F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
No he wouldn't. GMs pass on guys for all sorts of reasons. The Russian factor definitely didn't help demidov since Top 2 talents in the draft were clearly Mack and Demidov in my opinion.
Macklin is a step below what Hughes was as a prospect too. And Demidov, russian factor or not, is a step below Celebrini.

Again, Hughes is a top 2 prospect drafted in the last 8 years behind only Bedard.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
@FlyguyOX it is okay to change your opinion on his skating. Feel free to do so, at any time. The guy is still developing.

If this does nothing for your opinion....at what point will you change your mind?
Decent wind up in own zone with nhl average power. Nice creative idea at blue line. That said, I don't see guys in the NHL coast from the center red line to the opponents goalie blue very often. It doesn't make me think his skating is bad, but it doesn't make me think it's a strength. I don't think skating was a big part of that play.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Macklin is a step below what Hughes was as a prospect too. And Demidov, russian factor or not, is a step below Celebrini.

Again, Hughes is a top 2 prospect drafted in the last 8 years behind only Bedard.

As a whole i think your point in general is correct. But I think we forget how much Hype Dahlin had coming in. I'd have ranked him ahead of Hughes Pre-drafts. Now is a different story

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Decent wind up in own zone with nhl average power. Nice creative idea at blue line. That said, I don't see guys in the NHL coast from the center red line to the opponents goalie blue very often. It doesn't make me think his skating is bad, but it doesn't make me think it's a strength. I don't think skating was a big part of that play.
I appreciate your thoughts....seem reasonable. To me, the coasting or gliding through the neutral zone, is indicative of a strong lower body and edgework. You can see him shift his weight, which assists him in keeping his momentum as he approaches the defender. It's that stance and glide that allows him to make quick decisions, like bouncing the puck off the boards and slicing through the defence. It is harder to read for the defencemen, as he can do so much from that stance, as opposed to if he was actively skating or crossing over as he approached. It slows the play down for him, while keeping the defence guessing. It's brilliant. Similar to how Crosby uses his lower body to generate power and speed.

Fair points, to mention NHL. This is indeed the KHL, and it is a step faster in the show. But, that is very exciting and very enticing for us Habs fans.

I believe he has elite edge work. His straight line speed will be tested in a foot race, but even average NHL straight line speed with elite edges, is a huge problem for opposing players.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
It wasn’t clear at all to the scouts . There was tons of variance in the top 5 . Great start regardless . I just want to make it clear , just because I prefer another prospect to Demidov doesn’t mean I’m hoping he fails or he isn’t a great prospect . He is and I expect him to be very very good . As a hockey fan the more talent entering the league the better . Good luck to him this year .
I think there was two reasons why he didn't go top2:
1-Russian factor
2-He played in a very weak league and no international tournaments

That's two major question marks when you pick that high.

Reactions: waitin425

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who are all these Demidov haters? Seems like he’s pretty widely regarded as one of the best players from the 2024 draft, and it’s a matter of if you see him as the best or second best or like fifth best. Isn’t it reasonable to have him three or five slots lower than you did? Not sure who these big Demidov haters are.

If anything, what has become annoying are a few of his most boisterous backers who bring up other players at every turn to say he’s better than them, and that are trying to force you into agreeing with them that Demidov is going to be a superstar.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022

That's fair about Hughes but I was just talking this 2024 draft.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
So he's instantly showing he can create at the KHL level against the defending champs of the league in his first game, that's surprising. I'm willing to bet we can all watch the usual suspects move the goalposts and start saying this isn't the NHL right?

He was one of the best players on the ice and had the least ice time to show it in. Also very funny that he was the fastest skater on the ice, where's the response from the 'below average' skating crowd.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Celebrini is such a smarter player than Hughes. His defence alone makes him more valuable in a playoff format. If he can put up 90 pts and be a selke candidate every year, he's better than Hughes who'll get 100-110 pts and is booty defensively

Superlative Soup

Lights too bright
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
So he's instantly showing he can create at the KHL level against the defending champs of the league in his first game, that's surprising. I'm willing to bet we can all watch the usual suspects move the goalposts and start saying this isn't the NHL right?

He was one of the best players on the ice and had the least ice time to show it in. Also very funny that he was the fastest skater on the ice, where's the response from the 'below average' skating crowd.
Easy to skate fast when you're well rested :naughty:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think there was two reasons why he didn't go top2:
1-Russian factor
2-He played in a very weak league and no international tournaments

That's two major question marks when you pick that high.
That or the teams wanted more size / physicality and or D instead of a mostly pure skill guy . Lindstrom and Sennecke are unicorns 🦄 if they pan out . But certainly more swing and miss imo to that potential play .

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Celebrini is such a smarter player than Hughes. His defence alone makes him more valuable in a playoff format. If he can put up 90 pts and be a selke candidate every year, he's better than Hughes who'll get 100-110 pts and is booty defensively
Yeah anyway Hughes gives up less chances against than any player on MTL over the last 3 years.

Also Macklin Celebrini is very unlikely to become a selke level center.

But sure, if Macklin becomes a selke level center, and Jack hughes has a significant defensive regression from what he has shown, while not improving offensively, Macklin could be better

Edit: Lehkonen is the exception*

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad