Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Scoring chances need to be scored on occasionally or they are not really scoring chances. The league regularly has skilled players zooming around with all sorts of promise but never delivering. They don't last long because it soon becomes apparent that it leads nowhere.
You're literally making up your own definition of a scoring chance.

But again, if Mesar plays the entire game in the offensive zone, preventing the other teams lines from exiting that zone, that is not valuable? Ok, thanks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not because of his skill??

Have you seen Beck skate, shoot and check?

I said he would make the NHL because of how he plays, he does all the little things right, he plays the game the right way meaning he's the kind of player you win games with. His checking game isn't going to get him to the NHL alone as I don't even think it's that impressive. His shot is good but still needs work, i've seen him miss too many open nets to think his shot is something that would get him to the NHL alone.

I'm having a bit of trouble with this. Isn't skating and shooting a skill. From what I saw in the first two games, Beck and Tuch were Laval's best skaters. And I would give Beck the edge because he has an element of quickness that is superior to Tuch's. Beck already has an NHL level shot, plus the ability to use it off the rush, a 'skill' that he used against Springfield and almost scored while penalty killing. His offensive vision and play making has already been acknowledged by Laval's coaching staff by placing him on the first power play unit. I'm trying to understand what skills he is lacking and which can't be developed with more playing time in Laval.

I think that this 20 year old has taken a quantum leap in his development and it shows dramatically in his play and the responsibilities that the coaching staff has entrusted him with.

This kid is no mere bottom six player. And if because of depth issues in Montreal, he is forced to play that role, this team is in great shape going forward.

He has a good shot but to me it still needs a lot of work on accuracy, do you think he would make the NHL just based off his shot? Do you expect him to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL?

I don't think he looked NHL ready last year or so far this year, he still needs a good bit of work if he's to be more then a 4th liner imo.

For the people who are impatiently waiting to bust Beck and celebrate the failure of KH with a bottle of 100 years old wine it's important to not forget Philip Danault did 26 points in 72 games in his first AHL season. Hockey IQ can cover for many flaws in a player.

what does Danault have to do with Beck?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They are both player whose main quality is to know how to play hockey. They are not high end talent.

they both aren't high end talents but what does what one player going through matter to another? What does looking at Danault mean for Beck's development? Just because they have are both centers and lack high end talent but what does that mean for Beck's development vs what happened with Danault?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
He may develop a game that will lend itself to a 200' game and be effective on a 3rd or fourth line but that would be a stretch for him I think. Can he force his way onto the Habs top 6, with Ded's coming over it will be crowded there the next few years. Mesar, Hage, Beck, Newhook and maybe someone else, one spot that I can see. Be interesting to see what he can make of himself.

You're putting too much value into Newhook, Mesar's upside is infinitly better. Allow Hage to deveop first and then we'll see. Beck does not have Mesar's offensive talent.

Dach, hasn't played a full season season yet where he's healthy

Laine, question mark question mark question mark

PP is trash and Mesar is really good on the PP

This is the current top 6 he'll be fighting for a spot?

He'll be ok

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You're putting too much value into Newhook, Mesar's upside is infinitly better. Allow Hage to deveop first and then we'll see. Beck does not have Mesar's offensive talent.

He'll be ok

I love your optimism on this player.

• Love
Reactions: Bombshell11

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
they both aren't high end talents but what does what one player going through matter to another? What does looking at Danault mean for Beck's development? Just because they have are both centers and lack high end talent but what does that mean for Beck's development vs what happened with Danault?
It means nothing outside of Beck not producing in the AHL at 20 means nothing ... that's the whole point it means nothing. You would expect Demidov to torch the AHL day 1. Beck was always going to be a guy who would take time. Same for Mesar. Discussing production at this point is pointless.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He'll be ok

I hope Mesar busts his ass off and proves the doubters wrong. Always cheering for good stories like this but not going to hold my breath.

If Mesar cares and has the will power to improve his flaws... there is no shortage of development coaches to help him get there. Ice time in Laval is wide open for him to take.

Stay hungry and show up each shift. Learn from mistakes.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I said he would make the NHL because of how he plays, he does all the little things right, he plays the game the right way meaning he's the kind of player you win games with. His checking game isn't going to get him to the NHL alone as I don't even think it's that impressive. His shot is good but still needs work, i've seen him miss too many open nets to think his shot is something that would get him to the NHL alone
Doing the little things and playing the right way won’t get him to the NHL alone.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It means nothing outside of Beck not producing in the AHL at 20 means nothing ... that's the whole point it means nothing. You would expect Demidov to torch the AHL day 1. Beck was always going to be a guy who would take time. Same for Mesar. Discussing production at this point is pointless.

Plekanec is one example of someone who was not expected to produce offensively but he ended up with a few 60+ seasons.

How does Beck's production look against Pleky's (pre NHL)?

Doing the little things and playing the right way won’t get him to the NHL alone.

I agree with this. That is one layer to get trust from the coach but the next test is producing offense. If someone like Mesar doesn't produce offense, there are 5-10 others who also don't produce offense but are strong in the 200' game.

Reactions: LaP

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You're literally making up your own definition of a scoring chance.

But again, if Mesar plays the entire game in the offensive zone, preventing the other teams lines from exiting that zone, that is not valuable? Ok, thanks.
That is a pretty big if.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad