Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jake McCabe to an extension (5 years - 4.51M AAV)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There are currently 239 registered D this season, all of our top 4 is in the top 75 for age.

I'm not sure there is an older top 4 than ours.

The issue is not a single contract, it's that every D contract we have takes them to 36+... there are bound to be some bad years where they are playing well below their contracts.

OEL went from bad to good in one year, if he regressed I wouldn't be surprised.

All I am saying is these are risky contracts to carry all at once, it could end up really bad.

I don't disagree, but not sure what the choice is. We've failed to develop anyone of note on the back end and any FA is going to skew older, and likely more expensive than this deal. The current top 4 is locked in for 20 million for this year plus 3 more. In 3 years when the cap approaches 100 million and those 4 are 33-37 they're going to be worse than they are now absolutely. I think it's reasonable that Rielly's a #2, Tanev/McCabe 4's and OEL a 5. You've got cap space to bring in a #1 if one can be found and still have a reasonably price backend is all I'm saying. There are scenarios where it doesn't work out that well for sure, but it's not the worst plan. Say in 3 years #1 makes 10 million and 6 and 7 make 2 each. 34 million for your D when the cap is 100 million might even be on the light side.

I think people worry too much about guys falling off their game into bottom pairing D and fail to think about what the going rate for a #5 will be in 3 years when the cap skyrockets. If they all are bottom pair D in 3 years that's a problem. But I think your median outcome is a manageable scenario.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't disagree, but not sure what the choice is. We've failed to develop anyone of note on the back end and any FA is going to skew older, and likely more expensive than this deal. The current top 4 is locked in for 20 million for this year plus 3 more. In 3 years when the cap approaches 100 million and those 4 are 33-37 they're going to be worse than they are now absolutely. I think it's reasonable that Rielly's a #2, Tanev/McCabe 4's and OEL a 5. You've got cap space to bring in a #1 if one can be found and still have a reasonably price backend is all I'm saying. There are scenarios where it doesn't work out that well for sure, but it's not the worst plan. Say in 3 years #1 makes 10 million and 6 and 7 make 2 each. 34 million for your D when the cap is 100 million might even be on the light side.

I think people worry too much about guys falling off their game into bottom pairing D and fail to think about what the going rate for a #5 will be in 3 years when the cap skyrockets. If they all are bottom pair D in 3 years that's a problem. But I think your median outcome is a manageable scenario.

We may have 4 number fives in 3 years, so we can set the market.

I don't think this is a bad contract, but I think our D core could be bad very quickly.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Good post.

I think there is less to worry about here of our D corps aging out as long as management is consistently proactive in adding/drafting/development our defensive pipeline.

Thus far they have proven to be much more aware than the previous GM.

If they continue with the mindset and awareness they’ve displayed recently, our defensive corp stands to be in a better place in 2-3 years, if/when our current corps starts to “age out”.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
OEL went from bad to good in one year, if he regressed I wouldn't be surprised.

All I am saying is these are risky contracts to carry all at once, it could end up really bad.

Always risk, regardless of age.
Ekman-Larsson's injuries were at age 30, not old at all.

in 2020-21 and endured two disappointing seasons and breaking his foot twice in less than a year before having the final four seasons on his contract bought out last June 16.

“I didn’t see it coming,” said Ekman-Larsson, who missed the final 27 games with Vancouver last season after breaking his foot the second time on Feb. 15. “I’d been hurt. I got hurt the first time at world championship (in 2022) and kind of had to force it to be healthy for training camp the following year, so I was kind of rushed a little bit and was feeling the injury going into the year, and that’s never good. Then we were struggling as a team and I was struggling along with the team, so it was a tough year.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's the right number for sure, he plays an honest game, he isn't shy with the body and generally seems like an excellent teammate.

It was nice hearing that his wife and kids love Toronto and were happy to commit to five more years. It seems that there is some negative stuff about playing in Canada with both Canadians and Americans, nice to see that they like Canadian culture.

Reactions: LeafSteel

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
In a vacuum it's fine, but I'm just not a fan of building around an aging defense group which isn't even a high end unit today. This also gives 3/6 of the Leafs regulars on D a full NTC/NMC until the end of the 26/27 season. Seems weird to commit so much term to a group that's middle of the pack at best.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know how to feel about it, giving that length of contract for any Dman, particularly one who plays with a decent amount of physicality usually age like milk.

Also, I'd prefer if they didn't commit any future cap space on current players until after the season.

After the Tanev deal it's pretty much a lost cause about pointing out the issues with age and the D core. Just got to enjoy the ride and hope they can figure out a reasonable fix in a few years time when it's more of an issue.

In this case I think McCabe will be just fine for the majority of his time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
On the surface it's solid. Good value, but the age of our D and term could get ugly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad