Child Prodigy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
People coming in here and raining on those that want to spend a hot minute talking about the next big talent is the definition of not minding your own business.

People were talking about Wayne when he was 10 (30 years before HF was born btw...). Is that so weird?

If you think it's too young, don't read.
Talking about them, sure.

Making a whole thread about them that tracks their career? A bit invasive don’t you think?

Making threads about 10-year-olds that had a good tournament at the Brick invitational is definitely in the weird category when these kids may be playing multiple sports. Imagine being 10, 11, or 12 and finding a bunch of grown men talking about you?

They’re also no Dustin Rose.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Making a whole thread about them that tracks their career? A bit invasive don’t you think?

Making threads about 10-year-olds that had a good tournament at the Brick invitational is definitely in the weird category when these kids may be playing multiple sports. Imagine being 10, 11, or 12 and finding a bunch of grown men talking about you?

I mean when you are playing in the Brick invitational even at 10-11 the amount of money/time invested by parents in their kids is incredible ,like it or not its not like these are normal 10-11 year olds lol they are pretty priviledged kids who get to play hockey at the highest level of whatever age group they are , Its not like people are just pulling random 10 year olds out of a hat and stalking them lol

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

He kicked a polar bear's ass the other day and dragged a seal out of pack ice with his teeth.

Generational.

Reactions: Brew and DaveG

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

I think it is less talking about a child, more just talking about an athletic profile. It could go the realm of invasive and yeah, that's a fine line but I think when the topic surrounds the brick tournament and gets some traction once or twice a year it's within the boundaries of appropriate. It happens in a sport like golf way more than here.

Didn't Pavel Barber chime in on the Aito Iguchi thread way back when? It's just one instance but when the kids coach comes in and fans the flames you would think the attention is not unappreciated.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think it is less talking about a child, more just talking about an athletic profile. It could go the realm of invasive and yeah, that's a fine line but I think when the topic surrounds the brick tournament and gets some traction once or twice a year it's within the boundaries of appropriate. It happens in a sport like golf way more than here.

Didn't Pavel Barber chime in on the Aito Iguchi thread way back when? It's just one instance but when the kids coach comes in and fans the flames you would think the attention is not unappreciated.
Pavel Barber is a clown. That whole situation he had going on with Iguchi was disgusting. Hyping this kid up to no end and having everyone believe he was a legit future NHL star. Realistically would have been a run of the mill travel hockey player in North America. He used Iguchi, who was no more than 12 at the time, for his own clout. I’ve never had any respect for him since

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I mean when you are playing in the Brick invitational even at 10-11 the amount of money/time invested by parents in their kids is incredible ,like it or not its not like these are normal 10-11 year olds lol they are pretty priviledged kids who get to play hockey at the highest level of whatever age group they are , Its not like people are just pulling random 10 year olds out of a hat and stalking them lol

Bring them up here, sure. I was more against when a random poster started making profiles for all the kids in the Brick tournament.

Let’s fan the flames a little and let them develop first. While the parents have invested money, many of the players at this tournament also don't go on to play in the NHL. Privileged or not, how bout we start covering them with threads when they’re in an advanced league like the USHL, not squirts travel hockey.

I’ve got so many issues that someone else already listed with Barber.

Imagine a profile on that kid and the expectations set, then for him to fizzle out.

Kid may have never had that potential, but imagine the pressure of him not living up to what was to be expected.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Pavel Barber is a clown. That whole situation he had going on with Iguchi was disgusting. Hyping this kid up to no end and having everyone believe he was a legit future NHL star. Realistically would have been a run of the mill travel hockey player in North America. He used Iguchi, who was no more than 12 at the time, for his own clout. I’ve never had any respect for him since
I didn't interpret it that way back then or read the criticism but you're right.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Cole Eiserman has been talked about in MA for a few years now completely dominating. Most in the region have said he’s the best prospect since Eichel. He’s now at Shattuck on the u14 team dominating there as well. 28G 13A 41 pts in 14 games.
Drafted 20th overall by islanders. Now we wait.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Anything other than a name that you found on the internet?
Him and Cameron Coombe absolutely dominated the Brick Invitational last year, and set all-time scoring records for the tournament. Tep is pretty big for his age, but still, he was incredibly good and clearly the best player (other than Coombe, who probably about as good), in my opinion. At that age, it can be a bit of a one-man-show. I would expect both him and Coombe to be top prospects eventually, usually that's the case for the best players at the Brick tournament.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Isn’t Bédard somewhere in this thread?
Yep
05 connor bedard and 06 tomas mrsic. Both best players atm for their age coming out of western canada. they can score at will, but they play a team game because they know thats the only way they can get far. anytime their team is down a goal or 2 the coaches just lets them go end to end. Also Bedard was the tourny MVP at Bricks tourny in edmonton(meaning hes probably the best player for his age in Canada if not the US as well). they are both more hype than Barzal already.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Him and Cameron Coombe absolutely dominated the Brick Invitational last year, and set all-time scoring records for the tournament. Tep is pretty big for his age, but still, he was incredibly good and clearly the best player (other than Coombe, who probably about as good), in my opinion. At that age, it can be a bit of a one-man-show. I would expect both him and Coombe to be top prospects eventually, usually that's the case for the best players at the Brick tournament.
Sure that's fair but the Brick isn't exactly a predictor on future NHL stardom and the term child prodigy gets thrown out there rather loosely like generational at times.

I think we will know more on these 2 guys in 4 or 5 years time and it's not set in stone but the progress for each player should be very interesting to watch..

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Sure that's fair but the Brick isn't exactly a predictor on future NHL stardom and the term child prodigy gets thrown out there rather loosely like generational at times.

I think we will know more on these 2 guys in 4 or 5 years time and it's not set in stone but the progress for each player should be very interesting to watch..
Would be interesting to see stats on how many Brick MVP's went on to stardom. I would assume more than 50%??

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Would be interesting to see stats on how many Brick MVP's went on to stardom. I would assume more than 50%??
Well elite prospects have the all time seasons but most of the top point producers aren't even junior aged yet so it hard to sort out but it's not exactly predictive of what a child prodigy should become right?

Here are the last NHL drafts results from their Brick year.

the year before it was like this

So take it with a grain of salt as we really don't know how this years crop will do in 5 6 or 7 years on their draft day yet.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Well elite prospects have the all time seasons but most of the top point producers aren't even junior aged yet so it hard to sort out but it's not exactly predictive of what a child prodigy should become right?

My take is more about Brick MVP versus most points, although I agree with you that most points should have a huge bearing on future potential. I mention MVP vs points mainly with Dupont in mind who isn't even in the top 60 but was the offensive stud of his year.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria

Here are the last NHL drafts results from their Brick year.

the year before it was like this

So take it with a grain of salt as we really don't know how this years crop will do in 5 6 or 7 years on their draft day yet.
To be fair, the percentage of players getting drafted, and the quality of players getting drafted is insane. In 2014-15, 14/15 of the top scorers were drafted, 7 of which were 1st rounders, including 3 top 10 picks, 1 of whom was 1st OA.

After the 2025 draft, it's likely at least 12/15 of the top scorers in the 2015-16 year will be drafted, 6 of which will be 1st rounders, including 2 top 10 picks.

That being said, being the actual top point producer doesn't seem be too indicative of future success.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
My take is more about Brick MVP versus most points, although I agree with you that most points should have a huge bearing on future potential. I mention MVP vs points mainly with Dupont in mind who isn't even in the top 60 but was the offensive stud of his year.
That I don't know as when I googled it all I got back was 2 years.

To be fair, the percentage of players getting drafted, and the quality of players getting drafted is insane. In 2014-15, 14/15 of the top scorers were drafted, 7 of which were 1st rounders, including 3 top 10 picks, 1 of whom was 1st OA.

After the 2025 draft, it's likely at least 12/15 of the top scorers in the 2015-16 year will be drafted, 6 of which will be 1st rounders, including 2 top 10 picks.
Sure that's great but the whole idea of the thread title is just wrong as a child prodigy literally means

A child prodigy is a person under the age of ten who produces meaningful work in some domain at the level of an adult expert.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019

Based on the 671 total players in all-time scoring at the tourny during the 2003 to 2012 tournaments on eliteprospects, at least 99 players have played NHL games. That's just based on a quick spot check because I don't have EP pro and can't extract the data for formal analysis.

Also, number of players from the 2010, 2011, and 2012 tournaments on the scoring list are early-round draft pics that are still in their early 20s with a chance of playing an NHL game. That number of NHLers should grow by a notable amount in the next couple years.

Pre-2010 Brick Tournament records seem to be quite incomplete on EP, so the list probably could look a little different with a more comprehensive data set and analysis.

Majority of the kids in the EP all-time scoring list were drafted by NHL clubs and most played pro hockey (ECHL or better). At worst, playing in the Brick Tournament is a good predictor that your kid will have sufficient resources/training, natural athleticism, desire/will, and interest in the sport to at least have a shot of making the NHL.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
That I don't know as when I googled it all I got back was 2 years.

Sure that's great but the whole idea of the thread title is just wrong as a child prodigy literally means
Yeah, that's fair, I don't think it's really possible for a prodigy to be recognized in hockey under the age of 10. I think Gretzky was recognized at an extremely young age, but even he was 10 years old in that iconic photo with Gordie Howe. I don't think either McDavid or Crosby were recognized as prodigies before they were 10, but I could definitely be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad