• Andrei Markov

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Alexei Kovalev

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Markov.

Thought about Kovy too, but it's Markov.

He still got both nationality

View attachment 897336
He was born in Belarus, plays for their national team, lived there, and AFAIK Russia doesn't recognize dual nationals.

EDIT: Looks like they do recognize is there is an agreement, and I'm sure Belarus has one. Still, he's Belarusian.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy and HabsQC

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

Watching highlights of Radulov's lone season here and man do I wish we got more of that. He was such a force.

Yeah he was great. A skilled whirling dervish with a non-stop motor. He absolutely loved scoring goals.

Coincidently two of the things that pissed me off the most about Bergevin was his handling of both the Russians in Markov and Radulov.

1. Markov
2. Kovalev
3. Radulov

Had a soft spot for Emelin as well if only for his physicality, thunderous hits, and personal rivalry with Lucic.

Reactions: donghabs98

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Malakhov.

In the almost 70 years that I have followed this fabled franchise the two most talented players that I ever watched play for the Canadiens were Malakhov and Richer. They weren't the two best players, but in this writer's opinion, they were the most pure talented players and would have starred in any era. One can't say that about many of my old heroes.
In your opinion, what held Malakhov back. I watched games where he just seemed to be the most dominate player on the ice. While other times, I questioned whether his head was in the game at all.

Ivan Demidov

Alexander Avtsin
Ugh thanks for the reminder. I still owe @WeThreeKings an ass kicking for talking me into drafting him lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Only one choice- Andrei Markov.
Marc Bergevin made alot of mistakes over his tenure but the way he handled Andrei Markov is easily his biggest. Andrei Markov played 990 games for this team and deserved so much more respect than what he got in the end. I know it's a business but that was wrong.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

Watching highlights of Radulov's lone season here and man do I wish we got more of that. He was such a force.

This team was pretty good.. Radulov, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Danault, Byron, 24 yo Gallagher + Galchenyuk before we knew he is a bust. Weber, Markov and Petry. Price. You have a bit of everything in there. I was so pissed when Radulov left in the summer and Markov was not re-signed. Worst summer by a Montreal GM in this situation. Destroyed a team that had the potential to be really good. I am not a MB basher, but I believe this is the summer the MB bashers were born.

The Drouin for Sergachev deal was bad as well, but it wasn't foreseeable just how bad it would be. I personally didn't like how little cap space that deal left to sign Radu and Markov. I guess MB knew he wasn't signing any of them. I also didn't like how entitled Drouin has been in TB and thought it didn't guarantee any kind of success. I sadly was too right in this case. Drouin didn't display poor attitude in Montreal, but he showed a weak character that is not his fault, but a burden he has to carry. It stopped him from having any real success on this team.

Boy what a terrible summer.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In your opinion, what held Malakhov back. I watched games where he just seemed to be the most dominate player on the ice. While other times, I questioned whether his head was in the game at all.

Ugh thanks for the reminder. I still owe @WeThreeKings an ass kicking for talking me into drafting him lol

Don't blame me, blame the Habs for bringing him to the AHL at 19 and Lefebvre being an asshole to him

Reactions: Habs10Habs

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Shouldn’t this be a poll? Lol

Anyway, it’s Markov and it’s not even close. If you don’t say Markov, you’re not a Habs fan.

I also quite enjoyed the Kovalev era, he’s my #2.

Reactions: barbu

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
This team was pretty good.. Radulov, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Danault, Byron, 24 yo Gallagher + Galchenyuk before we knew he is a bust. Weber, Markov and Petry. Price. You have a bit of everything in there. I was so pissed when Radulov left in the summer and Markov was not re-signed. Worst summer by a Montreal GM in this situation. Destroyed a team that had the potential to be really good. I am not a MB basher, but I believe this is the summer the MB bashers were born.

The Drouin for Sergachev deal was bad as well, but it wasn't foreseeable just how bad it would be. I personally didn't like how little cap space that deal left to sign Radu and Markov. I guess MB knew he wasn't signing any of them. I also didn't like how entitled Drouin has been in TB and thought it didn't guarantee any kind of success. I sadly was too right in this case. Drouin didn't display poor attitude in Montreal, but he showed a weak character that is not his fault, but a burden he has to carry. It stopped him from having any real success on this team.

I actually wasn't against the trade at the time. Sure we were giving up Markov's future replacement. But I thought we'd be adding Drouin, while keeping both Markov and Radulov.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Don't blame me, blame the Habs for bringing him to the AHL at 19 and Lefebvre being an asshole to him
This is 💯 % spot on. They appeared to have found a gem in the 4th round and mismanaged him every step of the way. I remember watching him going...wow that kid is skilled only to watch Lefebvre inexplicably scratch him over and over. A real shame.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Malakhov simply didn't care much about the Habs. He wanted to get out. His final season and gestures towards the fans were signals to upper management to just send him packing. Roy had started a trend. Many others including Recchi and Savage followed suit.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

MB should have been canned. This is the year were Alzner was signed to a horrendous deal and Schlemko was acquired. Even Streit was re-signed to play 2 games..lol. The BargainBin completely dismantled the LD.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
MB should have been canned. This is the year were Alzner was signed to a horrendous deal and Schlemko was acquired. Even Streit was re-signed to play 2 games..lol. The BargainBin completely dismantled the LD.
Oh boy, I forgot that. Talk about scrambling without a plan.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
From the neck down, Malakhov was Hall of Fame level. From neck up he was considerably less so.

What many forget is the important role Malakhov played in Montreal’s last Stanley Cup victory. Malakhov was a key player in the Islanders’ improbable upset of the then heavily favoured Pittsburgh Penguins. That upset open the door for Montreal’s Stanley Cup win. Montreal’s then General Manager, Serge Savard, took notice of Malakhov’s immense talent/ potential and traded for him the first chance he became available.

Malakhov was one of those rare players who could be the best player on the ice any time he wanted to. Regrettably for Malakhov and the teams he teams he played for, that ‘want to’ was all too often absent.

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
No love for Perezhogin?
No.

From the neck down, Malakhov was Hall of Fame level. From neck up he was considerably less so.

What many forget is the important role Malakhov played in Montreal’s last Stanley Cup victory. Malakhov was a key player in the Islanders’ improbable upset of the then heavily favoured Pittsburgh Penguins. That upset open the door for Montreal’s Stanley Cup win. Montreal’s then General Manager, Serge Savard, took notice of Malakhov’s immense talent/ potential and traded for him the first chance he became available.

Malakhov was one of those rare players who could be the best player on the ice any time he wanted to. Regrettably for Malakhov and the teams he teams he played for, that ‘want to’ was all too often absent.
He wasn't exactly gifted with the highest hockey IQ either. He wasn't a dumb player, but the brain never came close to the other gifts he had.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
On topic...
- Markov
- Kovalev
- Petrov
- Radulov (really close call with Petrov, longevity prevailed in the end)

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad