Favourite Simpsons Moments

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
462144.jpg

Reactions: G F O P and ncm7772

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
'Simpsons' Creator Matt Groening on Apu Controversy: 'People Love to Pretend They’re Offended'

“Bart said he was ‘an underachiever and proud of it, man,’” said Groening. “Simpsons t-shirts were banned in grade schools. I felt that the controversy at the beginning of the show was, again, people pretending to be offended by Bart’s very mild sassiness. I knew it would blow over.” Of course, the overly sensitive reaction to a cartoon character that dislikes school and likes to use a slingshot was, let’s say, completely unnecessary. The same cannot entirely be said about his stance on the ever-brewing Apu controversy, as there are far more nuanced complexities to the matter.

When asked if he considered Apu’s portrayal an insensitive stereotype, he staunchly disagreed. “Not really,” he said. “I’m proud of what we do on the show. And I think it’s a time in our culture where people love to pretend they’re offended.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad