Tribute f*** Mike Sullivan.

Sike Mullivan

Nickstuitveness.
Nov 15, 2010
That 03/04 powerplay was top 10 that year. At least he's smart enough to figure out that part of the game, which makes him more qualified than our current entire coaching staff.
How much of that was coaching though? I thought it was more Dick Tarnstrom imposing his will and there wasn't a damn thing the other teams could do about it.

As for a new coach, someone who has a style like Guy Boucher/Jacques Martin might be best for this team. Whether or not they would listen to his message is another debate.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Either the players have tuned him out, or the system doesn't for the Penguins AS THEY ARE TODAY.

It is perplexing that the tail end of last season we went on a torrid winning streak, only to suddenly go to a dumpster fire this season, which leads me to believe he's been tuned out (for whatever reason).

Sulllivan is a good coach, but he still should be fired, only to get new blood, energy, and a fresh perspective.

As for his salary....
Worst case if FSG loves him to death, he sits for 3 years and they pay him, find someone to coach the last 2-3 years of Crosby/Malkin/etc, and then bring him back. I know that's unorthodox but thinking outside the box.

Realistically, he'll just get quickly signed by someone else, and they will be off the hook for his salary.

Reactions: Andy99

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Sullivan was good for this team from 15-18, when they had the youth and talent to play the system that won them 2 cups.

For the last 5 years, he has been AWFUL, but they Penguins want to treat him like Tomlin and give him a million years to run a system his team can no longer play. He should have been fired half a decade ago. I fully expect him to not be fired until the stars retire.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
a twenty sided dice would run the team better than Sullivan
fcb091fd2bc1153dee8f803c5c5fa94f.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Crosby, Malkin and Letang have already gone through the Michel Therrien coaching style. At their ages, they would want no part of that now. So I don't think hiring Claude Julien or Jacques Martin now is the way to go.

But you would think that a fresh young coach with OFFENSIVE ideas would be right up their alley. That guy in Saginaw in the OHL, for example. I never remember his name. But I could get behind doing something like that. Yes, this defense needs to get fixed. But if we actually played the right goaltender, improved the PP and got the first line back to the levels we are used to, that the team is used to, then at least we could compete. You always need to play to your strengths, and to your identity. Mike Sullivan's identity clashes so badly with how this team actually needs to play to be successful. Hence why we never replaced Phil Kessel.

but as always, the point is moot because the coach is secure.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crosby, Malkin and Letang have already gone through the Michel Therrien coaching style. At their ages, they would want no part of that now. So I don't think hiring Claude Julien or Jacques Martin now is the way to go.

But you would think that a fresh young coach with OFFENSIVE ideas would be right up their alley. That guy in Saginaw in the OHL, for example. I never remember his name. But I could get behind doing something like that. Yes, this defense needs to get fixed. But if we actually played the right goaltender, improved the PP and got the first line back to the levels we are used to, that the team is used to, then at least we could compete. You always need to play to your strengths, and to your identity. Mike Sullivan's identity clashes so badly with how this team actually needs to play to be successful. Hence why we never replaced Phil Kessel.

but as always, the point is moot because the coach is secure.
My heart says YES, but my brain and gut say no. This team doesn't have the ponies anymore to be a high-tempo run-and-gun offense. Otherwise, you just hire Bruce Boudreau. I think they need a Paul Maurice—someone who implements a system that preaches defensive responsibility and structure.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
My heart says YES, but my brain and gut say no. This team doesn't have the ponies anymore to be a high-tempo run-and-gun offense. Otherwise, you just hire Bruce Boudreau. I think they need a Paul Maurice—someone who implements a system that preaches defensive responsibility and structure.
I'm totally on board with that. At this point, 87/71/58 should be too. I can't imagine they've particularly enjoyed the past couple seasons from a team-success standpoint, so they of all people should be open to a new coaching philosophy.

Edit: Also, if anything, a coaching change would give them some glimmer of hope that this thing is salvageable

Last edited:
Reactions: Gold Diamond

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm totally on board with that. At this point, 87/71/58 should be too. I can't imagine they've particularly enjoyed the past couple seasons from a team-success standpoint, so they of all people should be open to a new coaching philosophy.

Edit: Also, if anything, a coaching change would give them some glimmer of hope that this thing is salvageable
Imagine what a new coach with fresh ideas could do if he implements a system that lowers the number of missed defensive assignments and odd-man rushes could do for this team. Combine that with just the general bump in energy that comes with a new coach.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You also have to remember where your bread is buttered. This team cannot and should not be built around a goaltender, no matter how much promise Blomqvist shows. And their top two defensemen are more offensive than defensive. Their top two centers are also more offensive than defensive. You have to maximize output of your best players to win hockey games. That has not changed in 100 years.

Now imagine a scenario where a coach comes in and actually plays younger players. A coach who gives guys like Puljujarvi, Puustinen, McGroarty confidence. Imagine a coach who actually thinks Sam Poulin deserves another crack at an NHL roster. And someone who does not view the roster as some antiquated hierarchical system. Someone who believes that if the top six is playing well, maybe Bryan Rust can spend a few games on the third line until we need him again on the top line.

Oh what a wonderful world it would be.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
lol. Malkin to line 1 and Hayes to 2C.

Sully getting desperate.

Edit: Rust is out. Maybe why the lines are jumbled like that.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
lol. Malkin to line 1 and Hayes to 2C.

Sully getting desperate.

Edit: Rust is out. Maybe why the lines are jumbled like that.
Has Sully spoken to the media yet?

I imagine these lines are for real, or at least the Sid/Geno connection is. I don't think Rust being out would be enough to make Malkin take line rushes with line one. Not if they intended to keep Malkin at center. They'd just put some other scrub on Sid's wing instead.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Has Sully spoken to the media yet?

I imagine these lines are for real, or at least the Sid/Geno connection is. I don't think Rust being out would be enough to make Malkin take line rushes with line one. Not if they intended to keep Malkin at center. They'd just put some other scrub on Sid's wing instead.
I don’t think so. These were taken from a twitter/insta account that attends the practices I think? It’s usually pretty accurate.

Reactions: Pancakes

BobCole

May 21, 2014
It’s Monday afternoon….can his ass already.
I guess I'm naive. I thought there was a meaningful chance that he'd be canned today. It doesn't really make sense that the org talks about wanting to qualify for a playoff position, has a start like this, and doesn't can the coach. It's not the record itself that is most concerning, but the fashion in which the team has been losing, rife with all of the same problems as the last several years. It's disconcerting that the org is mum.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess I'm naive. I thought there was a meaningful chance that he'd be canned today. It doesn't really make sense that the org talks about wanting to qualify for a playoff position, has a start like this, and doesn't can the coach. It's not the record itself that is most concerning, but the fashion in which the team has been losing, rife with all of the same problems as the last several years. It's disconcerting that the org is mum.

There is so little chance it happens that I've completely stopped being hopeful about it and just assume that they MIGHT re-assess after the Olympics but not until then.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think it shows that FSG doesn’t really care about winning…hopefully they hear it from the fans and mostly, that Sid goes to management and kindly suggests the coach be removed lol…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think it shows that FSG doesn’t really care about winning…hopefully they hear it from the fans and mostly, that Sid goes to management and kindly suggests the coach be removed lol…

Maybe once the Premiere League season is over, they'll focus on what a shitshow their Pittsburgh investment was.

Wish Mark Cuban would have bought one of these franchises (Pens/Steelers/Pirates) by now....

Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Maybe once the Premiere League season is over, they'll focus on what a shitshow their Pittsburgh investment was.

Wish Mark Cuban would have bought one of these franchises (Pens/Steelers/Pirates) by now....
I don’t think FSG is as bad Nutting. I think some smooth talking salesmen named Sullivan and Dubas have done a good job selling themselves.

Eventually they’ll see the reality. I hope.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Madden says part of the issue facing the Penguins is that Mike Sullivan is simply too stuck in his ways and sees this Penguins team for what it used to be instead of what it has become.

“If you gave Herb (Brooks) muckers and grinders, guess what he would do? He’d muck and grind. And he’d do everything that he could to turn it into an art form. Sully only knows how to coach one way, only wants to coach one way, which is why he is not a very good coach,” Madden said
Madden is turning on sullivan used to be he said he was a good coach. Won't be long if this continues that the rest of the media turns on him. After that it's a matter of time until he's gone.

Unless we just magically start winning games of course...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Madden is doing what he's always done; saying shit so people talk about him. That's all.

When the real bootlickers like Yohe turn on Sully and openly question his coaching or whether he should still be the coach, that's when you pay attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad