Rumor: Filip Forsberg being actively shopped

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I love this line of thinking, but so rare for a pending UFA to get traded and then wind up back with that trading team.

Also I'd expect that any team offering a 1st and a A prospect would want an extension signed as part of the deal - Like Vegas did a few years back giving up Brannstrom to get Stone.

I think Forsberg is good enough to get that kind of return as a rental. This is silly season and a bunch of contenders will view Forsberg as a piece that puts them over the top.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Looks like this was a storm in a teacup.

However, if the Weber recapture hits, Preds are in a tight spot with cap. You'd expect they are keeping this in mind when they plan the salary budget for the near future. At worst it could result in not being able to accommodate a raise for a star like Forsberg. But then again, maybe the prime age core is exactly where they won't be directing any cuts.

Anyway it's not looking so good regarding Weber. On LTIR now, low actual salary ahead, likely not much motivation to keep going having already earned a fortune. At least an iffy situation for Preds for sure.

Is there a chance they get some kind of amnesty in the next CBA negotiations (or whatever) and avoid the recapture pitfall after all...?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Looks like this was a storm in a teacup.

However, if the Weber recapture hits, Preds are in a tight spot with cap. You'd expect they are keeping this in mind when they plan the salary budget for the near future. At worst it could result in not being able to accommodate a raise for a star like Forsberg. But then again, maybe the prime age core is exactly where they won't be directing any cuts.

Anyway it's not looking so good regarding Weber. On LTIR now, low actual salary ahead, likely not much motivation to keep going having already earned a fortune. At least an iffy situation for Preds for sure.

Is there a chance they get some kind of amnesty in the next CBA negotiations (or whatever) and avoid the recapture pitfall after all...?
Poile has stated for years that he wasn't concerned with Weber's recapture at all. Why that is we can only guess, he's never really expounded on it. Whether that is because they are going to change the rule or Poile has had conversations with Betteman and he is going to use some kind of exception we don't know. All we know is he said it isn't an issue. :dunno:

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Poile has stated for years that he wasn't concerned with Weber's recapture at all. Why that is we can only guess, he's never really expounded on it. Whether that is because they are going to change the rule or Poile has had conversations with Betteman and he is going to use some kind of exception we don't know. All we know is he said it isn't an issue. :dunno:
I'd guess there is an exception/amnesty in the works. The penalty makes no sense anyway. A terrible sword of Damocles hanging on your club for not really anyone doing any mischief on purpose. Better left behind as water under the bridge. Hope Poile is right about it.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Weber is not going to retire anyway, so it's moot.

Yeah beyond the fact that he'd be leaving money on the table when all he has to do is go get a physical once a year, him showing up for Pekka last night and being one of the few former players on the stage should put to rest any idea that he would straight up retire and screw our team. Clearly he doesn't hate our franchise which would be the only real reason to do something like that.

Jan 21, 2018
Bergevin is not Poile.

Montreal media is not Nashville media.

Sigh…are we really doing this?

Predators GM Poile: 'We're not trading Shea Weber, we've told that to everybody'

Well hockey fans: stop your speculating, the Predators captain is a Nashvillian to stay according to Predators general manager Dave Poile. "We’re not trading Shea, we’ve told that to everybody, people ask and it’s their right to ask, but we’re not trading him," Poile told ESPN's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.

What’s your excuse now? I’d love to hear it, take as much time as you need.

Jan 21, 2018
LOL your original stance changed from this:

Bergevin is not Poile.

Montreal media is not Nashville media.

To this:

That article is from 2012 we traded Shea in 2016. A lot had changed between then

What changed since then? Did Poile announce he would stop lying to the media after he traded Weber, I must have missed that.

Can you please share a source to back up your statements? I’d love to read what has changed recently to make you 100% certain that the Forsberg rumors are not true.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

To this:

What changed since then? Did Poile announce he would stop lying to the media after he traded Weber, I must have missed that.

Can you please share a source to back up your statements? I’d love to read what has changed recently to make you 100% certain that the Forsberg rumors are not true.
So you think Poile, in 2012, was lying in his commitment to not trade Weber rather than circumstances having changed in 4 years for him to re-evaluate his position in 2016? That's drastically different than changing his position from a statement he made 1 day ago.

Strange "hill to die on" you've chosen here.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Strange "hill to die on" you've chosen here.

There's a few fans who are in denial because they really want to believe that their team has a chance to trade for Forsberg, so they'll jump through hoops to convince themselves that it's possible. I get it, but they just don't understand that David Poile is a different breed and not your typical GM who comes and goes every 5 years.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

To this:

Ugh. You’re blatantly being an a**. But since you want an explanation I’ll go ahead and give it to you. In 2012 David Poile was asked if he would trade Shea Weber and the answer was no because Barry Trotz was the coach in 2012 and Shea Weber fit Barry Trotzs system. In 2016 his coach was Peter Laviolette and PK Subban fit his system a lot better than Shea Weber did so poile made the trade. the answer to your question David Poile wasn’t trying to trade Shea Weber in 2012 like he said but in 2016 an opportunity came along that helped his new coach get a player to fit his system so David Poile made the trade to trade Shea Weber for PK Subban. You see gms do work with their coach to get the players that work best with their system

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Ugh. You’re blatantly being an a**. But since you want an explanation I’ll go ahead and give it to you. In 2012 David Poile was asked if he would trade Shea Weber and the answer was no because Barry Trotz was the coach in 2012 and Shea Weber fit Barry Trotzs system. In 2016 his coach was Peter Laviolette and PK Subban fit his system a lot better than Shea Weber did so poile made the trade. the answer to your question David Poile wasn’t trying to trade Shea Weber in 2012 like he said but in 2016 an opportunity came along that helped his new coach get a player to fit his system so David Poile made the trade to trade Shea Weber for PK Subban. You see gms do work with their coach to get the players that work best with their system
Yeah, maybe we were a little hasty in judging Weber on his abysmal playoff performance in 2016, but it did suggest that Weber's mobility had become an issue. And his health and mobility definitely did turn out to be problematic. Although we got two fantastic seasons out of Subban, it's unfortunate that Poile didn't have the crystal ball to realize that Subban would also get sidelined by a deteriorating body.

So anyway, for sure Things Changed between 2012 and 2016. A LOT.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky

To this:

Change in coaching staff, Weber’s Health and decline in play, change in prospect pool.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad