F Tommaso De Luca - HC Ambrì-Piotta, NL (2023 undrafted)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
De Luca isn’t Swiss-born, so that can’t be the probably. His toolkit is kind of just average overall, with no real standout attributes, which always hurts guys. But there’s no way there are 223 better players than him in this draft. Without a doubt someone should’ve picked him.

I mean he spent most of his junior career in Switzerland, so I think that counts. Sure he hasn't a standout skill but as you said yourself we are not talking about getting picked in the first three rounds but about getting drafted at all. I am just noticing that prospects affiliated with Switzerland that are not blue chippers like Bichsel or Reinbacher but should be good enough to get drafted seem to get overlooked on a regular basis now. Knak (2020), Rochette, Canonica, Biasca, De Luca etc. I don't know if there is an actual bias there in the scouting community or if its just a coincidence, but I find it noticeable.

Reactions: hn777

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Surprised he didn't go. Great wheels and creative in the O zone. US Division will be interesting, Last game wildcard spots?

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shocked he didn't go but this may be partly because he didn't get to play any WJC's as an Italian. These tournaments are important for anyone not considered a clear cut top prospect.

I'm sure he expected to get drafted and he might not have left for Switzerland if he knew. Looks like a risky move now and it could cost him his chance to get drafted as an overager if his transition to pro hockey doesn't go well. He was in a pretty good spot in Spokane.

We'll see. Ambri is usually good with talent development (at least for Swiss standards) and there's a WJC20 upcoming so he still has a chance but this is definitely a bummer.

Reactions: pgfan66

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
On the flip side, I heard there are teams that had some interest in De Luca but weren’t happy to hear he’s heading back. Everyone expected a big breakout year for him in Spokane, and it’s easier to keep an eye on him there. Development paths play a pretty big role for NHL teams, and unless the player is Leo Carlsson level, they tend to prefer guys developing in major junior.

And before this gets misunderstood: I’m not saying Ambri isn’t a good development path. I’m in no place to judge it at all. Just relaying what I’ve heard regarding NHL interest for De Luca.
I also heard teams didnt like him going back.

As a kid who was going to get drafted in rounds 4-7 the answer he should have given was that he’d play wherever the team that drafted him wanted him to play. So many europeans do not understand how much selflessness appeases north americans.

whynot4949

Mar 15, 2021
A pity for De Luca, his return to Switzerland was not understood....

He had an offer to play center Third line in Ambri Piotta first team National League lwith adults and to get a Swiss passport for bureaucratic reasons he could not leave before getting it....

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
A pity for De Luca, his return to Switzerland was not understood....

He had an offer to play center Third line in Ambri Piotta first team National League lwith adults and to get a Swiss passport for bureaucratic reasons he could not leave before getting it....
I don’t think it’s teams not understanding it as much as it is teams thinking it’s not the right development path for him. He’s no Matthews and not even an Othmann level prospect.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t think it’s teams not understanding it as much as it is teams thinking it’s not the right development path for him. He’s no Matthews and not even an Othmann level prospect.
Yeah. The NL is the opposite of a development league. Young players don't usually get opportunities and coaching is far worse than in the CHL. So I can definitely see why NHL teams are worried. Also, with Swiss players they always question their work ethic/desire to play NHL. This is mostly a historic thing but sadly supported by guys like Brunner, Hofmann or Praplan. I know DeLuca is Italian born but he played almost all of his hockey in Switzerland, is very much Switzerland based.

However, Cereda is one of very few good Swiss coaches and if DeLuca gets regular NL minutes under his watch then NHL teams might change their opinion. Even SL is better than CHL as Othmann (and McTavish) stated. NL is a different universe. If DeLuca does well he might get his chance as an overager. We'll see.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Unless I missed it, De Luca didn’t even get a camp invite…

Good. I think at this stage of his career it more important to have some time of and then get to know his new teammates and coaches well rested. If he does well in the next few years there is still plenty of time for him to get drafted or signed. There are plenty of non traditional ways to reach the NHL out of the NLA. Just look at guys like J.J. Moser, Pius Suter or Kubalik.

Last edited:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Good. I think at this stage of his career it more important to have some time of and then get to know his new teammates and coaches well rested. If he does well in the next few years there is still plenty of time for him to get drafted or signed. There are plenty of non traditional ways to reach the NHL out of the NLA. Just look at guys like JJ. Moser, Pius Suter or Kubalik.
Sure. But I don’t think a week of dev camp has ever hurt anyone.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Sure. But I don’t think a week of dev camp has ever hurt anyone.

Maybe not, but I don't see that much value in attending one either to be honest. De Luca is going to play some U20 NT games in July too, so I think some time of or some extra time to work on individual aspects of his game will benefit him more.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Teams rarely invite undrafted/unsigned prospects that are in Europe.
Yeah. I don't think he attended the draft? If he stayed i Switzerland then I'm not sure there's a point flying over to NA for a development camp when he's on tour in Finland with the Swiss under 20 squad one week from now. He's probably in Ambri working on strength/conditioning with his new teammates and the team's physio's and fitness coaches.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
There are tons of undrafted/unsigned prospects from Europe at various dev camps.
There are hardly any skaters invited to the camps who are physically in Europe at the time of the development camp.

From a quick look at this list, other than a couple of goalies, I didn't see anyone that they had to fly over from Europe to attend the development camp: 2023-24 Development Camp Rosters & Invites

Looking at that list, 95% of players invited played in NA last year and will play in NA next year as well.

Others in Europe that would likely have been invited to a camp if they were in NA (skipping Russians): Peter Vesterheim, Eric Schneller, Hugo Petterson, Arvid Bergstrom, etc...

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
There are hardly any skaters invited to the camps who are physically in Europe at the time of the development camp.

From a quick look at this list, other than a couple of goalies, I didn't see anyone that they had to fly over from Europe to attend the development camp: 2023-24 Development Camp Rosters & Invites

Looking at that list, 95% of players invited played in NA last year and will play in NA next year as well.

Others in Europe that would likely have been invited to a camp if they were in NA (skipping Russians): Peter Vesterheim, Eric Schneller, Hugo Petterson, Arvid Bergstrom, etc...
Arizona: Tobias Ancicka, Josh Samanski and Lukas Hes
Boston: Hlib Artsatbanov
Colorado: Dominik Pavlat
LA invited Eric Hördler and Max Heim
Ottawa: Joona Vaisanen
Toronto: Benjamin Rautiainen, Isac Hedqvist and Albin Sundin

I understand it might not make sense for everyone to fly over and back, especially for a guy like De Luca who just got back from Spokane. But it’s not like invites from Europe don’t happen, even if they’re relatively rare.

Also, Eric Schneller isn’t nearly as good as some people seem to think and NHL team’s interest in him isn’t even remotely close to their interest in De Luca. But that’s a different topic.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Looking good so far in the NL. 2 points in 3 games playing in a top6 role. Way too early for a final verdict but if he keeps this up and has a good WJC20 he's surely gonna get drafted.
I must admit I didn’t expect him to get this big a role. Haven’t seen him play in the NL but at least being listed on the 2nd line every game since the first preseason game and producing points is great for him and I hope he has a big breakout year in the league.

Regarding the draft, I’m still not sure. I think he’ll need a BIG year to get drafted. At this point it’s pretty well known that teams took him off their draft lists when they found out he was returning to Switzerland, and I’m not sure drafting him out of Switzerland as opposed to the WHL really changes that. On the one hand, teams would be able to retain his rights for 4 years before having to sign him vs 2 years had he been drafted out of the WHL. But at the same time, I think the only reasonable scenario where teams would want to draft him is if he’s ready to and agrees to move back to North America immediately to play in the AHL or even NHL. Meaning, he might have to go the JJ Moser route, who wasn’t drafted until he was able to jump straight into an NHL lineup after three full NL seasons.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I must admit I didn’t expect him to get this big a role. Haven’t seen him play in the NL but at least being listed on the 2nd line every game since the first preseason game and producing points is great for him and I hope he has a big breakout year in the league.

Regarding the draft, I’m still not sure. I think he’ll need a BIG year to get drafted. At this point it’s pretty well known that teams took him off their draft lists when they found out he was returning to Switzerland, and I’m not sure drafting him out of Switzerland as opposed to the WHL really changes that. On the one hand, teams would be able to retain his rights for 4 years before having to sign him vs 2 years had he been drafted out of the WHL. But at the same time, I think the only reasonable scenario where teams would want to draft him is if he’s ready to and agrees to move back to North America immediately to play in the AHL or even NHL. Meaning, he might have to go the JJ Moser route, who wasn’t drafted until he was able to jump straight into an NHL lineup after three full NL seasons.
I don't think Moser is a good comparison for De Luca. Moser was always considered a defensive minded defenseman with a terrible shot and very questionable physical attributes. Because of that NHL teams did not take much of an interest in him because they didn't see NHL upside. Then in 20-21 he had a pretty remarkable and unlikely offensive breakthrough season after working on the respective tools in the summer and getting PP responsibilities. And that really changed everything in his evaluation by NHL teams. De Luca on the other hand is more comparable to fellow forwards like Simon Knak or Benjamin Baumgartner who both got drafted as NLA regulars and overagers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad