Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Haha I actually push him to wing because if Poitras has a good camp he’s their third line center

Camp will tell us but I’m also good with a month long indoctrination of minor league hockey for Poitras - it was good enough for Marchand, Chara, Krejci, Pastrnak, and Bergeron I think he will be ok

That would give me this

Frederic- Geekie - Brazzeau
Beecher - Kastelic - Jones

Hey-now !!!!!

Freddie the runt just like McAvoy the runt on the D

I'm fine with Poitras starting out in the AHL. There is no shame in that either.

The cream will rise to the top by the time we get to April, similar to what we saw with Lohrei last year.

I see the forward group as 7 locks (Zacha, Lindholm, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Frederic, Geekie) and a battle all season for the remaining 5-6-7 spots (whatever they decide to carry at any given time).

Poitras, Lysell, Beecher, and Merkulov can all be sent down without passing through waivers. If the performance isn't there, hard to justify keeping them on the roster and you don't want them sitting upstairs in the pressbox either.

Guys like Brazeau, Jones, and Kastelic will be given every opportunity but they have to pull their weight. Nothing will be gifted to either of them.

People shouldn't sleep on Vinni Letteri. He played 40+ games in the NHL last year you know he'd love to stay in the NHL and no longer ride buses down the A. I can easily see him as the 13th F.

I think Viel, Koepke, and Tufte will all get consideration for that 13th F spot as well.

Kuntar and Duran are dark horses. Both can play a 4th line game and will bring the grit and hard work to camp.

McLaughlin and Brown are still around too and have NHL experience.

I think it's exciting to see how it all shakes out. I like the competition instead of having your 12 or 13 forwards locked in before camp even starts.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Blows my mind too. I thought Geekie had a strong year. It's embarrassing how many line-ups I see posted where a rookie Poitras is pushing the veteran Geekie to the wing. It should be the other way around, let the rookie break in on the wing there is no shame in that.

Line-ups where Geekie is down to the 4th line are also pretty ridiculous.
They are fixed on having Poitrs, Lysell or Merkolov in the lineup, instead of having them prove that they are ready contribute. Geekie type sadly will never satisfy some of this fan base, you are right Geekie had a strong year as did Freddy, and that is why I would like to see a line of Beecher in the middle of Freddy and Geekie, we might be very happy, with the results.

Reactions: BruinDust

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Ideally he’s a heck of a third liner

But Florida flipped up Evan Rodriguez at times who’s a prototypical third liner

Geekie reminds me of Steve Leach

He’s got that 25-30 goal season

Not saying he’s Mike Knuble but there’s a lot of that in him

A check of Knuble career year by year is one of more interesting players in nhl history

And - yes I’m still pissed we let him go

My two favorite under the radar born to be Bruins are Knuble and Andrew Brunette

Geekie isn’t there but I sure liked that signing - and thought are the Kraken on crack when they nontendered him

Interesting comparison to Rodrigues. I actually think Rodrigues is the more skilled player, but for whatever reason, lacks finish. Definitely a better skater than Geekie. Was crazy how noticeable he was during this year’s Panther playoff run.

I must admit, I thought Morgan was a few years older than he actually is so I was leaning into the “he is what he is” mantra maybe a bit harder than I should have been. Perhaps he still has another level. But still, I feel like he’s a guy you CAN move up the lineup but ideally don’t want to. In terms of offensive upside, he just looks out of place when he eats a lot of minutes on upper lines. Felt that way pretty much all year despite flashes of legitimate top 6 skill.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm fine with Poitras starting out in the AHL. There is no shame in that either.

The cream will rise to the top by the time we get to April, similar to what we saw with Lohrei last year.

I see the forward group as 7 locks (Zacha, Lindholm, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Frederic, Geekie) and a battle all season for the remaining 5-6-7 spots (whatever they decide to carry at any given time).

Poitras, Lysell, Beecher, and Merkulov can all be sent down without passing through waivers. If the performance isn't there, hard to justify keeping them on the roster and you don't want them sitting upstairs in the pressbox either.

Guys like Brazeau, Jones, and Kastelic will be given every opportunity but they have to pull their weight. Nothing will be gifted to either of them.

People shouldn't sleep on Vinni Letteri. He played 40+ games in the NHL last year you know he'd love to stay in the NHL and no longer ride buses down the A. I can easily see him as the 13th F.

I think Viel, Koepke, and Tufte will all get consideration for that 13th F spot as well.

Kuntar and Duran are dark horses. Both can play a 4th line game and will bring the grit and hard work to camp.

I think it's exciting to see how it all shakes out. I like the competition instead of having your 12 or 13 forwards locked in before camp even starts.
They’ve done a great job of setting up competition. 2RW gets all the pub, but 3C, the whole fourth line, and backup goalie all are big battles. And I’m sure Wotherspoon will have every opportunity to try to beat out Peeke for 3RD too.

They are fixed on having Poitrs, Lysell or Merkolov in the lineup, instead of having them prove that they are ready contribute.
I don’t understand this. Poitras won the job last year because he balled out and beat everyone else out. What makes you think anyone is being gifted a spot?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
They’ve done a great job of setting up competition. 2RW gets all the pub, but 3C, the whole fourth line, and backup goalie all are big battles. And I’m sure Wotherspoon will have every opportunity to try to beat out Peeke for 3RD too.

I don’t understand this. Poitras won the job last year because he balled out and beat everyone else out. What makes you think anyone is being gifted a spot?

He really did. Starting with development camp that summer...the kid was on another level and just kept rising.

Reactions: HustleB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They are fixed on having Poitrs, Lysell or Merkolov in the lineup, instead of having them prove that they are ready contribute. Geekie type sadly will never satisfy some of this fan base, you are right Geekie had a strong year as did Freddy, and that is why I would like to see a line of Beecher in the middle of Freddy and Geekie, we might be very happy, with the results.

I don't believe that to be the case. Any of the 3 will have to earn it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

He did play like he deserved the job, but that might have hurt him more than helped his progress, he had one goal in his last sixteen games, not good on face offs . I know he has added some weight this offseason and good for him, but that he just would benefit with sometime in the AHL.

Reactions: Blowfish

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I have very little in the way of concrete evidence to support this, but I don't want Fabian Lysell anywhere near the varsity club

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I thought Geekie ran hot and cold . I thought Geekie and Frederic had good chemistry on line 3 and that’s where I would like to see both of those guys in a perfect world .

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I thought Geekie ran hot and cold . I thought Geekie and Frederic had good chemistry on line 3 and that’s where I would like to see both of those guys in a perfect world .
I think , I kind of pointed in that direction, just adding Beecher in the middle.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Good analysis.
IMO Letteri is an AHL player only, he has no offensive upside to his game 13 goals in around 130 NHL games.
I think Jones gets a spot on the team and we still have an obvious hole to fill at RW.
I would love to see us sign Sprong on a PTO, think he would fit in nice.
39 goals in the last 2 years and is playing 10-11 minutes a night.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good analysis.
IMO Letteri is an AHL player only, he has no offensive upside to his game 13 goals in around 130 NHL games.
I think Jones gets a spot on the team and we still have an obvious hole to fill at RW.
I would love to see us sign Sprong on a PTO, think he would fit in nice.
39 goals in the last 2 years and is playing 10-11 minutes a night.

All 3 of Jones, Kastelic, and Brazeau have big time inside tracks. I'd put money on all 3 breaking camp.

But if they are 20 games in and the performance/production isn't there, they won't be getting free passes. They all still have something to prove.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m also team Brazeau
Dude had a pretty wild ride to get to the NHL

Gotta think he’s busting his balls this summer training

Guys gonna be a beast. Can’t teach size and the man has some of the best hands on the team.
great story of perseverance for sure but at the end of the day, I want the player that will give the B`s the best chance to win, will that be Brazz this year? Might be, we shall see

how so? Last year, Poitras was head and shoulders better in preseason than Merk at C and earned a spot and Lysell didn`t force the B`s management to make any tough decisions so they sent him and Merk back

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
great story of perseverance for sure but at the end of the day, I want the player that will give the B`s the best chance to win, will that be Brazz this year? Might be, we shall see

how so? Last year, Poitras was head and shoulders better in preseason than Merk at C and earned a spot and Lysell didn`t force the B`s management to make any tough decisions so they sent him and Merk back
That is true, he had a terrific pre season and start of the season but faded and would have been better served back in jrs. or at least AHL to get his feet wet in the pro game. I know it is not what you any many want to hear but he was not ready for the grind of a full NHL season.

Reactions: Blowfish

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That is true, he had a terrific pre season and start of the season but faded and would have been better served back in jrs. or at least AHL to get his feet wet in the pro game. I know it is not what you any many want to hear but he was not ready for the grind of a full NHL season.
Neither was Beecher and yet you are penciling him in the third line between Frederic and Geekie.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The waivers situation applies to Kuntar and Duran, too. And given the amount of 4th line types this team has, they sure will have to do something special.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Well done! Can't argue with reason. I agree, Letteri could surprise. Dude has some speed.

I want to see the skilled young forwards Merk, Poitras, and Lysell battle! May the best man win. No guaranteed spots for any of them with some younger vets also pushing to make top 6. They need to prove they belong in the NHL.
- keep up with NHL speed
- meet physical demands
- mesh with top 6
- produce
- be productive on pk and/or pp
- work hard at camp

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Some of these people here don’t understand balance

If Lysell is to become a Teuvo Teravainen type player it helps the Bruins win

Ideally I want to win and kick the crap out of the other team but we have to score

If Lysell is not that or projects to that move Geekie up

I’m surprised how Geekie doesn’t get more love as a good player

He freakin rocked some Panthers in that playoff series - he was hitting to leave a mark and I didn’t realize he was that guy

Geekie threw some hard hits all year that went mostly unnoticed by the board.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Blows my mind too. I thought Geekie had a strong year. It's embarrassing how many line-ups I see posted where a rookie Poitras is pushing the veteran Geekie to the wing. It should be the other way around, let the rookie break in on the wing there is no shame in that.

Line-ups where Geekie is down to the 4th line are also pretty ridiculous.

I don't think it's a problem to put Poitras at center over Geekie. I lean towards a traditional view with centers - I want my playmakers as the center more times than not and I think Poitras' skills leads him more as a center than Geekie, who's a grindy guy and opportunist shooter but isn't much of a playmaker. I'm sure he'll get his reps at center though with Monty's line tinkering tendencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad