Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Seems like Lysell and Brazeau had some decent chemistry in those highlights. 🤔
It would be neat to see lysell and Brazeau form a really good 3rd scoring line

That was the knock on him 3 years ago. Not remotely an issue now. Hes also really not undersized for a speed winger. And rating him below Locmelis too seals the deal.
Maybe he gets a lot of his prospect data from the world tournaments. Locmelis has been pretty clutch in those tournaments.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The last time he was interviewed, Mougenal had glowing comments about Lysell. He's got the talent and his coache's blessing - can't understand why some people aren't excited to see what this kid's got.

“I think he’s going to push (for an NHL job). He’s a super proud kid. He works, he’s inquisitive, wants to learn,” Mougenel told reporters Wednesday after Day 3 of Bruins development camp at Warrior Ice Arena. “For Fabian, the one thing we want … we want him to play free. I think that’s real important for Fabian, especially in training camp. We don’t want him to try and push it too hard. Just let his skill speak for itself and enjoy the process. He’s so way ahead of where we all probably think he should be. But we’re very comfortable with his growth, his production, and him becoming a more mature player.”

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It funny, but it feels like Lysell as been in the Bruins system for for a long time.....in reality though he's going into his 4th season for the organization. He's still just 21yrs old and if you look at his draft class there's only 11 players that have played at least 40 games. Of those 11 players, 7 of them were top 10 picks.

I think it was @DominicT who mentioned Lysell & DeBrusk from a development standpoint. DeBrusk was 21yrs old when he broke into the NHL (The age Lysell is this year) and Lysell actually has a better P/GP in the AHL than DeBrusk did.

DeBrusk at the NHL level produced at ~85% of his AHL production. If Lysell can manage to give you that same ~85% of his AHL production, then over a full season you're looking at 18G/37A/55P. I'd be happy if Lysell turned into a fringe 20G/60P player for his career lol.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I’m very excited to see what Lysell can bring to the NHL. Tons of talent. Put up really steady numbers in the AHL. All he need to do is look at his preseason games last year to see what not to do.

Reactions: PB37

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
It funny, but it feels like Lysell as been in the Bruins system for for a long time.....in reality though he's going into his 4th season for the organization. He's still just 21yrs old and if you look at his draft class there's only 11 players that have played at least 40 games. Of those 11 players, 7 of them were top 10 picks.

I think it was @DominicT who mentioned Lysell & DeBrusk from a development standpoint. DeBrusk was 21yrs old when he broke into the NHL (The age Lysell is this year) and Lysell actually has a better P/GP in the AHL than DeBrusk did.

DeBrusk at the NHL level produced at ~85% of his AHL production. If Lysell can manage to give you that same ~85% of his AHL production, then over a full season you're looking at 18G/37A/55P. I'd be happy if Lysell turned into a fringe 20G/60P player for his career lol.
I would be ecstatic if this occurred, his speed is outstanding and could help a guy like Coyle. Hopefully he can come in and earn a spot.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I’m going to assume DeBrusk was way above average at 85%. I’d be happy if Lysell could get close to 40 points without being a major defensive liability.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I’m going to assume DeBrusk was way above average at 85%. I’d be happy if Lysell could get close to 40 points without being a major defensive liability.

I'm mean sure, every player is different. Krejci was around 70% of his AHL production, Bergeron around 90% then Marchand went the other way at 110% of his AHL production. To be at roughly a 40pt player in the NHL he'd need to produce at ~63% of his current AHL production.

Reactions: HustleB

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I'm mean sure, every player is different. Krejci was around 70% of his AHL production, Bergeron around 90% then Marchand went the other way at 110% of his AHL production. To be at roughly a 40pt player in the NHL he'd need to produce at ~63% of his current AHL production.
If lysell scores 40 plus in his first nhl season I’ll be very happy. I can’t wait to see what he can do.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If lysell scores 40 plus in his first nhl season I’ll be very happy. I can’t wait to see what he can do.
The upside is there and 40 pts should be attainable if he stays healthy, is able to keep up with his linemates and gets an occasional look on the PP. The B's don't have another creative playmaker like him on the ice aside from maybe Pastrnak or Poitras- i.e. a player who can make plays against the grain to the open shooter. I wish he was a lefty so he could play with Pasta. It will be fun to watch him. I wish him the best!

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Met Fabien at Logan yesterday. He was very friendly and says he's very excited for his 3rd year. I told him we're all looking forward to seeing him in Boston, not Providence!

I hate to say this, cuz it really shouldn't matter.......damm, he is small!
It matters if he gets lined up lol.This kid needs to make it happen now not later.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I really hope Freddy gets a shot on the second line. I think it would work.

I am thinking Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta, Marchand-Coyle-Frederic

The truculence line of Kastelic-Beecher and Jones

and then Brazeau and Geekie with a rotation of the kids (Lysell, Poitras and Merkulov). Geekie can play wing or center depending on which kid gets the game. Poitras can be sent down if Lysell or Merkulov steps up but they would have a 2 way vet to stabilize the line and a big body support guy to play off their skills. The combination that evolves best becomes the line season end.

That line (assuming a healthy roster) gets the least ice time in all likelihood, unless of course they surprise.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I really hope Freddy gets a shot on the second line. I think it would work.

I am thinking Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta, Marchand-Coyle-Frederic

The truculence line of Kastelic-Beecher and Jones

and then Brazeau and Geekie with a rotation of the kids (Lysell, Poitras and Merkulov). Geekie can play wing or center depending on which kid gets the game. Poitras can be sent down if Lysell or Merkulov steps up but they would have a 2 way vet to stabilize the line and a big body support guy to play off their skills. The combination that evolves best becomes the line season end.

That line (assuming a healthy roster) gets the least ice time in all likelihood, unless of course they surprise.

I just don’t like the idea of ending up in a place where you have a kid line. And I think the ideal scenario is of both Poitras and Lysell making the team. If one of them falters, getting Coyle and Frederic together makes total sense.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I just don’t like the idea of ending up in a place where you have a kid line. And I think the ideal scenario is of both Poitras and Lysell making the team. If one of them falters, getting Coyle and Frederic together makes total sense.

" Gotta keep em separated " I think at some point, their games could work well together and I'm sure Monty will tinker a bit but I'd prefer to see Poitras and Lysell on separate lines.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I agree with you but I think it only becomes a kid line if the kids are just too damn good and that's unlikely. I don't consider Brazeau a "kid".

I think Poitras to Providence to start the year might be the best plan. Unless he's absolutely brilliant in camp and preseason he's the youngest and could benefit from more seasoning. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be on the roster end of the year either, but unless Lysell sucks in preseason I think he needs a real chance to show if he belongs or doesn't. Maybe the same for Merkulov.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
You realize this is kind of where he is at as a AHL player right? He hasn’t shown anything to this point to suggest he can play nhl hockey, hoping he puts up 40 points is a bit optimistic I think

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
You realize this is kind of where he is at as a AHL player right? He hasn’t shown anything to this point to suggest he can play nhl hockey, hoping he puts up 40 points is a bit optimistic I think
Everyone else called me pessimistic. He was almost a ppg last season though.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Everyone else called me pessimistic. He was almost a ppg last season though.
There are a lot of examples of prospects that were good in the AHL and it never amounted to sustained success in the NHL. For an example for us would be like a Cameron Man, Andy Hilbert, etc. Guys that were good in the AHL but couldn’t translate that to sustained NHL success.

Lysell will get his chance, it’s his play away from the puck is where he needed the most work. He seemed to get better last year after the coach called him on it. Let’s see if that actually sunk in throughout the summer. He definitely needed to get stronger too. So I hope he worked on that. Skill and skating are certainly there. We’ll find out if the rest of his game has caught up.

Reactions: Kegs

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

40pts as a rookie, ya it could be. Last season in the AHL his P/GP over 82 games would put him at 73 points. If he can give you 55% of his AHL production from last season it'd be 40pts

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There are a lot of examples of prospects that were good in the AHL and it never amounted to sustained success in the NHL. For an example for us would be like a Cameron Man, Andy Hilbert, etc. Guys that were good in the AHL but couldn’t translate that to sustained NHL success.

Lysell will get his chance, it’s his play away from the puck is where he needed the most work. He seemed to get better last year after the coach called him on it. Let’s see if that actually sunk in throughout the summer. He definitely needed to get stronger too. So I hope he worked on that. Skill and skating are certainly there. We’ll find out if the rest of his game has caught up.
He’s 21

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
For him to get 40, I’d be ecstatic as well but I think that’s overly optimistic. I think he’d need to play 80 games to do that and I just don’t see that happening in his first season.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Some of you know I'm not a Lysell guy however I believe if you give him the same icetime/opportunities that Debrusk got I think the point totals will be very similar to last year,in the low 40 to high 30's range
The biggest hindrance to Lysell after himself could be our lame duck coach who's paid to win after all

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Some of you know I'm not a Lysell guy however I believe if you give him the same icetime/opportunities that Debrusk got I think the point totals will be very similar to last year,in the low 40 to high 30's range
The biggest hindrance to Lysell after himself could be our lame duck coach who's paid to win after all
I believe if you give that time to Frederic he will put up better numbers than DeBrusk did. To me that leaves Brazeau/Johnson/Lysell/Geekie battling for 3rd line RW. I would go Geekie, Brazeau, Lysell, Johnson in that order for who I would look to take that spot

Reactions: Kegs

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I mean at what point do they start to look upstairs? Three coaches fired would not look great but I digress

Lysell to me should be given every opportunity up there to earn his keep. Some stretches will not be pretty, but stick with him and see what you have over the long haul of a season. You staple him next to 63 and 13. It's pretty much a no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad