Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're putting too much value into Newhook, Mesar's upside is infinitly better. Allow Hage to deveop first and then we'll see. Beck does not have Mesar's offensive talent.

Dach, hasn't played a full season season yet where he's healthy

Laine, question mark question mark question mark

PP is trash and Mesar is really good on the PP

This is the current top 6 he'll be fighting for a spot?

He'll be ok

I hope Mesar busts his ass off and proves the doubters wrong. Always cheering for good stories like this but not going to hold my breath.

If Mesar cares and has the will power to improve his flaws... there is no shortage of development coaches to help him get there. Ice time in Laval is wide open for him to take.

Stay hungry and show up each shift. Learn from mistakes.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You're literally making up your own definition of a scoring chance.

But again, if Mesar plays the entire game in the offensive zone, preventing the other teams lines from exiting that zone, that is not valuable? Ok, thanks.
That is a pretty big if.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Filip "Bobby Orr" Mesar

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 4.49.20 AM.png

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Who knew? 🤣
For 2+ years the experts on the internet have been screaming BUST!

I have watched all 4 Laval games and he is a fun, skilled player!
I did. And have said so in numerous posts. Mostly everyone just looked at his points in Kitchener and said he should be producing more, without knowing the whole story about Kitchener's issues during that time.

So I'll restate:
- I have his upside potential to be a 55-65pt top 6 forward, and he'll require the opportunity to reach it, if he's placed in a bottom role he won't be able to play himself to the top 6, (think Sergei Samsonov lite)
- his downside, PPG player in the AHL

Reactions: Bombshell11

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If all goes right with him, he can be a similar player to Mikael Granlund who racks up a ton of assists and is good on the PP. With how shitty our PP and secondary are, we could use that type of player.

Between Dach, Newhook, Kapanen, Beck, Heineman, Roy, Hage, Demidov and Mesar there should be a lot of competition for spots in the middle six on the roster in the near future so hopefully we start seeing young guys make the most with their opportunities.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
If all goes right with him, he can be a similar player to Mikael Granlund who racks up a ton of assists and is good on the PP.

With how shitty our PP and secondary are, we could use that type of player.

Mesar will do this in the NHL as well

We've gotten too used of prospects busting around here that we're failling to recognize the great talents.

Mesar had no idea how to defend 1 month ago. They taught him and he learned. This guy's IQ is off the chart.

IQ, dedication, motor, speed, passion... he's it.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who knew? 🤣
For 2+ years the experts on the internet have been screaming BUST!

I have watched all 4 Laval games and he is a fun, skilled player!

The funny part is that when people stat watched his numbers in Kitchener, he was a bust. But when they watched him at the WJC, he was a great prospect. Then he goes back to Kitchener, so the stat watching resumed, and he was back to being a bust.

Now that he's in Laval and people get to watch him, he's a great prospect again. It's always fun when they put points on the board, but even without the points, you see how good Mesar is.

It's almost like when you watch the games, you appreciate the player. And when you stat watch, you don't get the full story of their game. And with Mesar, it's been like that to a higher degree than most other prospects.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The funny part is that when people stat watched his numbers in Kitchener, he was a bust. But when they watched him at the WJC, he was a great prospect. Then he goes back to Kitchener, so the stat watching resumed, and he was back to being a bust.

Now that he's in Laval and people get to watch him, he's a great prospect again. It's always fun when they put points on the board, but even without the points, you see how good Mesar is.

It's almost like when you watch the games, you appreciate the player. And when you stat watch, you don't get the full story of their game. And with Mesar, it's been like that to a higher degree than most other prospects.

And the experts around here made fun of him and questioned his integrity when they heard him critisize his kitchener teammates who were below him skill wise.

And now you see Pinelli 98 pts in the ohl is 0 -0-0 in 3 gp in his second AHL year

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

You just summarized the plot of "Trouble with the curve" with Clint Eastwood :)

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And the experts around here made fun of him and questioned his integrity when they heard him critisize his kitchener teammates who were below him skill wise.

And now you see Pinelli 98 pts in the ohl is 0 -0-0 in 3 gp in his second AHL year

We've seen it countless times that success at the junior level doesn't equal success at the pro level. It depends on if you have pro-level qualities in your game. I haven't watched Pinelli or Brustewicz or Arcuri (who played ECHL last year) or Sop (who started in the ECHL this year). So I don't know what their games are like.

But Mesar seems to play a pro-level type of hockey. And having played pro hockey in Slovakia could be a big reason why. And maybe that wasn't as in sync with his Kitchener teammates, who probably played a more Junior-level hockey.

I said it multiple times last year and I'll say it again now, I though Mesar was ready for AHL last season. I understand why they sent him back to Kitchener. Laval had an over abundance of forwards last year. They had like 15 forwards to start the year and had like 3 healthy scratches initially. And within 2 weeks, injuries and call ups had them quickly down to 12 forwards. So instead of being caught in the forwards carousel with the Rocket, they sent him back to Junior.

He did have 1 assist in 2 GP in Laval last year before being sent down. So in his AHL career, he has 6 pts in 6 GP.

Don't think Adam Michaels is a cute as Amy Adams though. :sarcasm:

We're both Adams. So there's that. ;)

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
But Mesar seems to play a pro-level type of hockey. And having played pro hockey in Slovakia could be a big reason why. And maybe that wasn't as in sync with his Kitchener teammates, who probably played a more Junior-level hockey.

That was the reason... also he was kind of inactive without the puck so it looked like he din't care when he just dint know what to do and clearly they dint know in Kitchener either

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
You know, it could also be that Vincent understands how to coach him
He wouldn't have gotten the same opportunity with Houle, that's for sure. Now, he gets to play with Beck and Davidson, and they complement each other well. That helps a young player who's not superstar material...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I watched him A LOT during his tenure in Kitchener. During the 2022-23 season the entire organization was a gong show. And last year at times you could see his line wasn't always on the same page, And that wasn't entirely Mesar's fault.

And I don't think anyone should pay any mind for his comment. All he said was that he would try to find his teammates and they didn't connect with the pass. Sure that could mean that his teammates weren't keeping up with him (which is actually pretty true some of the time), but it could've also meant that he was passing too early and too eagerly. Or it was misinterpreted entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad