Nabokov was taken, they thought George was a higher risk of going early.

I think Yannetti called out specifically their original plan wasn't to take George in the second.

I think LA was hoping to get a 3rd for Kaliyev at the draft so they could have taken George in that draft spot but when that didn't happen they had to jump on him in the 2nd because he wasn't lasting until the 4th.

My question for you...what are the odds that we can maybe see George vs Slukynsky as the World Junior Starters for US and Canada?

Kings better re sign Jeannot.
Let's worry about signing Byfield and Spence, figuring out the Kaliyev situation and how the season starts before thinking about resigning Jeannot (someone who hasn't even put on a Kings jersey yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: funky

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t want to hear any glazing of the drafting or anyone until the Kings have any of them pan out.

Reactions: FSL KINGS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad