F John "LJ" Mooney - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite, U16 AAA (2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I just find it hard to believe that he’s a better prospect than Hagens
Hagens is a lot more projectable. Mooney for sure has a higher ceiling though.

Right now Hagens is a more complete player and a lot of that has to do with playing with the NTDP. Mooney is playing up an age group and is the best player on the ice most nights. Mooney could play up an age year on the u17 NTDPs right now if it was allowed.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Yeah, me too. That's a day-and-a-half of driving for me.

Found the tourney website, well the part for the 16U group with Mooney and Roobroeck. BK Selects are there, too.

EDIT: Sorry, my guess that it was Mooney's team was wrong. It is a 16U tournament and he is on Pittsburgh's 16U team, but it's the 15U team that is going to this tournament.
Thanks for the info! I'll use that link to follow along.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Cullen Potter is up there, William Moore if he decides to represent USA internationally is up there.

Other notable kids include Cole McKinney, William Belle, Masun Fleeve, Gavin Kor, Conrad Fondrk, Lucas Sawchyn, Cooper Dennis, William Horcoff just to name a few
Sawchyn and Horcoff are duals as well i think.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sawchyn and Horcoff are duals as well i think.
I’m not entirely sure with Horcoff - his father played in Edmonton when he was born, but it is reported he was born in Birmingham, Michigan. Anyway - I don’t see anyway Horcoff doesn’t represent the USA internationally however.

Sawchyn is for sure a dual citizen - and it’ll be interesting to see what his brother, Graycn does. It likely gives a clearer picture of what Lucas will do. I still believe both are likely to represent USA.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I watched him today. The Pens played Gilmour academy in Cleveland. He is definitely the real deal at this age. Pens lost 3-5 by the way in an upset.

His skating ability, his edges, his motor, and his pick handling really stood out. He is patient but when he decides to go, he has another gear.

I believe he had 1 assist today, no goals. He did have a breakaway but was stoned by the G.

One thing that I saw and did not like was the abuse he endured. The kid is on the small side and is a year younger than the others. The Gilmour kids took some cheap shots at him. Much to his credit, he did not back down and did not overreact.

The fans for Gilmour knew him and were on him too. I'm guessing he endures this everywhere he goes. Much to his teammates ' credit, they were there to support him - especially Sewicke.

One other kid stood out for me and I've seen him before and enjoy his game. That's Patrick Fortune. Smaller kid but good skater and quick shot. Scored one of the Pens goals today.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I watched him today. The Pens played Gilmour academy in Cleveland. He is definitely the real deal at this age. Pens lost 3-5 by the way in an upset.

His skating ability, his edges, his motor, and his pick handling really stood out. He is patient but when he decides to go, he has another gear.

I believe he had 1 assist today, no goals. He did have a breakaway but was stoned by the G.

One thing that I saw and did not like was the abuse he endured. The kid is on the small side and is a year younger than the others. The Gilmour kids took some cheap shots at him. Much to his credit, he did not back down and did not overreact.

The fans for Gilmour knew him and were on him too. I'm guessing he endures this everywhere he goes. Much to his teammates ' credit, they were there to support him - especially Sewicke.

One other kid stood out for me and I've seen him before and enjoy his game. That's Patrick Fortune. Smaller kid but good skater and quick shot. Scored one of the Pens goals today.
Thanks for sharing that. Always great to get a first-hand scouting report.

Reactions: clevelandcane

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for sharing that. Always great to get a first-hand scouting report

Thanks for sharing that. Always great to get a first-hand scouting report.
Almost forgot. Folks want to compare him to Hagens. I thought they were very different players. Hagens is more deceptive and calm. Mooney was quick and all over the ice. I'd love to see the both more. Hard to describe but both are fantastic.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Vince Trocheck shouted out Mooney today when interviewed by the Pittsburgh media in Pittsburgh for a game later tonight.

Said he knows him, along with Cooley. Seems like all the Pittsburgh players know each other and stick together.
They skate in the summers together...same with most pro's/high end younger guys in most american cities since they'll work with the same coaches/trainers

STL the tkachucks, marron, widemans etc.....

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Vince Trocheck shouted out Mooney today when interviewed by the Pittsburgh media in Pittsburgh for a game later tonight.

Said he knows him, along with Cooley. Seems like all the Pittsburgh players know each other and stick together.
This video was posted five years ago. Not sure it's been included in the thread yet.

Reactions: bigdog16

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022

Video from 7 years ago about him find it cool to see now considering this has millions of views

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Chase Allen is one of the best in the scene for up-and-coming prospect evaluation. He is an amazing follow on twitter for anyone looking to follow prospects more.
A bit hard to take seriously with that profile pic, to be honest.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Cullen Potter is up there, William Moore if he decides to represent USA internationally is up there.

Other notable kids include Cole McKinney, William Belle, Masun Fleeve, Gavin Kor, Conrad Fondrk, Lucas Sawchyn, Cooper Dennis, William Horcoff just to name a few
Potter is an absolutely amazing skater. My kid skates with him and his parents and it is mind blowing to see how he moves.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Does this kid have the greatest potential to compete with Misa and Hagens for the best player of 2025?
I think its always been the case he's seen as the top 07 American and ahead of his cousin Logan Cooley at the same age - only thing that could be a hinderance is the size

Reactions: JotAlan

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Lol people drooling over a player that is 5'5 and 140 pounds? Yes I see the skill and speed but this is like drooling over Dhooge a few years ago. Yes a fan favorite but I mean c'mon guys lets wake up and smell the roses here.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad