GDT: February 2nd 2014 Game of Canadiens vs Jets @ 1 PM on CBC,RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Man that report on Jonathan Toews was awesome. What a player and what a great person.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
What I've noticed is that a lot of fans are crying over the size of guys like Briere and Gionta, but as the season goes on, I hear more and more complaints of Briere not getting enough icetime.

A sign that we as a fanbase are clearly Pejorative Slured.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
What I've noticed is that a lot of fans are crying over the size of guys like Briere and Gionta, but as the season goes on, I hear more and more complaints of Briere not getting enough icetime.

Its called being a fefan.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No need to be voluntarily short sighted.

All I'm saying is that our PP flow has been terrible the last two months. We were having issues distributing the puck around and barely got any, if any, scoring chances out of them. Now we got some good money out of it, hell, our wingers even got some shots in, can you believe it?

The idea is that in the end, no matter how the PP would look, if they would produce, we wouldn't care about it. All great to be looking good at it, it still needs to be in the net from time to time.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

Its obviously not the same people. Different people have different opinions.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Well, an even bigger problem is that we don't have much game breaking offensive talent, especially on the wings, and the talent we do have is misused by the coaching staff who thinks this is still the 90's.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
So that was a penalty, how many times did the Jets do the same thing in first against Habs.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004

Now we're getting somewhere.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Actually, if you look at most of us who obsess with possession, the players we tend to love the most happen to have size. On this team, Eller and Pacioretty, and there's a reason the 2-way Cs who are clearly better than Plekanec are all bigger except Datsyuk - Bergeron, Kopitar, etc.

So yes, size plays a very big part of the equation, it's the reason Desharnais is not a very good neutral zone puck possessor and Eller is, it's the reason guys like Chara and Weber are as good as they are.
Then we agree.
But it's also a myth that the Habs struggle against size and size alone. Once again, look at how we frustrate Boston. Of course we struggle heavily against the massive Blues and Kings, but do you really think average height is the number one reason for that?
I think height and size has a lot to do with it.

Boston may not be as fast as we are. Maybe they can't keep up. I'm not sure why it is we always kill the Bruins. But the Sharks, Blues, Kings... they CAN skate with us and they're a hell of a lot bigger. Yes, size weighs very heavily there. (No pun intended.)

There's a reason I value Eller more than Desharnais, and it's not because Eller is better offensively. I do understand this team needs to get bigger, I just think the idea that there is a direct correlation between average size and team quality is ridiculous. It leads to brilliant moves like replacing Cammalleri with Rene Bourque.
Does anyone believe this though?

I read people saying that we need to get bigger and then I read other posters questioning why we're so obsessed with size. The answer (in my opinion) is fairly obvious. It's a weakness that we have to address. If we were an average or bigger sized team then you'd hear people talk about some other weakness but for us it's a lack of size that's hurting us.

Not the be all and end all, but man we could use some bigger players on this squad. And no, I'm not talking about Bourque instead of Cammy. That was just flat out dumb.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
It's a bit more complicated than that. Small players have a lower center of gravity and are usually more agile - for instance even on this team, guys like Pacioretty and Eller might be better skaters than Desharnais, but still need more room to manuver.

Look at how Desharnais and Plekanec regularly make Chara look bad.

Of course having a top 6 filled with small players isn't at all ideal, it's no coincidence that the best puck possessors on this team are big bodies or at least very strong - Subban, Pacioretty, and Eller. But saying big>small leads to mistakes like assuming Murray can play hockey.

Agree with most of this. Also worth considering is that speed for example is variable, a given player can skate slower or he can skate faster. Whereas size is fixed, a player can't get increase his mass.

And Gio/DD aren't a particularly fast, agile skaters -- IMO Gallagher has much more "small guy hustle" than either of them, maybe because he's young and fearless

HABS win CUPS*

Briere needs more icetime and better linemates at least give him a real shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad