F Tommaso De Luca - HC Ambrì-Piotta, NL (2023 undrafted)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I thought he was pretty good against Slovakia, despite a Slovak victory and basically Slovak C team. Plays were running through him and he skated well. I think he could simplify his game a little more at times, and he can sometimes get lost when the opponent has the puck but the offensive skill is certainly there. Probably a 4th-5th rounder or so for me.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I thought he was pretty good against Slovakia, despite a Slovak victory and basically Slovak C team. Plays were running through him and he skated well. I think he could simplify his game a little more at times, and he can sometimes get lost when the opponent has the puck but the offensive skill is certainly there. Probably a 4th-5th rounder or so for me.
It's a Swiss C, maybe even D team playing that tournament as well so it would be strange if plays wouldn't run through De Luca. He's by far the best Swiss prospect playing that tournament. All other better prospects are not there. About a third of that team you can tell already probably won't make the WJC20 roster. De Luca is the only Swiss player on the roster who is likely to get drafted this year. No player is drafted. This is mostly a chance to impress for some kids still playing juniors in Switzerland. There's also not a single underager on that roster because of other tournaments going on.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It's a Swiss C, maybe even D team playing that tournament as well so it would be strange if plays wouldn't run through De Luca. He's by far the best Swiss prospect playing that tournament. All other better prospects are not there. About a third of that team you can tell already probably won't make the WJC20 roster. De Luca is the only Swiss player on the roster who is likely to get drafted this year. No player is drafted. This is mostly a chance to impress for some kids still playing juniors in Switzerland. There's also not a single underager on that roster because of other tournaments going on.
What tournament is this?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
What tournament is this?
It’s a u20 tournament in Slovakia with reserve teams for each nation essentially.

Makes sense, I’m just saying what I saw in the player in that 1 game.

All the teams here have weaker squads, Samuel urban was playing in net for Slovakia and he’s a 2005. De Luca was the only player in the game who is going to get drafted and probably one of the few in the entire tournament who will be. Ciernik isn’t even playing and guys who were cut from the U18 team are here too, the hockey is overall not that good to watch :laugh:. I’d feel bad if any scouts made the journey here first before the U18 WC.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It’s a u20 tournament in Slovakia with reserve teams for each nation essentially.

Makes sense, I’m just saying what I saw in the player in that 1 game.

All the teams here have weaker squads, Samuel urban was playing in net for Slovakia and he’s a 2005. De Luca was the only player in the game who is going to get drafted and probably one of the few in the entire tournament who will be. Ciernik isn’t even playing and guys who were cut from the U18 team are here too, the hockey is overall not that good to watch :laugh:. I’d feel bad if any scouts made the journey here first before the U18 WC.
Is De Luca really even close to being a sure thing for the draft at this point? Hasn’t been getting much attention at all, except from people who already liked him going into the year based on the fact he’s Italian.

Reactions: dr1234

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Is De Luca really even close to being a sure thing for the draft at this point? Hasn’t been getting much attention at all, except from people who already liked him going into the year based on the fact he’s Italian.
Doesn't matter what hfboards or other hobby scouts think. He must be on the radar of the NHL teams. He's playing well for late 04 birthday in his first CHL season.

Is he a lock to get drafted though? I wouldn't say so. Probably not. Personally I think he should get drafted but that's just my opinion and at this point we don't know.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Doesn't matter what hfboards or other hobby scouts think. He must be on the radar of the NHL teams. He's playing well for late 04 birthday in his first CHL season.

Is he a lock to get drafted though? I wouldn't say so. Probably not. Personally I think he should get drafted but that's just my opinion and at this point we don't know.
Sure, but his name hasn't popped up anywhere. There are enough draft writers with connections into the business (whether it's the guys at EP, Hockeyprospect or The Athletic) and most relevant names pop up there at some point. Of course, this doesn't mean that players who never come up don't get drafted. But I'd say it's rather unlikely.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

I think Simon Knak is a fairly decent comparable. He didn't get drafted with slightly worse WHL stats. He was not a late birthday though and already played pretty well in the WJC in his draft year. I could see the scouts generally liking De Lucas offensive upside more than Knaks however. I would certainly be surprised if he gets left on the shelf but you never know.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sure, but his name hasn't popped up anywhere. There are enough draft writers with connections into the business (whether it's the guys at EP, Hockeyprospect or The Athletic) and most relevant names pop up there at some point. Of course, this doesn't mean that players who never come up don't get drafted. But I'd say it's rather unlikely.
Most of them probably have no relevant connections whatsoever or they wouldn't be so wrong year after year. Also, we're talking about potential late rounder, not a potential 1st rounder.
DeLuca is playing in a league that is heavily scouted and he's playing with one of the top, if not the top forward prospect in the 2024 draft. Expect NHL teams to know a lot about DeLuca and it only takes one team to like his upside.

Again, I don't know more than these guys but the fact that wannabe NHL scouts aren't talking about DeLuca doesn't mean much.

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
It's a Swiss C, maybe even D team playing that tournament as well so it would be strange if plays wouldn't run through De Luca. He's by far the best Swiss prospect playing that tournament. All other better prospects are not there. About a third of that team you can tell already probably won't make the WJC20 roster. De Luca is the only Swiss player on the roster who is likely to get drafted this year.

Your answer is funny. More then half squad will be playing on WJC in the swiss side. But from slovak team will be on the tournament at most 2 players. Two best swiss forwards born 02 were on the rooster (De Luca, Greuter)

Especially swiss forwards born 04 and 05 are very weak. Gruber, Greuter, Hull ...terrible season. M. Muller, Taibel, Braillard had average stats in CHL.

But swiss players born 06 are really good, more better as 04 or 05 class.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Your answer is funny. More then half squad will be playing on WJC in the swiss side. But from slovak team will be on the tournament at most 2 players. Two best swiss forwards born 02 were on the rooster (De Luca, Greuter)

Especially swiss forwards born 04 and 05 are very weak. Gruber, Greuter, Hull ...terrible season. M. Muller, Taibel, Braillard had average stats in CHL.

But swiss players born 06 are really good, more better as 04 or 05 class.
:help::facepalm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’ll be very surprised if De Luca isn’t drafted, likely somewhere 4th-5th round.

He’s a natural C who plays a projectable two way game which is huge. First step needs work but he’s a pretty elusive skater once he gets up to speed. Magic hands and stick handling. Good vision. Poor shot.

Scored a lot of ES points (more than Danielson or Yager) playing for a terrible team and was only a -5 playing a ton of minutes (led the team in FO attempts to give a window into his usage) for a team with a -119 goal differential.

Also looks bigger than he’s listed. Wouldn’t be surprised if he plays at 6-1 190 eventually.

There’s a fair bit there to work with. Would have been nice to see him on a team that didn’t totally suck.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’ll be very surprised if De Luca isn’t drafted, likely somewhere 4th-5th round.

He’s a natural C who plays a projectable two way game which is huge. First step needs work but he’s a pretty elusive skater once he gets up to speed. Magic hands and stick handling. Good vision. Poor shot.

Scored a lot of ES points (more than Danielson or Yager) playing for a terrible team and was only a -5 playing a ton of minutes (led the team in FO attempts to give a window into his usage) for a team with a -119 goal differential.

Also looks bigger than he’s listed. Wouldn’t be surprised if he plays at 6-1 190 eventually.

There’s a fair bit there to work with. Would have been nice to see him on a team that didn’t totally suck.

Yeah, I'd say there's a chance he goes even late 3rd, but I definitely see him getting drafted.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Yeah, I'd say there's a chance he goes even late 3rd, but I definitely see him getting drafted.
I guess one thing that matters a ton with players like him that we have zero knowledge of is the player’s character, work ethic, etc. It’s not always the most skilled players or whatever that get drafted in the later rounds. It’s often the ones who work the hardest and are the most coachable. So if these things apply to De Luca, it’d definitely increase his chances.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, absolutely.

The 'surprised he didn't get drafted!' guys are usually small skill winger types whose production put them on the radar but major warts at a non-premium position sunk them.

De Luca is a C who projects as a C and is quite a solid defensive C at that, and his ES production/size/tools are all pretty impressive. I'd be shocked if he isn't drafted. And as you say, wouldn't be shocked even as high as the 3rd. But he's probably 4th-5th round material.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
According to Swiss media he is "as of today part of the first team of Ambri-Piotta". Whatever that means these days...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Good move. Has been in the Ambri system for years already so he knows his way around there. Also, if he gets NL time that's huge for his development. It also looks like the Rockets project (their farm team) is gonna live on thanks to a collaboration with the SCL Tigers. This could be an opportunity for young players like DeLuca to get lots of additional ice time. SL is pretty far from NL in terms of quality but it's still pro hockey.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Good move. Has been in the Ambri system for years already so he knows his way around there. Also, if he gets NL time that's huge for his development. It also looks like the Rockets project (their farm team) is gonna live on thanks to a collaboration with the SCL Tigers. This could be an opportunity for young players like DeLuca to get lots of additional ice time. SL is pretty far from NL in terms of quality but it's still pro hockey.
I must say I strongly disagree. De Luca’s 0.75 points per game or whatever are nothing to scoff at but it’s not like he tore up the league. We debate so much about Swiss kids coming over too early who don’t succeed and the one time a guy is properly developing, he heads home immediately. There’s nothing wrong with having a breakout WHL season with a PPG+ and then going back to take on a big role in Switzerland. Why rush it?

Reactions: hellwar9

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I must say I strongly disagree. De Luca’s 0.75 points per game or whatever are nothing to scoff at but it’s not like he tore up the league. We debate so much about Swiss kids coming over too early who don’t succeed and the one time a guy is properly developing, he heads home immediately. There’s nothing wrong with having a breakout WHL season with a PPG+ and then going back to take on a big role in Switzerland. Why rush it?
He gets a chance to play pro hockey at the level that fits him and the team that has space for him. That comes with money, living at home, being in the locker room with pro players as opposed to a bunch of goofballs... Not many downsides.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad