OT: Favorite MLB team: Mariners or Blue Jays?

Who is your favorite baseball team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Expos.

Then maybe the Mariners but I'm hardly a big fan of MLB anymore.

Strongly resent any suggestion that the Blue Jays are "Canada's baseball team." That franchise could wither and die for all I care. It's highly unfortunate that SN's summer-time programming is 95% BJ's games, BJ's highlight packages, or talk shows about the BJs

Expos for me as well. I lost interest in the sport when they moved.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Baseball is my number 2 sport (distant 2nd, but I do follow it quite closely in the summer/playoffs).

Mariners and Jays are my 2/3rd favorite teams semi-interchangeably.

My original favourite team was the Cubs, I got into them because of Sosa but fell out of love with baseball around the 2nd or 3rd steroid scandal in 2009. Barely watched until 2015 and then got back into it.

My favourite team now is the Colorado Rockies. They're a really sad franchise with poor ownership currently (insert Canucks joke here), but they're my team.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
stopped watching in the 90's when I thought the salaries got ridiculous. However, been watching this year, and equally a Jays / Mariners fan. (I lived around Seattle for 15 years). Having the jays in 30 sure makes an easier way to watch a game.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Got back in to baseball in 2014 when the Jays started getting competitive. That 2015 World Series run was one of the most emotional times I've ever been as a sports fan. 1st and 3rd with 0 outs in the 9th - that team should've won the thing.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Got back in to baseball in 2014 when the Jays started getting competitive. That 2015 World Series run was one of the most emotional times I've ever been as a sports fan. 1st and 3rd with 0 outs in the 9th - that team should've won the thing.
They would still have needed to win a game seven even had they come back in game six. Royals were better.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That was evil empire at it's peak. Still got beat by Schilling/Johnson though. Pitching always beats hitting in the playoffs.

Diamondbacks should’ve won that in 5, no seriously they were that good. Only Arizona’s garbage ass bullpen blew their wad in New York.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
While not official, M's/Jays is settling in as the 4 vs 5 WC matchup. Seattle will be rocking, with playoff baseball being here for the first time in 21 years. Vancouver bars should also be interesting, with Jays fans along with a few M's fans mixed in.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
If Seattle gets top wildcard or beats the Jays in Toronto I will consider their playoff drought over. At least without an asterisk.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
If Seattle gets top wildcard or beats the Jays in Toronto I will consider their playoff drought over. At least without an asterisk.
Back when the WC was only 2 teams and single game elimination, I could see why people wouldn't count the loser as making the playoffs. But with this round now being a best of 3 I think it completely counts as making the playoffs.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Back when the WC was only 2 teams and single game elimination, I could see why people wouldn't count the loser as making the playoffs. But with this round now being a best of 3 I think it completely counts as making the playoffs.
All good

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have never had any interest in American teams outside of hockey.
My sentiments exactly. The Mariners will never be the same as the Seahawks, who seem to have a pretty passionate and loyal following in B.C.

Mariners have terrible uniforms and up until this year, have been awful for two decades. And most MLB fans from Western Canada will only travel to Seattle when the Jays are in town.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Comparing the teams’ relative records completely misses the point as to why people like me cheer against the Blue Jays. It’s a separate issue from me being a Mariner fan (which stems from them being the local-ish team, going to their games regularly, getting them and their news on local TV, etc.) Hell, I liked the Expos…!

Toronto is Toronto… I also can’t stand the Raptors or TFC, and don’t like to feed their media machine so as to encourage them to do things like shutter Team 1040 for more centralized content out of Toronto. Canada is not a single market. I also don’t like the Toronto-ization of BC’s commercial landscape, thousands of miles away.

It has little to do with on-field performance, (and it’s not like this upcoming series could win me over or something). If it did I wouldn’t be a Canuck fan either…

Reactions: 4Twenty

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
imagine trying to knock a team for a long playoff drought when the blue Jays drought that ended in 2015 was it was actually longer.

I’ve cheered for both teams my whole life and I find the blue Jays fans to be worse. They really only chime in when there’s some success.

I guess it makes sense those folks are also Seahawks “fans”.
Edit* probably also aren’t fans of the Seahawks right now and most likely don’t recall the AFC west days.

The other irony is they probably hate the Maple Leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jyrki21

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
While not official, M's/Jays is settling in as the 4 vs 5 WC matchup. Seattle will be rocking, with playoff baseball being here for the first time in 21 years. Vancouver bars should also be interesting, with Jays fans along with a few M's fans mixed in.

If the Jays secure the first spot in the wild card, all games will be in Toronto. Seattle looks like they’ll secure the second wild card spot which will have they play Cleveland. Jays look like they’ll play the Rays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad