Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Jeff and Elliotte unveil that Tyler Toffoli is on the LA Kings' radar (17:45),

• Haha
Reactions: RocketKing

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Seems like a nice spot to be in where you get credit for good picks and then someone else gets blamed for when they don't turn out.

Was Al Murray making picks for Taylor or were those DT's calls? Everyone wanted Murray gone: now he's thought of as a stud.

What makes Yannetti immune from most criticism? Because he was involved in the Cups and he gives media availability?
I feel like you're being intentionally daft here.

Who said Yannetti's immune from criticism? You were asking why don't we clamor for Yannetti to be fired. We don't want Blake just for making bad picks just like we don't want Yannetti for making bad picks.

Blake ignoring his scouts, along with several other development, deployment, and roster concerns, gets people wanting him fired.

Yannetti has, since his DL days, had a fair share of bad picks. But he's also had good ones. You want to criticize picks, go for it.

Al Murray's body of work from 1994-95 to 2004 includes: Jokinen, Cammalleri, Frolov, Belanger, Brown. In those 10 drafts, he had 6 regular NHLers/stars. In 2005, he had Quick and Kopitar then Bernier and Lewis in 2006.

That's a pretty mediocre body of work for a decade's time. And almost all of them were first-round picks. 117 picks from the 1995 draft to 2005.

In the past decade, the Kings have drafted Kempe, Amadio, Middleton, Cernak, Roy, Vilardi, Byfield, Faber, Laferriere, and Clarke - all of whom either have already established themselves as NHLers or look like they're going to. That doesn't include the years some of these players need to become an NHLer. And you notice there's a wider range in where the successes are. 67 picks since 2014 draft. I know Futa was part of the org still, but the window is the same with as little of Futa as possible.

117 picks versus 67.
7 regular NHLers versus what looks like 10, at least.

Murray either had better direction with TB or he simply got better at what he did. But his body of work, with nearly double the picks in a set time frame, was underwhelming with LA. Yannetti has shown more reliability of making good picks, which is why he gets more leeway.

But that doesn't mean we think he's immune from making bad picks or getting criticized. We were responding to you asking why a lot of people don't want him fired.

Reactions: tigermask48

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I think there are bad picks too.

The development is good, but we can't act like every pick was great and the Kings ruined all of them.

Every pick is great on draft day as long as it isn't a reach based on projected draft order.
I think a whole new fresh management group should be brought from outside Kings organization with new and current philosophies. It is time for a new approach

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Who said Yannetti's immune from criticism? You were asking why don't we clamor for Yannetti to be fired. We don't want Blake just for making bad picks just like we don't want Yannetti for making bad picks.

Blake ignoring his scouts, along with several other development, deployment, and roster concerns, gets people wanting him fired.

Yannetti has, since his DL days, had a fair share of bad picks. But he's also had good ones. You want to criticize picks, go for it.

Al Murray's body of work from 1994-95 to 2004 includes: Jokinen, Cammalleri, Frolov, Belanger, Brown. In those 10 drafts, he had 6 regular NHLers/stars. In 2005, he had Quick and Kopitar then Bernier and Lewis in 2006.

That's a pretty mediocre body of work for a decade's time. And almost all of them were first-round picks. 117 picks from the 1995 draft to 2005.

In the past decade, the Kings have drafted Kempe, Amadio, Middleton, Cernak, Roy, Vilardi, Byfield, Faber, Laferriere, and Clarke - all of whom either have already established themselves as NHLers or look like they're going to. That doesn't include the years some of these players need to become an NHLer. And you notice there's a wider range in where the successes are. 67 picks since 2014 draft. I know Futa was part of the org still, but the window is the same with as little of Futa as possible.

117 picks versus 67.

Murray either had better direction with TB or he simply got better at what he did. But his body of work, with nearly double the picks in a set time frame, was underwhelming with LA. Yannetti has shown more reliability of making good picks, which is why he gets more leeway.

But that doesn't mean we think he's immune from making bad picks or getting criticized. We were responding to you asking why a lot of people don't want him fired.
For a start, last years 2nd round pick Hughes looks worrisome although a slight caveat is that he gained no weight over this past season.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think a whole new fresh management group should be brought from outside Kings organization with new and current philosophies. It is time for a new approach
I understand why you say it. From a strategy standpoint I certainly see the case for it. It needs to start with Luc and his replacement then brings his own vision and inevitably a new GM. After that they assess who to keep based on who can deliver against that vision. You’re never going to sack everyone at the same time anyway.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I understand why you say it. From a strategy standpoint I certainly see the case for it. It needs to start with Luc and his replacement then brings his own vision and inevitably a new GM. After that they assess who to keep based on who can deliver against that vision. You’re never going to sack everyone at the same time anyway.
Exactly, Luc has to go, then new President of Hockey operations comes in and brings his vision and with him the people he fills will best implement that vision

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

117 picks versus 67.

I would think the thing that Yannetti has over Murray's time with the Kings is the thing that everyone is blaming the lack of draft success on: development.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If the Kings Mt Rushmore is Kopitar, Quick, Brown and Doughty. Well then three of them were drafted by Dave Taylor and Al Murray. Facts are facts. And this is coming from a guy who wanted DT fired in order to hire DL.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I would think the thing that Yannetti has over Murray's time with the Kings is the thing that everyone is blaming the lack of draft success on: development.
That's a fair point. Murray had the disadvantage of working with a regime that didn't prioritize (or understand) development.

It would be interesting to see how Murray's picks would fare in today's system.

But I think part of it also is we know more now as well. Who on this forum thought of the topic of developing prospects, and incorporating a more solid infrastructure, before DL? I didn't. And I don't recall discussions on here or LGK aside from some nebulous term.

So, you're right. Maybe Murray wasn't as bad as we thought. But I think the landscape has changed significantly enough where it's a moot point.

Either way, Yannetti has shown enough where he has earned more time. Though note that's not immunity from criticism.

Blake has shown very little where he deserves anymore patience. In any aspect of his job. So there's reason he gets more blame than Yannetti.

Reactions: Statto and BigKing

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Bridge was out. What'd I miss?

Did happen to drive by a watermelon truck on the detour though so it's not all bad.

Edit: you can't get there from here. :laugh:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
How are we feeling about Stamkos? I think he'd be a perfect fit tbh. Help out the PP, and more importantly he could share center duties with Byfield at even strength. Let him learn how to be a C like Dallas did with Johnston sharing the role with Benn.

Kopitar and Danault are far too valuable at C to split duties, but Stamkos is already in that hybrid role with Tampa

Reactions: dman3474

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Al Murray was here a looooooong time and drafted a ton of players whose careers ranged from short to star level. A great deal of them found more success away from the Kings.

It's too varied a role to really assign any specific blame or credit, but we do typically use the figurehead at the time as the name we talk about for brevity sake.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
How are we feeling about Stamkos? I think he'd be a perfect fit tbh. Help out the PP, and more importantly he could share center duties with Byfield at even strength. Let him learn how to be a C like Dallas did with Johnston sharing the role with Benn.

Kopitar and Danault are far too valuable at C to split duties, but Stamkos is already in that hybrid role with Tampa
I was thinking the same thing.

Is dancing boy still around? Time to pull that stamkos jersey out

Reactions: crassbonanza

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ii'll give him a call and tell him if he knows whats good for him he better sign with us.

This guy is exactly what:cool: we need
Anderson-Gavrikov-Zadorov is a lot of money on the left side. I suppose yea Gavrikov is up after next year and the right side has 2 ELCs but still a lot of money

Reactions: chris kontos

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Anderson-Gavrikov-Zadorov is a lot of money on the left side. I suppose yea Gavrikov is up after next year and the right side has 2 ELCs but still a lot of money
To me, nikita zadorov is a bone crushing beast. We seriously need beast d men
Good to hear from you guys in the peg. That defense you ran eith byfugelin trouba and chirot and morrisey etc was one of the best ive seen

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sure there are bad picks. But we're talking about overall body of work. We don't talk about firing Yannetti because as a whole, he's a net positive.

Yanetti (and staff) is awesome and if he were fired he would get hired within a month. Mark my words.

I am all-in on this franchise's actual drafting is top-10 at worst (and would be better if they didn't suck dongs in the first round which is a GM fault) and development is bottom 5. (and yes this is statistically supportable by points, games played, etc...many of which are OUTSIDE the Kings which also points to development).

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008

Yes on Stamkos. Unfortunately he'll be highly sought after, and I could actually see Detroit, NYR, Toronto, or even the Ducks make a bid over us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad