F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

Was curious and looked it up, his PPG puts him around 10th or 11th place. Behind the likes of Granlund, Kakko, Barkov, Puljujarvi, Laine, Lehkonen and so on. So I am not entirely sure what to make of it.

1650479404975.png

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
it basically means that only 2 players had more than 6 pts. Its just another view how to look at the stats. Obviously favors Slafkovsky but doesn't say that much

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Was curious and looked it up, his PPG puts him around 10th or 11th place. Behind the likes of Granlund, Kakko, Barkov, Puljujarvi, Laine, Lehkonen and so on. So I am not entirely sure what to make of it.

View attachment 533385
Few things.
First: How do we factor in team tactics/makeup? TPS is a defensive team, and that strategy obviously works for them as Slafkovsky and company has made it further than most players on that list. They scored 151 goals this regular season and let in just 137, not a huge gap, as a whole they don’t score much but keep the puck out of the net.
Let’s see how that compares to those teams that the guys on the list have played for (not including dman).

Mikael Granlund HIFK: 185 goals for, 152 against
Kakko TPS: 154 goals for, 152 against
Barkov Tappara: 178 goals for, 145 against
Puljujarvi Karpat: 178 goals for, 126 against
Laine Tappara: 177 goals for, 136 against
Lehkonen Kalpa: 172 goals for, 145 against
Terevainen Jokerit: 183 goals for, 155 against
Ikonen blues: 145 goals for, 165 against
Armia Assat: 176 goals for, 132 against

Of course this is the regular season, but you can see the considerable gaps in production. And I don’t think 1 17-18 year old is providing an extra 30-35 goals. TPS has continued their brand of hockey in the post season. They don’t score a ton, but they play defensively and that’s how they win.

Second: To build on the previous points the tactical setup that Slafkovsky is instructed to perform could be considerably different than how lehkonen, teravainen or puljujarvi was deployed.

Could Slafkovsky’s production be better in the post season? Sure it could, but I don’t think just looking at those numbers paints the entire picture of TPS path to the finals (in comparison to those other players and their teams).

Finally: If TPS got eliminated in 4,5,6,7 games like guys on this list did, he’d have a higher PPG. If they lost in 4, he’d be tied for first. If they lost in 5, he’d slot in right behind Laine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Few things.
First: How do we factor in team tactics/makeup? TPS is a defensive team, and that strategy obviously works for them as Slafkovsky and company has made it further than most players on that list. They scored 151 goals this regular season and let in just 137, not a huge gap, as a whole they don’t score much but keep the puck out of the net.
Let’s see how that compares to those teams that the guys on the list have played for (not including dman).

Of course this is the regular season, but you can see the considerable gaps in production. And I don’t think 1 17-18 year old is providing an extra 30-35 goals. TPS has continued their brand of hockey in the post season. They don’t score a ton, but they play defensively and that’s how they win.

Second: To build on the previous points the tactical setup that Slafkovsky is instructed to perform could be considerably different than how lehkonen, teravainen or puljujarvi was deployed.

Could Slafkovsky’s production be better in the post season? Sure it could, but I don’t think just looking at those numbers paints the entire picture of TPS path to the finals (in comparison to those other players and their teams).

Finally: If TPS got eliminated in 4,5,6,7 games like guys on this list did, he’d have a higher PPG. If they lost in 4, he’d be tied for first. If they lost in 5, he’d slot in right behind Laine.

On the other hand TPS' top line is actually scoring at a high clip, including Pyyhtia who is only two years older than Slafkovsky. That Slafkovsky's line doesn't score much could be on him or his linemates I wouldn't know.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
TPS' offence relies on 1st line and there's not much depth after that. Slafkovsky is the 5th best point producer on his team in these playoffs with his six points. That is good.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
On the other hand TPS' top line is actually scoring at a high clip, including Pyyhtia who is only two years older than Slafkovsky. That Slafkovsky's line doesn't score much could be on him or his linemates I wouldn't know.
3 years older, but there is history there too. Teemu Pulkinnen outscored teravainen in the playoffs when he was 2 years older, Kasperi Kapanen outscored Aho when he was 1 years older and Goldobin outscored Aho when he was 2 years older. There is also the opposite, Puljujarvi the way out produced Hintz in the 2015-16 playoffs but who is the better player now?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
3 years older, but there is history there too. Teemu Pulkinnen outscored teravainen in the playoffs when he was 2 years older, Kasperi Kapanen outscored Aho when he was 1 years older and Goldobin outscored Aho when he was 2 years older. There is also the opposite, Puljujarvi the way out produced Hintz in the 2015-16 playoffs but who is the better player now?

Two years and three months to be precise.

I'm not saying Pyyhtia is the better prospect, the point is really that TPS has high scoring players.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Few things.

Thanks for that, I don't watch any Liiga so I am definitely not informed. I watched Slafkovsky highlights and hope the Habs can get him but then I wasn't too impressed by the numbers. You bring up good points though, context matters.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Thanks for that, I don't watch any Liiga so I am definitely not informed. I watched Slafkovsky highlights and hope the Habs can get him but then I wasn't too impressed by the numbers. You bring up good points though, context matters.
I don't follow enough to have a clear opinion either, but could Liiga be better now then it was because of all the guys who came back from Russia?

• Wow
Reactions: Doc5

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I don't follow enough to have a clear opinion either, but could Liiga be better now then it was because of all the guys who came back from Russia?

The KHL players joined for like the last three weeks of the regular season and some didn't even play in the playoffs. There were 14 KHL players who came so I don't think they boosted the overall quality of the league that much in so short time. Slafkovsky's team didn't get any players, though their opponent in the finals has two.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
End of third he performed some nice dangles and walked through 2 Tappara players.

Reactions: mirec04

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
It is a shame that none of our TVs has bought the rights for these final games. I think that lot of people in Slovakia would watch it.

Reactions: hellwar9

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Any chance he makes it to 3rd overall ? Id say unlikely . And virtually impossible he falls to 4th. I want him on the Devils in a massive way but just don’t see it happening at all unless we win the lotto or a team swaps picks with us trading up .

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Any chance he makes it to 3rd overall ? Id say unlikely . And virtually impossible he falls to 4th. I want him on the Devils in a massive way but just don’t see it happening at all unless we win the lotto or a team swaps picks with us trading up .
He's no lock for #2. Still a chance someone takes Nemec or Cooley before him.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think after Wright that the next 4 could go in any order. Nemec, Jiricek, Slof, Cooley.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
TPS pretty much has only one line that can generate consistent offense 5v5. The rest are more or less in a checking role and that probably hurts Slaf's production. I don't really see a lot of chemistry between him and his linemates (Rodewald and Steenbergen lately), like you can see he is by far the most talented player on his line but he's also trying to do all the heavylifting on offense by himself which doesn't work for the most part. He can definitely make great use of his linemates when given space but in these tight playoff games there just isn't much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad