Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This won't happen, But would you do it?
Just a random, unlikely trade idea.

Let's take a look at Teams WITH a ton of Cap Space.

1 - Arizona - $27,554,048
2 - Buffalo - $25,668,779
3 - Anaheim - $21,168,128

Arizona first of all does not make a ton of sense, Mostly because they are still so far away, I don't think they are looking to compete as soon as a team like potentially Anaheim is.

Buffalo is the best of the 3, But have Cozens and Tage up front, so that makes no sense.

Anaheim tho is a team I think, Especially if they get a top 3 pick this year, Could be looking at significant improving not only Leadership but overall young talent, a faceoff guy and a goal scorer.

But your wonder, Why do we need SO much cap space for just Horvat?, What's the catch?

Here is what I am thinking.

Horvat (Sign and trade) + OEL for Future Considerations.
Anaheim Signs Horvat to a 8.5x8 Year Contract
Anaheim gets Horvat for "Free" in the deal, but has to take the ENTIRE OEL Contract.

Why The Canucks do it? - Capspace Galore, and getting out of a Disastrous Mistake in OEL.
Why Anaheim Does it? - They get a 1/2 C with Leadership and Faceoff Ability for Basically for a Cap Dump.

Just a random idea! (Anaheim Has to be Aggresive, Since they are a longer shot to sign him in the Off-Season, they somehow Convince Horvat to Believe in their Rebuild, Aka Michkov to play with him potentially).

Last edited:
Reactions: David Bruce Banner

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This won't happen, But would you do it?
Just a random, unlikely trade idea.

Let's take a look at Teams WITH a ton of Cap Space.

1 - Arizona - $27,554,048
2 - Buffalo - $25,668,779
3 - Anaheim - $21,168,128

Arizona first of all does not make a ton of sense, Mostly because they are still so far away, I don't think they are looking to compete as soon as a team like potentially Anaheim is.

Buffalo is the best of the 3, But have Cozens and Tage up front, so that makes no sense.

Anaheim tho is a team I think, Especially if they get a top 3 pick this year, Could be looking at significant improving not only Leadership but overall young talent, a faceoff guy and a goal scorer.

But your wonder, Why do we need SO much cap space for just Horvat?, What's the catch?

Here is what I am thinking.

Horvat (Sign and trade) + OEL for Future Considerations.
Anaheim Signs Horvat to a 8.5x8 Year Contract
Anaheim gets Horvat for "Free" in the deal, but has to take the ENTIRE OEL Contract.

Why The Canucks do it? - Capspace Galore, and getting out of a Disastrous Mistake in OEL.
Why Anaheim Does it? - They get a 1/2 C with Leadership and Faceoff Ability for Basically for a Cap Dump.

Just a random idea!

If Anaheim are ready to compete and want Horvat they won't OEL. It's the same trap Vancouver is currently in.

If they think they will be rebuilding for another 4 years they won't want horvat, a couple of Vancouver 1sts would be nicer. Horvat wouldn't want to sit through another rebuild.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Please tell me they cave again and offer him 8X$8M with absolutely no contingency plan and just try to wing the cap. That may seriously provide the most entertainment from the Canucks over the next 3-4 years.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think oel is moveable for way less than what horvat returns so i wouldn't want to do that deal for future considerations. no (competent) team is going to give up assets for horvat and oel though because as was pointed out there's no situation where it makes sense to bring in both

i think if you wanted you could move horvat for something like two first round picks in 2024/2025 and another asset (maybe a 2nd or good-not-great prospect like turcotte or grans from the kings or bergren from the wings) and then use one or both of the picks to move oel in 2024 or 2025 depending on when you need the cap space and how the 'retool' is going

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wednesday Afternoon Rumour Roundup:

-Dreger is convinced the Canucks will trade Horvat
-Ferraro says there is competition in the rental marketplace for a C; mentions Toews and O'Reilly
-Ferraro also points out that while Horvat's recent production is great, it's not inline with his career totals and that will be a factor

-says the statement reads like something Horvat's agent would right; insinuating damage control by the club to put the agent's statement out because of this leak

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If Anaheim are ready to compete and want Horvat they won't OEL. It's the same trap Vancouver is currently in.

If they think they will be rebuilding for another 4 years they won't want horvat, a couple of Vancouver 1sts would be nicer. Horvat wouldn't want to sit through another rebuild.
Ya, I think he wants a chance at a cup and his money. Not happening here for another 3 or 4 years and then he is a 3rd/4th liner making around 8 mil a year with another 30+ 8 million 3rd/4th liner making 8 mil.

Unless they wait another year and then trade Pettersson like Tkachuk.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
-says the statement reads like something Horvat's agent would right; insinuating damage control by the club to put the agent's statement out because of this leak

This is pretty obviously exactly what happened. Horvat was visibly pissed that all this stuff got leaked. I doubt an agent does that without his client's permission.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
This is pretty obviously exactly what happened. Horvat was visibly pissed that all this stuff got leaked. I doubt an agent does that without his client's permission.
Yea, at the media scrum yesterday Horvat said he wanted to keep it "confidential." He must be pretty upset with all the stuff that got leaked. Just another nail in the coffin for him, definitely can't see him wanting to come back to this organization now (unless he gets massively overpaid, which is still very much a possibility).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yea, at the media scrum yesterday Horvat said he wanted to keep it "confidential." He must be pretty upset with all the stuff that got leaked. Just another nail in the coffin for him, definitely can't see him wanting to come back to this organization now (unless he gets massively overpaid, which is still very much a possibility).

And he apologized to his teammates for it. I mean, this team seriously needs better PR staff (or they at least need to listen to them). External comms have been brutal. And this has been consistent for a number of years.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
And he apologized to his teammates for it. I mean, this team seriously needs better PR staff (or they at least need to listen to them). External comms have been brutal. And this has been consistent for a number of years.
I wonder if they haven't restocked a lot of departments after the covid clean out.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
I think the Canucks will cave in and sign him,
The team will still suck,while attempts to trade the rest of our garbage fails,,we lose Petty ,due to wanting to win.This is how I see it .

Reactions: LordBacon

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Uh-oh for the Red Wings.

They sure could use a new number one centre.

Detriot makes the most sense for Horvat IMO.

Larkin/Horvat/Kasper would be about as good as it gets. I really wanted Kasper in last years draft

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Larkin/Horvat/Kasper would be about as good as it gets. I really wanted Kasper in last years draft

Me too but it was pretty obvious there was no way he was falling all the way to the Canucks.

The Red Wings just have so many assets. Will be very interesting if they start make deals this year or if they wait until the summer.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Why would Detroit spend any assets to acquire Horvat in-season when they aren't expected to make the playoff this year anyways? Might as well sign him as a UFA. I don't think they are desperately needing Horvat to the point where they will trade for him now to make sure he doesn't hit UFA.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I don't really see an easy deal for Horvat anywhere, particularly given his probable price tag. The teams with sufficient cap are rebuilding and taking on Horvat doesn't make a lot of sense. and competitive teams that may be interested in Horvat for a playoff run don't have cap and would likely want to send back lesser age gap talent with contract hits in return. Ideally in addition to at least a 2023 1st rounder we'd get either a solid 1st pairing RD to play with Hughes (or a bluechipper who will be able to fit that spot within two years) and/or a solid two-way 2C to replace Horvat (or a bluechipper who will fill that spot within two years.) Since the story broke my FB feed has been filled with clickbait articles with all kinds of cockamamie rumors and stupid possible trade suggestions, like taking on more wingers, or mid-to-bottom-pairing D guys. Either the clickbait writers have no clue what the team needs (which is possible, as I rarely indulge rumors and never read this kind of crap), or there really isn't a lot out there to work with that would be a huge win for the Canucks.

"Get what you can because it's better than nothing" - yeah, I get it, I agree, but please, absolutely no crap, no vertical moves, no middling plugs, no big contracts or big money: bag a big pick and/or some good prospects and keep some cap space open and I'll be happy.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Woa woa woa talking of trading Horvat is put off a week they beat a sloppy af Calgary team gotta just make the playoffs anything can happen! - Mr Aquilini/JRPA

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
So I don't live in Van any longer, but is Dhaliwal legit? Like genuinely associated with the organization? Do the Canucks recognize his existence or is he a Taj?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So I don't live in Van any longer, but is Dhaliwal legit? Like genuinely associated with the organization? Do the Canucks recognize his existence or is he a Taj?

Rick gets most, if not all, his info from agents. He works the phones well, and is usually the go to guy in Vancouver for breaking canucks related stuff.

But sometimes it's much more apparent then others that it's one sided info straight from the players agent.

Currently i don't think there's any real info getting out of the organization. Like in years past where if IMac was saying something it might as well have been Benning himself saying it. That doesn't happen anymore. Not yet anyway.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why would Detroit spend any assets to acquire Horvat in-season when they aren't expected to make the playoff this year anyways? Might as well sign him as a UFA. I don't think they are desperately needing Horvat to the point where they will trade for him now to make sure he doesn't hit UFA.
Getting Bo now allows the Wings to go 8 years on the contract. They save on the yearly cap allocation which allows them to build a better supporting group.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He got the rouselle, beagle, Ericsson, myers, elder signings correct.

A few days before we got Nate Schmidt he tweeted Canucks will add a dman within the week. Tweet was shortly deleted after he tweeted it.

He also mentioned Canucks were in on hamonic vatanen. We signed hamonic early in 2020.

Now of course there were some things he didn’t report, however if he says something i kinda trust him due to him having a strong track record.

Reactions: Bobby9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad