OT: Favorite MLB team: Mariners or Blue Jays?

Who is your favorite baseball team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If the Jays secure the first spot in the wild card, all games will be in Toronto. Seattle looks like they’ll secure the second wild card spot which will have they play Cleveland. Jays look like they’ll play the Rays.

No...that's not how it works.

The top two wild card spots play each other. The third spot will play the division winner (Guardians).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Comparing the teams’ relative records completely misses the point as to why people like me cheer against the Blue Jays. It’s a separate issue from me being a Mariner fan (which stems from them being the local-ish team, going to their games regularly, getting them and their news on local TV, etc.) Hell, I liked the Expos…!

Toronto is Toronto… I also can’t stand the Raptors or TFC, and don’t like to feed their media machine so as to encourage them to do things like shutter Team 1040 for more centralized content out of Toronto. Canada is not a single market. I also don’t like the Toronto-ization of BC’s commercial landscape, thousands of miles away.

It has little to do with on-field performance, (and it’s not like this upcoming series could win me over or something). If it did I wouldn’t be a Canuck fan either…

I guess? While I'm not a big fan of Toronto influence I absolutely dislike American companies and properties taking hold even more. On a personal level, I have a much bigger connection to Toronto (some family I think) that I do anywhere in the United States.

The thing I dislike about Toronto is just the Maple Leafs and the concentrated push by all media outlets, that are obviously based in Toronto, to make them the most important hockey team at the expense of all other Canadian markets. Outside of that, I don't really care all that much.

Reactions: vancityluongo

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I picked up an authentic ichiro jersey for $20 a few weeks ago. Mint
His rookie season, the last time they made playoffs, and the year I graduated high school was one of my favourite seasons of sports fandom ever. They choked in the ALCS but that was as dominating a team as I recall. 116-46. Ichiro MVP.

I really wish the M’s could’ve avoided the Jays in the Wildcard round. Kinda hoping for Seattle to lose out and the Rays to move up.

Houston looks like a juggernaut anyways.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I guess? While I'm not a big fan of Toronto influence I absolutely dislike American companies and properties taking hold even more. On a personal level, I have a much bigger connection to Toronto (some family I think) that I do anywhere in the United States.

The thing I dislike about Toronto is just the Maple Leafs and the concentrated push by all media outlets, that are obviously based in Toronto, to make them the most important hockey team at the expense of all other Canadian markets. Outside of that, I don't really care all that much.
I mean that all makes sense... I didn't have family in Ontario growing up (much as I live here now), never set foot there until I was a teenager, and sort of grew up on both sides of the border. My mentality has always been regional... if Tully's coffee started showing up in BC from next door, for example, I'd see that as a natural extension of their home base, whereas the Tim Hortonsification of BC over the last couple decades just feels like an utter loss of identity.

The "push" you mention for the Leafs is far less pronounced than with the monopolies for the Blue Jays/Raptors (and even TFC to an extent) -- the difference is that fans outside of Toronto welcome it because they have this idea -- which I obviously disagree with -- that they have to cheer for a team nowhere near them because of what currency their stadium uses. I feel this just gives the networks (who, of course, own those teams) more ammo to treat the country as a singular market ( = Toronto, because there will never be any other "only one Canadian team" site).

Reactions: Kevinsane

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The "push" you mention for the Leafs is far less pronounced than with the monopolies for the Blue Jays/Raptors (and even TFC to an extent) -- the difference is that fans outside of Toronto welcome it because they have this idea -- which I obviously disagree with -- that they have to cheer for a team nowhere near them because of what currency their stadium uses. I feel this just gives the networks (who, of course, own those teams) more ammo to treat the country as a singular market ( = Toronto, because there will never be any other "only one Canadian team" site).

It isn't less pronounced though. Rogers Sportsnet discontinued all local Canucks media. No dedicated pre or post-game show, intermission time is taken up by recaps of the Maple Leafs, constant commercials, on Sportsnet Pacific, for Bob McCown show, in the past, etc. Like you said, there's no competition.

I have never really been to Ontario. Too far away with no motivation to visit. I've only really been to Seattle once; to see a Blue Jays game. Growing up in Abbotsford, Sumas and the rest of Northern Washington is a big part of my life and the only real connection I had towards them was animosity towards their strange commercials (Sleep Country USA?!), weather (why was it always snowier south of me!?), and bad sports teams. People I've met from Toronto, despite knowing nothing about BC, at least fundamentally had an understanding of Canada and don't view me as some weird stereotype despite being a few minutes away. I've always felt culturally closer to people from Toronto than pretty much anyone I've ever met from Seattle. The divide has been too big for me to get over.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I doubt it but he was definitely a favorite of mine when he was here. Shame we didn't get him and Gausman then pass on Kikchuci :(

From the way it was reported, they offered Ray and Gausman the same contract but the stipulation being whoever accepts first, they'll rescind the other. Gausman accepted while Ray asked for an extra day.

I liked the Kikuchi signing (I'm biased, I lived in Japan and my wife is Japanese) but it was gone as poorly as possible. I still like the idea of signing him. He seems to have some serious mental blocks that are preventing him from being who he could be. The stuff is absolutely electric.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
From the way it was reported, they offered Ray and Gausman the same contract but the stipulation being whoever accepts first, they'll rescind the other. Gausman accepted while Ray asked for an extra day.

I liked the Kikuchi signing (I'm biased, I lived in Japan and my wife is Japanese) but it was gone as poorly as possible. I still like the idea of signing him. He seems to have some serious mental blocks that are preventing him from being who he could be. The stuff is absolutely electric.
Yes remember reading both were offered same deals happy with Gausman as well. As per Kikuchi yes when on he's nasty just has control issues. Hopefully he figures it out because he can be nasty.

Ps. A couple friends stayed and taught English in Japan and absolutely loved it !!

Reactions: Vector

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

For Kikuchi sake, here’s hoping he has a good post season and off-season.

Come back better next year in the rotation

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For Kikuchi sake, here’s hoping he has a good post season and off-season.

Come back better next year in the rotation

He loses the plot once a runner gets on base. There's bigger issues than that but it's the most obvious one. Another problem has been his reluctance to listen to Pete Walker. The staff have been trying to get him to throw his fastball more but he's reluctant. So when he faces any hardship his comfort zone is to rely on less than optimal pitches and pitch sequences.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Jays vs. Mariners official, starts Friday.

I might actually tune in. Haven't watched a game on TV since...2016? I like going to games but I can't stand watching it on TV.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Jays vs. Mariners official, starts Friday.

I might actually tune in. Haven't watched a game on TV since...2016? I like going to games but I can't stand watching it on TV.
To me, baseball is the sport most enhanced by the live experience. Football is actually quite tedious to do live, I find. Hockey is a big whatever unless the game is important.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
To me, baseball is the sport most enhanced by the live experience. Football is actually quite tedious to do live, I find. Hockey is a big whatever unless the game is important.

Agreed. In Safeco you can just watch the game anywhere, I've never sat in my seats the whole game. You can go near the bullpen or just watch the game from the bleechers.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Agreed. In Safeco you can just watch the game anywhere, I've never sat in my seats the whole game. You can go near the bullpen or just watch the game from the bleechers.
I love that place. I am totally jealous of Seattle. Soon they will have all four big sports, and their MLS team is a top notch organization.

Reactions: MS and Bubbles

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I haven’t been out in the bullpen area. I have sat directly behind home to watch Tim Wakefield, Diamond Club seats to be close to Derek Jeter(girlfriend in 2009’s crush), a bunch of games on the third base line, a few on the first base line, and a bunch in the sections behind home plate in the upper deck.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
I haven’t been out in the bullpen area. I have sat directly behind home to watch Tim Wakefield, Diamond Club seats to be close to Derek Jeter(girlfriend in 2009’s crush), a bunch of games on the third base line, a few on the first base line, and a bunch in the sections behind home plate in the upper deck.

That's where I usually get seats, just because they're cheap. There's an open bar standing room near the bullpen too. There's also a staircase in centrefield where you see the whole park.

In July I accidentally wandered into the Hit it Here cafe while the Mariners hit a home run, lol.

When it's too sunny, I like standing under the bleechers and watching a game there.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That's where I usually get seats, just because they're cheap. There's an open bar standing room near the bullpen too. There's also a staircase in centrefield where you see the whole park.

In July I accidentally wandered into the Hit it Here cafe while the Mariners hit a home run, lol.

When it's too sunny, I like standing under the bleechers and watching a game there.
I’ll tell ya my possible favourite ticket ever. It’s the section right behind home, but last row in the whole building. Dead centre behind home. The rail to walk up the stairs is in front of you if you pick the right tickets. Nobody in front of you. Whole wide view of everything. $21USD for Jays in Seattle on Saturday night. Beautiful all around.

1664948310144.jpeg

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
I’ll tell ya my possible favourite ticket ever. It’s the section right behind home, but last row in the whole building. Dead centre behind home. The rail to walk up the stairs is in front of you if you pick the right tickets. Nobody in front of you. Whole wide view of everything. $21USD for Jays in Seattle on Saturday night. Beautiful all around.

View attachment 590922

That is pretty sweet! I'll consider it next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad