F John "LJ" Mooney - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite, U16 AAA (2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Lol people drooling over a player that is 5'5 and 140 pounds? Yes I see the skill and speed but this is like drooling over Dhooge a few years ago. Yes a fan favorite but I mean c'mon guys lets wake up and smell the roses here.
that measurement is likely outdated probably more like 5'6"-5'7" assume he grows to 5'9" or 5'10" he's probably a lot better than Caufield was at this age even if he only grows to 5'7" and the 5'5" is accurate it wont hurt him that much

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Lol people drooling over a player that is 5'5 and 140 pounds? Yes I see the skill and speed but this is like drooling over Dhooge a few years ago. Yes a fan favorite but I mean c'mon guys lets wake up and smell the roses here.
Man didn’t realize the 2005 draft is next week…. Oh wait it’s not, it’s nearly 2 years away. He has plenty of time to grow to 5’9 or 5’10 like the rest of his family is.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He is bigger than 5’5 now. Dhooge was 5’1 when he went into NTDP and still only stands 5’3 today….and also wasn’t half the player Mooney was

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
NTDP measurements for the upcoming season will be coming out in the next couple of weeks. The program doesn't inflate measurements, so we'll know soon enough whether Mooney has the potential size to be a top prospect or if his size is a major red flag barring dominance and/or a growth spurt.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Except Dhooge only grew to 5'3" quite a difference don't you think?

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
He is bigger than 5’5 now. Dhooge was 5’1 when he went into NTDP and still only stands 5’3 today….and also wasn’t half the player Mooney was

Except Dhooge only grew to 5'3" quite a difference don't you think?
Is this for real? The guy is actually only 5'3'' as an adult male in the year 2023?

EDIT: Looked it up, that's what EP says. My lord that's small.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is why these discussions pre-juniors mean so little. The players are a lot shorter below juniors, and like 99% of them don't end up playing high level junior, NCAA, or pro hockey where the players are true world class athletes. You can dominate by being a lot faster and more skilled than everyone else pre-junior because there's almost never any competitors you face that have all the components. Once you get to junior, having the skating and puck game is still the most important, but players start meeting challenges if that's all they have.

Having never seen him play, I would still say he could go second or maybe late first round if he grows a little and gets a little stronger. You look at players like Caufield and Stankoven. If you have NHL talent and are a few inches shorter than 5'10, you can still be picked pretty high. It's probably going to eliminate him being a top 10 pick though, if he doesn't get to 5'10.

Reactions: wetcoast

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
NTDP measurements are out. He's 5'6 and 145. Definitely not a top prospect without a significant growth spurt and/or him displaying a truly elite element to his game buoyed by playing a somewhat stocky style at that size a la Caufield.

They posted him with Carter Amico (6'5") and the height difference was comical

He's what an inch shorter than Caufield probably a better player at that age as well, he can still be a 10-20 range pick if he doesnt grow that much

Last edited:

IWillMakeTheNHL

May 13, 2023

He's what an inch shorter than Caufield probably a better player at that age as well, he can still be a 10-20 range pick if he doesnt grow that much
Can you post that picture I cannot find it

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I think it's too early to say if he's better than Caufield at the same age. It's very hard to index U16 players against each other. Mooney certainly has more name recognition and hype pre-NTDP but that doesn't necessarily mean he is better at the same age. We'll know in a couple of months.

Mooney is 1 cm shorter and 10 pounds lighter at the start of their U17 seasons. Caufield didn't grow much at the NTDP or since. He grew a little bit to 5'7 and put on 29 pounds in 5 years. It's certainly not unreasonable to think Mooney at least matches those measurements over time but his playing style and abilities matter a lot, too. Caufield is small but he plays a somewhat stout style at his size. And as a goal scorer, his game has always been predicated more on finding open ice without the puck than being the guy who's consistently carrying the puck, which seems to be more of Mooney's M.O. from highlights.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
This is why these discussions pre-juniors mean so little. The players are a lot shorter below juniors, and like 99% of them don't end up playing high level junior, NCAA, or pro hockey where the players are true world class athletes. You can dominate by being a lot faster and more skilled than everyone else pre-junior because there's almost never any competitors you face that have all the components. Once you get to junior, having the skating and puck game is still the most important, but players start meeting challenges if that's all they have.

Having never seen him play, I would still say he could go second or maybe late first round if he grows a little and gets a little stronger. You look at players like Caufield and Stankoven. If you have NHL talent and are a few inches shorter than 5'10, you can still be picked pretty high. It's probably going to eliminate him being a top 10 pick though, if he doesn't get to 5'10.
Lol what? He was playing up a year in the best AAA loop in America. A simple EP search can show you he led the NE Pack in scoring a year younger than everybody, and that league is loaded with D1 commits and kids playing USHL this upcoming season.

You will be surprised at how uberly skilled Mooney is. He will be the top scorer on NTDP.

Reactions: clevelandcane

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
NHL isn’t the end all be all.

Dude will likely be a tremendous college player and is a possible draft pick, identifying that at a young age is pretty accurate/impressive/whatever you want to call it tbh.
Not even “possible” draft pick, he’ll get drafted, even if he doesn’t grow an inch, just not as high as once anticipated

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol what? He was playing up a year in the best AAA loop in America. A simple EP search can show you he led the NE Pack in scoring a year younger than everybody, and that league is loaded with D1 commits and kids playing USHL this upcoming season.

You will be surprised at how uberly skilled Mooney is. He will be the top scorer on NTDP.
Not saying he’s not good, but there’s little difference between being 5’10 as opposed to 5’6 in AAA. How many serious recruits to NCAA or eventual impactful junior players are there per team? The majority of players he’s going against on a shift to shift basis are never going to make it that far. When he’s that much more skilled and faster than them, it doesn’t matter that he’s one of the shortest guys out there. It’s not like these are all world class athletes. Once you get to junior when you are facing rosters where everyone can keep up on the hockey ability side of things, even if he’ll be faster and more skilled, being 5’6 145 hits it’s roadblocks. He can get away with it as he does pre-junior, but the jump is so high in the caliber of the players that being 5’6 145 will start to matter. Not saying he won’t be very good either. What he won’t be is a player being talked about as one of the best in his draft class, as he was until it became clear what his current height and weight were.

Do you remember Colby Saganiuk and Jeremy Wilmer? They were among the most hyped players going into the NTDP, and neither ever got drafted. Their names are barely known anymore. Ryan Fine was similar. Not drafted. Mooney is probably better than those players. He could be what Caufield was, or what hopefully Swanson is, but once you get to junior, it starts being in focus and mattering that you are that small. It could have something to do with the fact that there’s more discussion about the players and the draft is getting closer for them, but I digress.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyle44

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Not saying he’s not good, but there’s little difference between being 5’10 as opposed to 5’6 in AAA. How many serious recruits to NCAA or eventual impactful junior players are there per team? The majority of players he’s going against on a shift to shift basis are never going to make it that far. When he’s that much more skilled and faster than them, it doesn’t matter that he’s one of the shortest guys out there. It’s not like these are all world class athletes. Once you get to junior when you are facing rosters where everyone can keep up on the hockey ability side of things, even if he’ll be faster and more skilled, being 5’6 145 hits it’s roadblocks. He can get away with it as he does pre-junior, but the jump is so high in the caliber of the players that being 5’6 145 will start to matter. Not saying he won’t be very good either. What he won’t be is a player being talked about as one of the best in his draft class, as he was until it became clear what his current height and weight were.

Do you remember Colby Saganiuk and Jeremy Wilmer? They were among the most hyped players going into the NTDP, and neither ever got drafted. Their names are barely known anymore. Ryan Fine was similar. Not drafted. Mooney is probably better than those players. He could be what Caufield was, or what hopefully Swanson is, but once you get to junior, it starts being in focus and mattering that you are that small. It could have something to do with the fact that there’s more discussion about the players and the draft is getting closer for them, but I digress.
His league last year was loaded with 16 year olds who will be playing in the USHL next year as 17 year olds. He was the leading scorer in the league and dominated. You are severely discrediting AAA hockey.

Wilmer and Saganiuk were average/below average skaters which held them back. Mooney is an elite skater with elite offensive ability. I respect your opinions around here but I think you are going to be surprised

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I just loved the kid's game the one time I saw him live. He dominated every time he was on the ice. At this stage, he just needs to dominate the players in front of him. I know this is a forum about NHL prospects but I just choose to appreciate these kids for their current status. Mooney is the best kid I've seen in the last two years along with James Hagens.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

LJ Mooney = Future GOAT ya herd it here 1st

Keller, Gaudreau, Marner all seem to be doing just fine. Jesper Bratt just signed for 63 million dollars. Adam Fox, Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes are premier players in the NHL as sub 6'0 defenseman. Size isn't everything fellas it's official.

sidenote serious question : Is the USNTDP the best program going? Has any other development team put out more top 6 players in the last 10 years?

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
sidenote serious question : Is the USNTDP the best program going? Has any other development team put out more top 6 players in the last 10 years?

In terms of raw numbers, probably by miles. Probably better than most leagues. So it should be given how it recruits.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
LJ Mooney = Future GOAT ya herd it here 1st

Keller, Gaudreau, Marner all seem to be doing just fine. Jesper Bratt just signed for 63 million dollars. Adam Fox, Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes are premier players in the NHL as sub 6'0 defenseman. Size isn't everything fellas it's official. Top 10 pick written all over this player.

Yes but its not really a fair comparison. If Canada did a similar program as NTDP it would be them

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
O no, not some version of this conversation again taking over a thread
I hope it doesn't start the age-old debacle. My point was that it's impossible to compare the NTDP to any other program right now. I do wonder why Hockey Canada hasn't looked into the NTDP structure though.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Serious question...if he is 5'6" right now, how much taller is he likely to grow? I honestly have no idea how much the average 16 year old grows. I would have assumed not much, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad