Fire Luke Richardson

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
sure, you've reconfigured your lineup. now, let's say that a part of that reconfiguration is that you move a guy from a lower line to a higher line. do you have a particular problem with describing this move as a "promotion" for that guy?

If someone is being "promoted", does that not also imply someone else is being "demoted"? Again, like I said originally, I can see circumstances where someone is playing well and you give them a look in the top line and that could be viewed as a promotion but generally speaking I don't think moving guys around your lineup is suggesting guys are being promoted or demoted from positions, as if on merit. You're just getting a different look.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Shoukd he scratch Bedard and Teuvo for both hoibg -3 and both zero offensive points?
Why not make an example iof them?

Hey...Barfy was +1 ..but a penalty he took cost us a goal and since he is a pk dman him off hurt us in that spectrum.

Mrazek has stunk this season...unlike ladt season when he covered up the flaws ...I guess he cannot handle not getting barrage with shots ...just getting a "normal" workload and now cannot make the big sVrs to kill penalties or keep games close.

statswatcher

the smartest guy in athens knows he's dumb
Jul 27, 2022
If someone is being "promoted", does that not also imply someone else is being "demoted"? Again, like I said originally, I can see circumstances where someone is playing well and you give them a look in the top line and that could be viewed as a promotion but generally speaking I don't think moving guys around your lineup is suggesting guys are being promoted or demoted from positions, as if on merit. You're just getting a different look.
to me, a promotion is being given more ice time, and a demotion is being given less. i don't see why merit comes into it unless you are evaluating whether the promotion/demotion was warranted.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
sure, you've reconfigured your lineup. now, let's say that a part of that reconfiguration is that you move a guy from a lower line to a higher line. do you have a particular problem with describing this move as a "promotion" for that guy?
Not necessarily. If say, line 2 was gelling and you didn't want to mess with it, and the player isn't a 4th line grinder, you have 2 spots to put him. If lines 1 and 3 aren't working you could switch 2 players around, but still give them roughly the same ice time and have a rotating cast for certain moments in the game. I wouldn't necessarily say that situation is a promotion more than a line blender of sorts.

If it's a 4th line grinder coming out of nowhere or a young kid that has played well and you moved them up your lineup, that is clearly a promotion.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Not necessarily. If say, line 2 was gelling and you didn't want to mess with it, and the player isn't a 4th line grinder, you have 2 spots to put him. If lines 1 and 3 aren't working you could switch 2 players around, but still give them roughly the same ice time and have a rotating cast for certain moments in the game. I wouldn't necessarily say that situation is a promotion more than a line blender of sorts.

If it's a 4th line grinder coming out of nowhere or a young kid that has played well and you moved them up your lineup, that is clearly a promotion.
i don't see how you swap players on line 1 and 3 and end up with them playing the same amount of ice time unless:
a) line 1 and 3 were already playing equal amounts of ice time;
or;
b) the two players are rotating between line 1 and 3.

in case a, no one is moving up or down the lineup at all because the lines are already equivalent in playing time. in case b, you have several promotions and demotions within the same game that cancel out to being no movement at all on aggregate.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
i don't see how you swap players on line 1 and 3 and end up with them playing the same amount of ice time unless:
a) line 1 and 3 were already playing equal amounts of ice time;
or;
b) the two players are rotating between line 1 and 3.

in case a, no one is moving up or down the lineup at all because the lines are already equivalent in playing time. in case b, you have several promotions and demotions within the same game that cancel out to being no movement at all on aggregate.

Mikheyev, Bertuzzi and Foligno all average basically the same TOI per game at even strength. Those are the three LWs. The difference at ES is pretty marginal, unless you're Bedard. Even Kurashev and Teravainen's difference boils down to shift length more than opportunity to be on the ice.

1729655885226.png

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mikheyev, Bertuzzi and Foligno all average basically the same TOI per game at even strength. Those are the three LWs. The difference at ES is pretty marginal, unless you're Bedard. Even Kurashev and Teravainen's difference boils down to shift length more than opportunity to be on the ice.

View attachment 920348
Man are there so many problems with this list. Lol

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

View attachment 920348
1000014541.jpg

this is hockey reference's all strengths toi for last game against buffalo (tonight's game hasn't been put up yet, and for some reason you can't filter by even strength from here). this gives a picture of a team with a clear first line (bedard and whoever), a relatively undifferentiated and interchangable middle six, and a clear 4th line. looking that the nhl game center toi reports for tonight's game tells me that this isn't just an illusion.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Richardson is an old school coach. Sure, lets discuss but to constantly call for him to be fired at this point is premature.
As for Hall. No, it's not a promotion. For the umpteenth time it's a move to give Bedard some breathing room on the ice and as an added bonus to get a former first round pick who has missed close to an entire season at 31 yrs old a little boost on the scoreboard and in his confidence. Hall is a north/south type of player. When he arrived in Chicago the coach rightly chose to line him up with Bedard. IMO, that experiment needs to be continued.
Why is this so difficult to understand??
Because Hall is bad without the puck and all of Bedard's good comes with the puck on his stick. Oil and water Bobby.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Richardson said they did talk and he took the news as well as you could have hoped. Said the right things. Blah blah blah. At the end of the day, the scratch is just unreasonable and stupid. There's no justification for it. Kurashev isn't some rookie at this point. If he had a bad game, you address it and move on and if Kurashev continues to struggle/not listen/whatever, then you scratch him to send a stronger message.
I'm with you on that one. Just wanted to point out about that part.
It just wasn't the right argument to make.

You don't scratch Kurashev in that situation and it's stupid. If it's not working, you try other combinations or bring him back up with Bedard.

Firing LuRich will happen at one point, I just don't see it happening within the next 40 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad