F Julius Nattinen - JYP, Liiga (2015, 59th, ANA; released)

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Last weekend Nättinen played with U18 team in Sweden. He did 8 (3+5) points in three games. Only Matthews had more points than him (9). Finland did only 11 goals.

So this season Nättinen has done 15 points (4+11) with U18 national team in 7 games.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He seems to produce insane numbers with the national team, but not with the club team:

Last year U17, 15 games, 7+19 = 26 points
This year U18, 7 games, 4+11 = 15 points

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
He seems to produce insane numbers with the national team, but not with the club team:

Last year U17, 15 games, 7+19 = 26 points
This year U18, 7 games, 4+11 = 15 points

It's much easier to score against his peers than playing against older guys in Finland.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Little off-topic but I think more finnish prospects who are not good enough to produce in FEL should go to CHL/OHL. Could really help their draft status.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Little off-topic but I think more finnish prospects who are not good enough to produce in FEL should go to CHL/OHL. Could really help their draft status.

Jea good point this is what I think harmed Kasperi Kapanen last year struggled with Kalpa while Honka was in better company at swift current.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Will be interesting to see where he ends up at the draft, if he keeps producing this well in Mestis(almost ppg for few months now) and in U18's national team(over 2 ppg).

He is 188 cm / 88 kg now (6'2 194lbs) so not a small guy at all.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He is interesting prospect. Today 1+1, so now he has 19 points (8+11) in 22 games in Mestis. I would like to see him more in Liiga. Where do you see him going at the draft?

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
How does he compare to his brother at the same age?

On his draft year, Joonas played 14 SM-Liiga games, but didn't have any points. He was over PPG in Jr. A Liiga and had some points in the few Mestis games with the national team. Joonas was also selected for the WJC-20 team and scored 3 points in 6 games.

Julius is almost PPG in Mestis. He wasn't selected for WJC-20 team, but has managed to get some SM-Liiga points.

Joonas ended up a total bust. Will Julius become better?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
How does he compare to his brother at the same age?

On his draft year, Joonas played 14 SM-Liiga games, but didn't have any points. He was over PPG in Jr. A Liiga and had some points in the few Mestis games with the national team. Joonas was also selected for the WJC-20 team and scored 3 points in 6 games.

Julius is almost PPG in Mestis. He wasn't selected for WJC-20 team, but has managed to get some SM-Liiga points.

Joonas ended up a total bust. Will Julius become better?

Well, what skills does Julius have? Joonas never had great hands or offensive abilities.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I just watched the video of Finland-Sweden in at the 5-Nations tournament in Czech Republic (happened a couple of weeks ago). Here's some things I noted about Nattinen. Keep in mind I'm just a fan, and I was only watching him for the first time.

He was very relaxed. He did everything in a relaxed manner- taking face-offs, carrying the puck, backchecking, playmaking. However, he never seemed to be out of position. He was always supporting the play by staying near the puck, so it was hard to tell if his relaxed manner represents a lack of intensity, or if he is just a cerebral positional player who waits and watches for his opportunity. The coaches used him as a first line centre and on the point on the first PP unit. Got off one good shot on net that I saw. Showed decent puck handling, passing, and vision, although he didn't show them often. He carried himself like a talented player, but I had a subjective feeling that he could have done more if initiated the play more often. Still, even one viewing was enough to see he has a tempting combination of size and skill.

I should note that he got 6 points in 4 games in this tournament. No points in this game though.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Once you can find a special prospect from Finland that is not overly hyped. Julius Nättinen played in C-juniors at the age of 13 scoring PPG.

Yeah it really helped Jonatan Tanus to get picked high in the NHL draft.

Jea good point this is what I think harmed Kasperi Kapanen last year struggled with Kalpa while Honka was in better company at swift current.

I'd say that playing in Liiga actually highened Kapanens draft position since Liiga is a better league and playing in there is kept as a better performance, than playing in juniors.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So he'll be playing in the CHL then?

Does the early transition mean more to international players than playing with men?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So he'll be playing in the CHL then?

Does the early transition mean more to international players than playing with men?

This just means that Barrie owns his CHL rights if he decides to go that route. You don't have to declare for the entry draft or anything, and every year there are players picked who have no intention of coming over to play junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad