Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why would we deal Keller instead of Schmaltz?
I didn't mention anything about trading Keller.

I would hope 80-85 is a low bar because that's barely an uptick from this year. There is no reason that with two component additions on D we shouldn't be competing for a playoff spot.
Without getting a 1C it's going to be hard to take that next step.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Mario Ferraro.

Have been a big fan of his for years. I think he can be a No. 4 guy, best case scenario, so the other we bring in would really need to be a top pair. Not the easiest thing to trade for. And ideally it's relatively short term too.

Assuming we draft a D this year, let's say Levshunov, and all our other D work out, how do we look let's say 3 seasons from now?

So for next year...

Moser - Vacant
Ferraro - Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring
Szuber/Koly

And in 3 years' time...

Simashev - Levshunov
Moser - Durzi
Duda - Lamoureux
Szuber/?

Gone: Valimaki, Kesselring, Ferraro, Koly?

As well - Where does Victor Soderstrom fit in all this? Maybe he goes with pick(s) for a D this summer. Gotta find a team that is up against the cap.

Reactions: Summer Rose

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
What does a Stamkos to Utah deal even look like 4yrs, 50mil, 12.5aav? Full NMC 1mil base, 11.5mil SB each year?
I don't see Stamkos leaving Tampa honestly.

Maybe Stevenson as a consolation prize? Still have to think that money is better spent on Skjei/Pesce.

Who are two Durzi-level D we can get for just picks?

New Durzi 1 - New Durzi 2
Moser - OG Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring

Maybe Whitecloud or another Vegas Dman.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who are two Durzi-level D we can get for just picks?

New Durzi 1 - New Durzi 2
Moser - OG Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring
Wonder if we could do a deal with Tampa where we we get Jeannot and Raddysh? The latter might be a bit of a sneaky pickup of a younger blueliner who could possibly help the PP.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It will be interesting to see what free agents want to come

I am not sure what hotels NHL teams stay at, but I heard a podcast today where they talked about what the players told RS that they wanted

1) was they wanted more support for their wives and families and wanted them to be treated better

2) they wanted to stay at better hotels

RS said done to both.. he said they will stay at the same hotels the Jazz stays at.

In the NBA part of the agreement is that teams stay at 5 star hotels.. so the Yotes will now get that..

Since hotels are supposedly not part of the CBA, I am not sure if NHL teams usually stay 5 star or not.

But that could be something that does attract free agents

I also think the welcome to Utah was likely watched by other players and could have favorable results
$$$$ attract players.

Be interesting to see what UFA's be wanting for salary and if this team will spend closer to the cap! I also think they could even gain advantage on teams who are tight on cap in trades at or after draft. Hoping they get green light to spend closer to cap and it means not only UFA's but possibly green light to trade some draft picks to make this team competitive. Goaltending is already solved but big improvements be on defense and if they can land a 1st line center. My list would include 2 defensemen who can play 1st line or 2nd line and starting 1st line center through UFA's or combo with trading. The defense is pretty much wide open and could go many different ways.
Why all this talk of spending to the cap? BA is not going to do it next year, and he has said as much and why. He is sticking to his plan.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Skjei and Pesce are going to want major term, especially to leave Carolina, and that doesn't jive with the timeline of our upcoming D. So, if you give them 7 years, where the hell do they fit in 2029, both roster and cap wise, when at that time we are expected to have Simashev, Lam, likely this year's pick, playing major roles?

As well, I'd say both Skjei and Pesce are closer to middle pair than bona fide top pair but will both be paid like top pair in free agency. I'd rather not. Give me a couple short/mid-term guys we can bring in via trade.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think it's near that much. Maybe if we were terrible.
Yr1: 14mil (6base/8SB)
Yr2: 12mil (6base/6SB)
Yr3: 10mil (6base/4SB)
Yr4: 8mil (all base)

That’s 44mil/11aav but leaves year four open to buyout. Would reduce the hit in the final year from 11 to 3.67 but add an extra year of 3.67. Even with a fourth year buyout he makes 40.33mil in real money on that deal.

Skjei and Pesce are going to want major term, especially to leave Carolina, and that doesn't jive with the timeline of our upcoming D. So, if you give them 7 years, where the hell do they fit in 2029, both roster and cap wise, when at that time we are expected to have Simashev, Lam, likely this year's pick, playing major roles?

As well, I'd say both Skjei and Pesce are closer to middle pair than bona fide top pair but will both be paid like top pair in free agency. I'd rather not. Give me a couple short/mid-term guys we can bring in via trade.
Agree. I think BA’s comments yesterday really rule out Skjei and Peace and Matt Roy types. I don’t think he wants to do 7yr deals on 29yr old UFAs. He said clearly he wouldn’t.

rt

May 13, 2004
Have been a big fan of his for years. I think he can be a No. 4 guy, best case scenario, so the other we bring in would really need to be a top pair. Not the easiest thing to trade for. And ideally it's relatively short term too.

Assuming we draft a D this year, let's say Levshunov, and all our other D work out, how do we look let's say 3 seasons from now?

So for next year...

Moser - Vacant
Ferraro - Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring
Szuber/Koly

And in 3 years' time...

Simashev - Levshunov
Moser - Durzi
Duda - Lamoureux
Szuber/?

Gone: Valimaki, Kesselring, Ferraro, Koly?

As well - Where does Victor Soderstrom fit in all this? Maybe he goes with pick(s) for a D this summer. Gotta find a team that is up against the cap.
Send Soderstrom to San Jose.

Trade a 2nd to TBL for Jeannot and Raddysh.

Trade a 2nd, 3rd, and Soda to SJS for Ferraro.

Sign Vincent Desharnais as a UFA

Moser-Durzi
Ferraro-Raddysh
Valimaki-Kesselring
Desharnais

rt

May 13, 2004
I think we've failed the offseason if we come back with Moser and Durzi as our top pair. We need at least one guy who is better than both.

Alternatively, is there a way we do Jeannot+Cernak (who’s NTC doesn’t kick in until this summer) for 2nds and Soderstrom/Jenik? Give Tampa around 8mil in cap relief.

Then we can just sign a Left Shot PP weapon as a UFA. Like Shayne Gostisbehere to a 2yr 12mil 6aav type deal.

Ghost-Cernak
Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Kesselring
Desharnais

rt

May 13, 2004
I wonder what TBL would want for Cernak+Jeannot? It would enable them to mix things up and probably to re-sign Stamkos to a discount deal to keep him a Lightning for life.

They have ZERO picks in the first FOUR rounds of this draft.

Would a pair of 2nds, maybe a 3rd, and one or both of Jeník/Soderstrom do the trick? They have to want to move on from Jeannot at this point.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
What does a Stamkos to Utah deal even look like 4yrs, 50mil, 12.5aav? Full NMC 1mil base, 11.5mil SB each year?
Dude is 34...completely not interested. Especially not to be paying him a bunch of bank into his 38th year.

I wonder what TBL would want for Cernak+Jeannot? It would enable them to mix things up and probably to re-sign Stamkos to a discount deal to keep him a Lightning for life.

They have ZERO picks in the first FOUR rounds of this draft.

Would a pair of 2nds, maybe a 3rd, and one or both of Jeník/Soderstrom do the trick? They have to want to move on from Jeannot at this point.
Jeannot would be nice add.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'm not really concerned about the PP. We have Durzi. I want size, balls, toughness, and heart. A Michalek or Hjalmarsson type who can play 20-minute, mistake-free hockey.

This thought is why names like Skjei and Pesce come up. All of these aren't true 1/2D but the goal really is taking some hard minutes up.

Other names that come to mind include Whitecloud, Hague, Dillon, Roy, DeMelo, Lindgren, Walker, etc.

Really these are all second pairing. I know BA said no splashes but getting one of the Canes Dmen isn't really that and really shouldn't mess up the cap.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Possibly, but if they can keep their play up like say a McDonagh then it would not be an issue with the cap going up. Counting on products and future picks to be impact players is risky. There are cheaper alternatives, they just won't be as good likely over the next 3 years.

Building through the draft is always best but it doesn't mean the final pieces or ask the pieces come from there.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To me the bigger risk is big ticket deals for non top-tier UFAs. Free agency can be a great option to supplement your roster, but you gotta be careful. The crop is always littered with landmines. One big overpay and your whole cap is f***ed.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Heck no. Very happy with Keller at his salary and production vs Marner and his 14 year old boy behaviour.
I somewhat agree but another thing to consider is that this is not Toronto, there would be a lot less pressure on him here. He would be coming in with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he actually is a good playoff performer and that he was not the problem in Toronto. They didn’t handle him well, as a teenager they annoited him as their hometown hero who was gonna lead them to a cup and he had to carry the weight of all their past playoff failures on his shoulders. The kid is ridiculously talented and I could see him thriving here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
BA said something yesterday about part of the reason why he loved to draft Cooley and Guenther is their willingness and drive to go to the net.

That's not Mitch Marner. There is a viral clip right now of him purposely giving up possession to a Bruins player and then trying to skate around him to get the puck back in order to avoid a hit. Something like that must make BA's eyes bleed.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
The issue with Marner isn't that he is a good player. He is. It's his price tag and term and how much of a drop in production will he have when he isn't playing with Matthews.
Exactly right.
I somewhat agree but another thing to consider is that this is not Toronto, there would be a lot less pressure on him here. He would be coming in with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he actually is a good playoff performer and that he was not the problem in Toronto. They didn’t handle him well, as a teenager they annoited him as their hometown hero who was gonna lead them to a cup and he had to carry the weight of all their past playoff failures on his shoulders. The kid is ridiculously talented and I could see him thriving here.
Unless Marner would take a massive cut, he is not enough of an upgrade over Keller (if he is an upgrade) to merit the cost. Keller is locked in at $7 through '27-'28 and he is entering his peak years. The Leafs are a case study in roster mismanagement and overpaid celebrities. No cause to help them out of the hole they have dug.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad