F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024, 14th, BUF)

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
They had a shortage of center projection and right shot forwards in general.
I mean from other teams' perspectives when they're looking at making trades. Buffalo already has to overpay in trades because they can't attract free agents but still need to fill certain roster spots with players they don't have internally. From an internal perspective they needed a guy like Helenius. But if you're another team looking at their depth chart, they have a lot of similar players already, and can't conceivably keep all of them.

It's probably more that Helenius was the right pick for them this year, but they should have made different picks in a previous draft(s), or traded a prospect or two when their value was a bit higher.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I mean from other teams' perspectives when they're looking at making trades. Buffalo already has to overpay in trades because they can't attract free agents but still need to fill certain roster spots with players they don't have internally. From an internal perspective they needed a guy like Helenius. But if you're another team looking at their depth chart, they have a lot of similar players already, and can't conceivably keep all of them.

It's probably more that Helenius was the right pick for them this year, but they should have made different picks in a previous draft(s), or traded a prospect or two when their value was a bit higher.

This sort of cartel behavior is extremely unlikely in a 32 actor multipass environment like the NHL. Made even less likely by the other actors directly competing.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Didn’t like the pick for Buffalo. Helenius at 14 is good value, but what you end up with is like Savoie. There are too many of these small forward prospects they compile and then when you have to trade some of them you don’t get good value because the ones you want to trade are going to be those with low stock.

Except Savoie (who was subsequently traded) plays a different role than Helenius.

He is a dynamic offense player. Buffalo's has several of then either on the NHL roster or close to being ready. Helenius projects as more of a two-way center, something lacking in Buffalo (thus the trade for McLeod).

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Except Savoie (who was subsequently traded) plays a different role than Helenius.

He is a dynamic offense player. Buffalo's has several of then either on the NHL roster or close to being ready. Helenius projects as more of a two-way center, something lacking in Buffalo (thus the trade for McLeod).
You realize that Savoie was projected to be the same thing initially? Now people are realizing he won’t be. Helenius is a smallish center without elite skating. Not exactly a player style teams are trying to load up with for their fourth line.

This sort of cartel behavior is extremely unlikely in a 32 actor multipass environment like the NHL. Made even less likely by the other actors directly competing.
Did you miss Savoie for McLeod?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
You realize that Savoie was projected to be the same thing initially? Now people are realizing he won’t be. Helenius is a smallish center without elite skating. Not exactly a player style teams are trying to load up with for their fourth line.

The easier conclusion is that Savoie wasn't worth as much to NHL GMs as he was here

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I was going to join the common sense answers to your nonsense parade but a cursory glance at your posting history shows a several years long commitment to shitting on Buffalo for everything. More than I’ve ever seen another team’s fan about a team that wasn’t there’s. So, instead, why don’t you just tell us when you’re going to wrap it up here and move on to bitching about how they play two anthems so the rest of us can discuss a team with zero right shot centers in the system drafting one you deem small as a 190 pound 17 year old putting up strong production in a men’s league. Save us the time.

The existence of Zach Benson discredits every f***ing point you try to make anyway.

Last edited:

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015

Savoie was never seriously considered a two-way forward, his defense was always a major weakness. Some people liked his hustle and were optimistic.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Savoie was never seriously considered a two-way forward, his defense was always a major weakness. Some people liked his hustle and were optimistic.
There’s no point. It’s not why he’s here. He knows full well there’s a trade thread he can shit in. He’s here because it’s not enough for him. Just stop responding.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was going to join the common sense answers to your nonsense parade but a cursory glance at your posting history shows a several years long commitment to shitting on Buffalo for everything. More than I’ve ever seen another team’s fan about a team that wasn’t there’s. So, instead, why don’t you just tell us when you’re going to wrap it up here and move on to bitching about how they play two anthems so the rest of us can discuss a team with zero right shot centers in the system drafting one you deem small as a 190 pound 17 year old putting up strong production in a men’s league. Save us the time.

The existence of Zach Benson discredits every f***ing point you try to make anyway.
You got me red handed. I hate your team and I hate it because you’re a fan of the team.

Right, but I’m just saying the same types of things were said about Savoie. He got Crosby comparisons. It is always difficult for smaller and non elite skating forwards to project well into an NHL lineup if their offensive game doesn’t translate.

It might for Savoie and it might for Helenius. Helenius might also be able to be a defensive 3C. I’m only saying that the “he’s very different” line of thinking is a little questionable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Size/weight doesn't always equate to strength, but if you caught any of his games in Finland you'll see that he did fine against men. He will not be one of those lightweight, neener, neener, forward prospects that BUF have a boatload of.

I see him as a lesser version of Cozens. 3C of the future, but possibly will be a top 9 W who knows how to play w/o the puck, which isn't the worst thing. A pick of substance, not an Olofsson type of player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I can think his ceiling is Aho & Lehkonen hybrid, his offensive potential is somewhere between the two. He plays the game right way like Lehkonen and Aho. Really smart player who has extremely high compete level. Has IQ to play with elite players and can be slotted everywhere in the lineup. He is a player who plays winning hockey.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Helenius is going to be a big guy… he’s built thick. 5-11 190 lbs at 18. His brothers are big. Size/strength isn’t a worry for this guy. I don’t get the narrative.

HF is like Tinder

1720461887059.jpeg

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
This is my first time in years I have actually seen a single person mention his defense being an issue.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Size/weight doesn't always equate to strength, but if you caught any of his games in Finland you'll see that he did fine against men. He will not be one of those lightweight, neener, neener, forward prospects that BUF have a boatload of.

I see him as a lesser version of Cozens. 3C of the future, but possibly will be a top 9 W who knows how to play w/o the puck, which isn't the worst thing. A pick of substance, not an Olofsson type of player.
I think his offense is being under sold good shot, instincts/vision and all around skating ability I could see lindholm also I believe liiga is one of the lower scoring leagues for draft eligible players.

Reactions: golgoXIII

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad