Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Man, Jon Rosen was not kidding when he said that things behind the scenes were even worse than they appeared on the surface.

The 3 years tells me that they are comfortable that there is no change in philosophy coming anytime soon. Not even Todd got that kind of security. Blake will either be quietly extended by December or, if the rumors about him wanting to retire are true, he’ll surf off into the sunset while Nelson Emerson slides into the chair.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
When bluc dictate a system/ playing time/ lines etc to the hc it gives them yet another excuse and a scapegoat for thier inappropriate unethical behavior. Poor sap.
Yes - in Koala's case he was told we're making you the highest paid HC in the league under one condition - you take orders from the amorphous francois cabal. In Hiller's case its - you want to break into the league as a head coach w a 3 year contract? follow the doctrine and you will survive

I dont understand why the local hockey media hasnt dug further into the admitted fact that the 1-3-1 was pushed onto Koala. That to me is outrageous... what org does that?

Reactions: chris kontos

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I think people (not you necessarily) overlook Hiller's body of work with the powerplay before coming to LA.

With Detroit, they went from 18th overall in powerplay (17.8%) in 2013-14 to 2nd overall after he was hired in 2014-15. He left after the season, and Detroit went back down to 13th at 18.8%.

Upon joining Toronto, their PP went from 26th at 15.9% to 29th at 15.4% - which was the year they won the Matthews lottery. Even with the Leafs at their worst, he kept the team at the same level. After one season, these were Toronto's PP% rankings and numbers:
2nd - 23.8%
2nd - 25%
8th - 21.8%

So, his not admitting the powerplay needs work is certainly alarming, but when he gets to do his thing, and with even a mediocre team, he has elevated every team's powerplay.

He can't turn water to wine, but he has a reputation as a good powerplay coach for a reason.
That’s a fair point. I have concerns about the over-performance based on quality of chances in 2022-23, the regression this year, and the stubbornness in the playoffs to change anything about the stagnant power play, but I don’t think it’s all Hiller. There are a few constants (Kopitar, Doughty) on the power play across coaching regimes who, while productive on a rate basis, have had some pretty middling power plays that are characterized by stationary perimeter play.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Does Weekes do that awful angle on purpose or does he actually think it looks good lol

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Multi year extension.

f***ing crazy how incompetent this organization is.

What were you expecting, a 1 year deal? Multi year could be only 2, and probably pretty low cost. Any marquee coach would've cost 4 mil on top of the 5 they're paying TMac. AEG probably didn't want to tie up nearly 10 mil in coaches salary after the Sutter fiasco years ago. I;m willing to let Hiller put his own mark on the team, where he gets to design the various offense and defensive set ups, not just carry over what the other coach had in place

Does Weekes do that awful angle on purpose or does he actually think it looks good lol

It started out as an accident when he was reporting on something and only recorded his forehead. The reaction was really good and quite funny, so he kept it.

Reactions: David Lunch

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Especially when you see Tochet figured out how to shut down EDM PP... 3rd season in a row Kings bring a plastic fork to a gun fight

The Kings did the complete opposite to what made they're pk good this year vs EDM. It was like the 2023 playoffs all over again.No pressure , easy zone entries and too much respect. Vancouver went right at them, hit them, stayed in lanes and pressured the point guys. It didn't work all the time, but at least it wasn't a gimme pp goal like it was against us.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Eric Stephens in The Athletic on Hiller.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 5.59.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 5.59.16 PM.png
    622.7 KB · Views: 4

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
What were you expecting, a 1 year deal? Multi year could be only 2, and probably pretty low cost. Any marquee coach would've cost 4 mil on top of the 5 they're paying TMac. AEG probably didn't want to tie up nearly 10 mil in coaches salary after the Sutter fiasco years ago. I;m willing to let Hiller put his own mark on the team, where he gets to design the various offense and defensive set ups, not just carry over what the other coach had in place

It started out as an accident when he was reporting on something and only recorded his forehead. The reaction was really good and quite funny, so he kept it.

Yeah, that Sutter fiasco is really haunting the team in 2024.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yea what a loonie thing to say. Blame Sutter in 2024. Its not Blakes fault for signing TMac to an early extension and paying him to stay home, or firing Stevens.
Or paying Phaneuf and Kovalchuk to go away or paying Petersen big bucks to play in the minors. Or paying Provorov to play in Columbus. Or paying PLD 8.5 mill to play on the 4th line in the playoffs.
Now the apologists are blaming it on Sutter that Blake cant upgrade behind the bench. What was he supposed to do??

Jun 30, 2006
Man, Jon Rosen was not kidding when he said that things behind the scenes were even worse than they appeared on the surface.

The 3 years tells me that they are comfortable that there is no change in philosophy coming anytime soon. Not even Todd got that kind of security. Blake will either be quietly extended by December or, if the rumors about him wanting to retire are true, he’ll surf off into the sunset while Nelson Emerson slides into the chair.
“the words on the wall mean something, family, passion and I forget the other word.” -Luc

This is not a serious franchise. Come on.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Never blamed Sutter for 2024 .The fiasco was the contracts being paid to 3 coaches. Sutter signed a 4 year extension at 5 + mil per, got fired the next season. AEG was on the hook paying him for 3 more years. Stevens was hired, then fired after a year and Willie D too when he replaced him. That's 3 coaches they're paying for not coaching. Then TMac was hired , paying him 5 as well. At one point they could've been paying all 4 at once. AEG likes his money, and wasn't about to hire another 4-5 mil guy for long term when they're still paying Todd. Hiller is a cheap alternative and after a few years if it isn't working, it a cheaper way out.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Fiasco though?

Lombardi got after it, the bill came due.

I think because of the pure domination of 2012 and the unbeatable 2014 run that some folks don't remember just how much depth the Kings needed to win in those three magical years. Their top players have never exactly been "top" players, just spotless technicians who proved that they could ply their trade at the highest of levels while the cost of winning took its toll.

Reactions: David Lunch

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Never blamed Sutter for 2024 .The fiasco was the contracts being paid to 3 coaches. Sutter signed a 4 year extension at 5 + mil per, got fired the next season. AEG was on the hook paying him for 3 more years. Stevens was hired, then fired after a year and Willie D too when he replaced him. That's 3 coaches they're paying for not coaching. Then TMac was hired , paying him 5 as well. At one point they could've been paying all 4 at once. AEG likes his money, and wasn't about to hire another 4-5 mil guy for long term when they're still paying Todd. Hiller is a cheap alternative and after a few years if it isn't working, it a cheaper way out.
They need to have buyouts for coaches...that was ridiculous re Sutter I had forgotten about that

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If it's Craig Johnson, well... I'll just hope it works out.

I'm just discouraged because it doesn't sound creative. Just going more with familiarity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad