Tribute f*** Mike Sullivan.

Sike Mullivan

Nickstuitveness.
Nov 15, 2010
That 03/04 powerplay was top 10 that year. At least he's smart enough to figure out that part of the game, which makes him more qualified than our current entire coaching staff.
How much of that was coaching though? I thought it was more Dick Tarnstrom imposing his will and there wasn't a damn thing the other teams could do about it.

As for a new coach, someone who has a style like Guy Boucher/Jacques Martin might be best for this team. Whether or not they would listen to his message is another debate.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Either the players have tuned him out, or the system doesn't for the Penguins AS THEY ARE TODAY.

It is perplexing that the tail end of last season we went on a torrid winning streak, only to suddenly go to a dumpster fire this season, which leads me to believe he's been tuned out (for whatever reason).

Sulllivan is a good coach, but he still should be fired, only to get new blood, energy, and a fresh perspective.

As for his salary....
Worst case if FSG loves him to death, he sits for 3 years and they pay him, find someone to coach the last 2-3 years of Crosby/Malkin/etc, and then bring him back. I know that's unorthodox but thinking outside the box.

Realistically, he'll just get quickly signed by someone else, and they will be off the hook for his salary.

Reactions: Andy99

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Sullivan was good for this team from 15-18, when they had the youth and talent to play the system that won them 2 cups.

For the last 5 years, he has been AWFUL, but they Penguins want to treat him like Tomlin and give him a million years to run a system his team can no longer play. He should have been fired half a decade ago. I fully expect him to not be fired until the stars retire.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
a twenty sided dice would run the team better than Sullivan
fcb091fd2bc1153dee8f803c5c5fa94f.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Crosby, Malkin and Letang have already gone through the Michel Therrien coaching style. At their ages, they would want no part of that now. So I don't think hiring Claude Julien or Jacques Martin now is the way to go.

But you would think that a fresh young coach with OFFENSIVE ideas would be right up their alley. That guy in Saginaw in the OHL, for example. I never remember his name. But I could get behind doing something like that. Yes, this defense needs to get fixed. But if we actually played the right goaltender, improved the PP and got the first line back to the levels we are used to, that the team is used to, then at least we could compete. You always need to play to your strengths, and to your identity. Mike Sullivan's identity clashes so badly with how this team actually needs to play to be successful. Hence why we never replaced Phil Kessel.

but as always, the point is moot because the coach is secure.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crosby, Malkin and Letang have already gone through the Michel Therrien coaching style. At their ages, they would want no part of that now. So I don't think hiring Claude Julien or Jacques Martin now is the way to go.

But you would think that a fresh young coach with OFFENSIVE ideas would be right up their alley. That guy in Saginaw in the OHL, for example. I never remember his name. But I could get behind doing something like that. Yes, this defense needs to get fixed. But if we actually played the right goaltender, improved the PP and got the first line back to the levels we are used to, that the team is used to, then at least we could compete. You always need to play to your strengths, and to your identity. Mike Sullivan's identity clashes so badly with how this team actually needs to play to be successful. Hence why we never replaced Phil Kessel.

but as always, the point is moot because the coach is secure.
My heart says YES, but my brain and gut say no. This team doesn't have the ponies anymore to be a high-tempo run-and-gun offense. Otherwise, you just hire Bruce Boudreau. I think they need a Paul Maurice—someone who implements a system that preaches defensive responsibility and structure.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
My heart says YES, but my brain and gut say no. This team doesn't have the ponies anymore to be a high-tempo run-and-gun offense. Otherwise, you just hire Bruce Boudreau. I think they need a Paul Maurice—someone who implements a system that preaches defensive responsibility and structure.
I'm totally on board with that. At this point, 87/71/58 should be too. I can't imagine they've particularly enjoyed the past couple seasons from a team-success standpoint, so they of all people should be open to a new coaching philosophy.

Edit: Also, if anything, a coaching change would give them some glimmer of hope that this thing is salvageable

Last edited:
Reactions: Gold Diamond

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm totally on board with that. At this point, 87/71/58 should be too. I can't imagine they've particularly enjoyed the past couple seasons from a team-success standpoint, so they of all people should be open to a new coaching philosophy.

Edit: Also, if anything, a coaching change would give them some glimmer of hope that this thing is salvageable
Imagine what a new coach with fresh ideas could do if he implements a system that lowers the number of missed defensive assignments and odd-man rushes could do for this team. Combine that with just the general bump in energy that comes with a new coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad