Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
With most of the sports-people worrying about the increasing amount of head injuries in the game it's quite baffling that bare-knuckle fighting on ice in a ball game is still supported by the conservative hockey fan base. It's just stupid macho shit and it does not have a place in modern hockey. Taking them out of the game reduces head-injuries without changing the game in any meaningful way. Just watched the Oilers-game and what a pointless and dangerous looking injury Kassian suffered as a result of that fight.

And you can do it step-by-step. In Finland for a long time there's an automatic 1 game suspension if you fight and that only makes fight very rare. Make it 3 games and fighting virtually stops.

And yeah yeah, world's gone soft and all that but this is hockey with enough toughness and injuries even as it is. I used to think that fights were okay (never was a fan of that aspect of the game TBH) but with all the evidence about the brain damages and even lost lives of NHL-fighters I've come to think otherwise. Would it really be that bad if fighting was banned?

Pretty clear your not really a hockey fan calling it a ball game.

Fighting is part of the game....

Fighting isn't even the real issue anyways. it's when a player falls down and hits his head on the ice.

So whats the difference between it happening after a major hit or the odd time a guy falls and hits his head after a fight?

Might as well just cancel the entire sport at this point so we can't hurt players feelings moving forward

Players are lucky they kinda moved away from fighting already. allows the rats to consistently abuse players and rarely see any repercussions.

Basically a reason Crosby had so many injuries.

I say bring fighting back full force to protect our stars....

The stars we pay to watch....

Not freaking Zack Kassian

I'm sorry I dont mean to sound like a bad person but I dont give 2 shits about what has happened to Kassian.

He's just an average player and will hardly be missed when he retires.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Fighting isn't even the real issue anyways. it's when a player falls down and hits his head on the ice.

Which is because of a weird moral code of taking your helmet off or your opponent taking it off during a fight, players are getting into situations where they are prone to getting seriously hurt and actually remove protection because of the rules of a mini-game inside the sport. It is such a dumb thing that the NHL has to try to steer the players towards a safer way to do this. I actually think there should be an automatic suspension if you get into a fight and remove someones helmet.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Which is because of a weird moral code of taking your helmet off during a fight, players are getting into situations where they are prone to getting seriously hurt and actually remove protection because of the rules of a mini-game inside the sport.
injuries have been happening where a player hits his head after falling in a fight long before they were forced to take their helmets off.

Fighting is hardly the issue.

Truth is hockey is a dangerous sport. played at extremely high speeds by men who are very very strong. and unfortunate things happen.

has ended careers. and taking fighting out of the sport isn't going to fix that.

I guess no hitting will do the trick but at that point whats the point in even watching anymore?

These players get paid the big bucks. let them put their bodies on the line.

Reactions: vandymeer13

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
With most of the sports-people worrying about the increasing amount of head injuries in the game it's quite baffling that bare-knuckle fighting on ice in a ball game is still supported by the conservative hockey fan base. It's just stupid macho shit and it does not have a place in modern hockey. Taking them out of the game reduces head-injuries without changing the game in any meaningful way. Just watched the Oilers-game and what a pointless and dangerous looking injury Kassian suffered as a result of that fight.

And you can do it step-by-step. In Finland for a long time there's an automatic 1 game suspension if you fight and that only makes fight very rare. Make it 3 games and fighting virtually stops.

And yeah yeah, world's gone soft and all that but this is hockey with enough toughness and injuries even as it is. I used to think that fights were okay (never was a fan of that aspect of the game TBH) but with all the evidence about the brain damages and even lost lives of NHL-fighters I've come to think otherwise. Would it really be that bad if fighting was banned?

A case of to hard ice, I see. Perhaps some kind of rubber padding on it should do the trick.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I used to get « excited » when fight happens. But now I just find it stupid.
well, nearly 100% of game attendees don’t understand you. The whole arena in 32 different locations stands up for fights and drops their jaws to big hits. It’s part of the game, which is why the players all do the same.

Neanderthals, lol.

Fans do stand up when there’s fight. But on the other hand, most of them wouldn’t really care if there was no fights anymore.

Fights in hockey will go. When? I don’t know. 5, 10 or even 50 years? It’s just a matter of time.

So just make it go ASAP before a player die on the ice after a fight.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Look it's never going to happen fighting has been part of the game, literally since day 1, ever sense the NHL started and it's going anywhere because fans like it, and players seem to like it.

and before you say "I'm a fan I don't like it." you are you, you are 1 person you are not the majority.

Like me ask you do you like MMA or Boxing?? because if you do You're a hypocrite you can't be OK with fighting in sport and not OK with it in another.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Like me ask you do you like MMA or Boxing?? because if you do You're a hypocrite you can't be OK with fighting in sport and not OK with it in another.

I do like boxing. It's a sport designed over the fighting aspect. It's not bare-knuckle-fighting even there much less a trivial part of the sport like it is with ice hockey where fighting isn't in the center of things anyway. Hockey is much closer to games like soccer, floorball, basketball etc., there's absolutely no need for fighting.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
If these dumb fights weren't part of the game then situations like this wouldn't happen.

I don't mind a bout in the heat of the moment, during a scrum. But faceoff staged fights are so stupid and I sigh every time I see one. Boring and dumb meathead grandstanding.

Reactions: zeeto and MardyBum

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I used to get « excited » when fight happens. But now I just find it stupid.

Fans do stand up when there’s fight. But on the other hand, most of them wouldn’t really care if there was no fights anymore.

Fights in hockey will go. When? I don’t know. 5, 10 or even 50 years? It’s just a matter of time.

So just make it go ASAP before a player die on the ice after a fight.

no they won’t. There will still be fights, same as literally every sport. Game has been around for over a hundred years, but there may some day maybe be a death.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Only thing that bother me is fighting after good clean hard hits or that rediculous Foligno-Perry after the accident, that's garbage.

Reactions: Ray Mercer

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Those who don’t like fighting, get up and grab a snack while it’s in process, but I bet you watch every single blow anyways.
Then you post anti fighting drivel.
You know you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad