GDT: Feeling a little Blue this Saturday over the back to back. One last time on Bally

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
They have had 7 games where they outshoot an opponent by 13 or more over the last 2 years and lose in regulation. I’m too lazy to look up the rest of the league. Is that a lot? Probably, but the Canes outshoot the opponent 80% of the time so they are way more likely to have games like this. Also because they spend less than $6 million on goaltending while good starters are getting $8.5 mil themselves. This is going to happen sometimes.

Just 7 in 2 years? I feel like every loss is them out-shooting the opposition by a ridiculous margin. I'm probably overreacting buy, damn it's annoying.

Onto the next one.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
They have had 7 games where they outshoot an opponent by 13 or more over the last 2 years and lose in regulation. I’m too lazy to look up the rest of the league. Is that a lot? Probably, but the Canes outshoot the opponent 80% of the time so they are way more likely to have games like this. Also because they spend less than $6 million on goaltending while good starters are getting $8.5 mil themselves. This is going to happen sometimes.
OTH, we wouldn’t get that many shots (Roster would suffer) if we paid big bucks for goaltending.

Frustrating loss

Reactions: Tryamw

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
OTH, we wouldn’t get that many shots (Roster would suffer) if we paid big bucks for goaltending.

Frustrating loss
Oh exactly - it’s planned for. There will be frustrating losses. But barring crazy bad luck, you win more than you lose.

Just 7 in 2 years? I feel like every loss is them out-shooting the opposition by a ridiculous margin. I'm probably overreacting buy, damn it's annoying.

Onto the next one.
I think there are probably a bunch where they dominate early and then it becomes closer by the end because I understand the feeling.

There are a few wild ones though where they outshot teams by 30+ and lost in regulation.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Just watched the game, ooof that's a tough watch. Defense limited chances but have up way too many Grade A chances. Offense was again quantity >>> quality. Hard to blame Kooch too much for most of the goals, but still 4 goals on 5 shots is awful

Not sure which was worse, our 2nd period or the shit refs? Phantom call on Walker, and how many dangerous and egregious calls missed just in the 3rd? ...boarding, slew foot, can-opener trip, several cross-checks, bullshit after the final whistle...f***ing horrendous

Can't play a full period like dog shit though or you get what you earn

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Onto the next one.
I think it feels that way because Carolina almost always outshoots opponents. It's how they play which is why it's not annoying to me, because it is an intentional strategy. Put a lot of shots and net and limit opposing team's chances is what they do. Score effects (a winning team goes into prevent defense mode so the losing team gets more shots while behind) also come into play.

TLDR summary: We out shoot our opponents almost all the time so not surprising when we have losses when outshooting opponents. Details follow.

To put it in perspective, over the past 3 seasons and this season (250 games):
  • Canes have the best Shot Difference / Game Played in the NHL at 7.5. Next closest is Florida at 5.8, then Calgary at 5.4.
  • Canes 5v5 CF% is highest in the NHL at 58.75%. the next closest team (FLA) is a full 3% lower.
  • Canes have the most wins when outshooting opponents with 121. Next closest if Florida with 107 and Colorado at 106.
  • Canes have 8th most losses when outshooting opponents with 53. Not surprising, Florida and Calgary (who are 2nd and 3rd in SD/GP) have more and have the 2nd and 4th most losses when outshooting opponents. Canes also have 10 OTL when outshooting opponents which is 21st in # OTLs.
  • Canes have the FEWEST losses (and 30th most wins) when outshot by opponents. Only 34 wins and 8 losses in 250 games. Florida is next with 19 losses. Not surprising because Carolina doesn't get outshot much and many times if they are, it's because of score effects.
So in those 250 games:
184 games (74%) the Canes have outshot opponents and were 121-53-10
53 games (21%) where the Canes were outshot and were 34-8-11
13 games (5%) where the Canes were even in shots and were 5-5-3

Conversely, STL has the most wins when being outshot by opponents with 79. They are 79-54-19 when being outshot, but they are outshot a lot as they only outshot opponents 36% of the 250 games over the past 3 seasons and their 5v5 CF% ranks 26th in the NHL.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I'll say it again. While we did lose this one in our own end, We should have had two seperate 5 on 3's and at least another pp.

FIVE clearly open missed calls, and not ticky tack ones, can openers, tips, boards, eetc.. NHL officals can simply no longer be trusted with the game. Pace be damned. At the cost of whatever, make EVERY missed call reviewable and make refs financially accountable. Or give the entire game to AI.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well it was entertaining at least. Good comeback.

I watched our broadcast and right on cue heard Tripp suggest blame to Necas that wasn’t remotely Necas’ fault on the game winner. A puck he never possessed quickly bounced through his space. It would never have occurred to me to blame anyone in that situation. It was a good bounce for Stl and he had two defenseman behind him. I winced.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well it was entertaining at least. Good comeback.

I watched our broadcast and right on cue heard Tripp suggest blame to Necas that wasn’t remotely Necas’ fault on the game winner. A puck he never possessed quickly bounced through his space. It would never have occurred to me to blame anyone in that situation. It was a good bounce for Stl and he had two defenseman behind him. I winced.

He wasn't to blame, but it was obvious how that play played out, both defensemen were expecting him to stop that puck. He didn't, so Burns was caught flat-footed. Kyrou wasn't even skating that fast (comparatively), but he was skating while Necas and Burns were not.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He wasn't to blame, but it was obvious how that play played out, both defensemen were expecting him to stop that puck. He didn't, so Burns was caught flat-footed. Kyrou wasn't even skating that fast (comparatively), but he was skating while Necas and Burns were not.
There’s absolutely no reason for either of them to think he was stopping that puck. Burns was facing the wrong way (not really his fault either) and couldn’t recover. There was no reason for Necas to be going anywhere in that moment. It was a stretch pass that took a funny hop. Bounces happen. There isn’t always someone to blame. I feel there would have to be a bit of a bias to look at that play and see an error on Necas.

hblueridgegal

We'll bounce back
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
There’s absolutely no reason for either of them to think he was stopping that puck. Burns was facing the wrong way (not really his fault either) and couldn’t recover. There was no reason for Necas to be going anywhere in that moment. It was a stretch pass that took a funny hop. Bounces happen. There isn’t always someone to blame. I feel there would have to be a bit of a bias to look at that play and see an error on Necas.
Wonder where the talking points are coming from...above?

He seems to be Burns PR mouthpiece...he puts in the work for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad